Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The big Beats thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Are you sure they are genuine? Were they sold by Amazon or a reseller on there?

If they crackle they're not right unless your going very high. They are overpriced but shouldn't crackle. They have a 2 year warranty. Send them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I got the Pro's and have to admit, I am quite impressed with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

look on youtube,theres a fella on there showing the fake ones v real ones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Over-priced bassy junk with a great marketing campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

No I'm fairly sure they're real, may watch a few of those vids as user friendly suggested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Depending on the song or video quality they're very hit and miss, meaning the right speaker will crackle and sound crap, not sure if its a dodgy set I have but 70% of the time they're fine,

That sounds like you've a damaged driver or something is wrong with them.

Try get a monaural recording so the same sound goes to both sides.

If you can discern a noticeable difference between left and right return them as faulty as new headphones shouldn't make that noise.

Also Beats are terrible value for money and even the detail of fakes can be scarily good. A youtube video is never going to be able to tell you if your's is genuine or not only a side by side comparison.

http://www.google.ie/search?gcx=w&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=head+fi+beats+by+dre+fakes

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Guys be very carefull buying Beats online so so many fakes, price might look good but i guarntee sound quallity will be no where near as good

Some would say that even if you manage to buy genuine ones, the sound quality wont be nearly as good as that of decent headphones. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Beats get beaten by half-priced headphones from good manufacturers.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Indeed, stick with the likes of Sennheiser etc who don't need expensive endorsements to sell quality headphones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Kabutofro

Yeah I would defo avoid over-priced headphones like Beat by Dre, the sound is not that impressive and the build quality is very poor for the price. Like for that price you would expect to have at least a little eargasm, but it's more like a wet willy after sloppy seconds. much better headphones out there in the market, try a pair of Shure SRH240 or SRH440 for much less money, a far superior detailed sound and look quite similar to the Beats by Dre, same kind of contours and padding.

why not have a look at the Sony MDR-XB700 or Sennheiser HD-205-II while your at it, both awesome headphones in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I had money to spend and had been gunning for a pair of AKG Q701 headphones, lined up on eBay to buy a pair, and then saw Beats by Dre (Studio edition) - and impulse bought them...worst mistake I ever made. They are genuine, bought from a reputable audio seller (had multiple other auctions and great feedback for dj equipment)

Awful sounding, bloated bass which smothers all other sound. AAA batteries needed for them to function with the Noise Cancelling, wont function without battery power.
    As stated above a well branded marketing campaign selling the brand and the image (which sucked me in) but with absolutely no basis on sound quality.

My 2 cent's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

I bought the studios when they first came out a few years ago, no idea how much they were, correct me if im wrong 250 - 300 euro.

used em for a while, ya they are stylish and have the clean almost apple look, and sound loud, the acoustic noise cancelling trick is flashy too, but after a while, i stopped using them, as they are just boom boom boom boom boom the whole time, its great for some songs but d rather my music to sound the way it should not bass heavy the whole time.
    amd the battery's were a pain to have to carry around, build quality wasnt great, mate of mines broke within 18 months, and he took care of them.

Using akg k701's now
    200 euro on thomann at the moment, and the most true sounding headphones at the price. look cool too in my opinion and if you wanna say something about loud, 102db haha

thats just my experience, from someone whos owned the beats, and says no thanks, just de dre putting his name behind an overpriced and under performing product

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Jagle wrote: »
    Just de dre putting his name behind an overpriced and under performing product

Most owners of those headphones will never know this though.

Morf wrote: »
    Most owners of those headphones will never know this though.

ya so what, all these guys before the beat came out were happy to use those terrible white ones that came as standard on ipods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Kabutofro

saw an ad in metro herald today, beats earphones now coming with new HTC, I knew this was eventually gonna happen after HTC bought a stake in Monster Cable, it looks pretty sweet but I know from my previous experiences with beats I know what to expect!

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Jagle wrote: »
    I bought the studios when they first came out a few years ago, no idea how much they were, correct me if im wrong 250 - 300 euro.

used em for a while, ya they are stylish and have the clean almost apple look, and sound loud, the acoustic noise cancelling trick is flashy too, but after a while, i stopped using them, as they are just boom boom boom boom boom the whole time, its great for some songs but d rather my music to sound the way it should not bass heavy the whole time.
    amd the battery's were a pain to have to carry around, build quality wasnt great, mate of mines broke within 18 months, and he took care of them.

Using akg k701's now
    200 euro on thomann at the moment, and the most true sounding headphones at the price. look cool too in my opinion and if you wanna say something about loud, 102db haha

thats just my experience, from someone whos owned the beats, and says no thanks, just de dre putting his name behind an overpriced and under performing product

That seems to be the trick for inferior headphones alright, throw a load of bass in! I remember the same with Skullcandy headphones in a place I worked a few years back, every set was just loaded with bass.

That seems to be the trick for inferior headphones alright, throw a load of bass in! I remember the same with Skullcandy headphones in a place I worked a few years back, every set was just loaded with bass.

yep several friends of mine wanted skullkandy headphones cos they look cool, i begged them all to spend the same money on some sennheisers instead.
    why buy something intended for listening too based upon its looks?
    you dont guy glasses because they sound good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 riddimilike

it depends on what you mean by 'good looking'. personally I think the beats are ugly. and skullcandy look even uglier. I see sennheiser are starting to do a lot of colours now on a few of their ranges. orange/white.......dark red and black.......etc check them out, beautiful and great sound

310775_210809998987179_140384279363085_463930_1986164820_n.jpg

298534_210694548998724_140384279363085_463440_329051217_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

I've been looking at getting a new set of headphones and have had my eye on them Sennheiser HD 229 (orange/white pair) but want to get a review on them before I order them. They were only released yesterday so hopefully there might be something in the next week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭007.57

are the sennheiser 229's not just the 228's with a splash of new colour? only difference I can see from the specs is the Impedance is 16, not 24 ohm's like the 228's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Over-priced bassy junk with a great marketing campaign.

They're basically in the same category as Bose ie average stuff priced at premium levels targeted at this who don't know any better. You have to give them credit for pulling it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Was originally looking at picking up a pair of these for my father as he spends a lot of time on his computer and laptop listening and playing around with music and watching videos online etc.... and thought he could do with a decent set of headphones that where nice and comfortable with good sound.

I'm now thinking of getting him the AKG K701 instead, they seem to be much more reasonably priced have pretty good reviews all around.

Would anybody on here recommend the AKG K701's for the type of use I mentioned above or would 200euro be a waste. The more I look into the beats by dre the more I realise it would be a total waste to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Jofspring wrote: »
    Was originally looking at picking up a pair of these for my father as he spends a lot of time on his computer and laptop listening and playing around with music and watching videos online etc.... and thought he could do with a decent set of headphones that where nice and comfortable with good sound.

I'm now thinking of getting him the AKG K701 instead, they seem to be much more reasonably priced have pretty good reviews all around.

Would anybody on here recommend the AKG K701's for the type of use I mentioned above or would 200euro be a waste. The more I look into the beats by dre the more I realise it would be a total waste to get them.

The Akg 701 (probably) needs an amp. It also doesn't put out much bass so it's not everyone's cup of tea. I've not heard it, but from reading about it, it's meant to be good for some classical music and smooth jazz (nice!) but it doesn't do other genres very well.

I think they're a beautiful looking headphone but without a proper amp or source (I'm not sure what pc soundcard your pc has) to back it up I'd look elsewhere. Another thing is that it's an open design, so sound leaks in and out.

Within your budget there is an awful lot of great sounding headphones you could consider. Here is a really good head to head review of several leading headphones within your budget: http://www.headfonia.com/closed-cans-shootout-m-50-esw-9-t50p-hd25-1-beats-studio-srh-840-srh-750dj-k181dj-and-dj1pro/

Another one to look read up on is the superlux 668b which costs shy of €50 but sounds like it cost significantly more, something to keep in mind if spending ~ €200 on headphones for someone who mightn't appreciate them fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I bought a pair of Beats Solo HD's at the start of the year and while I agree the €200 price tag is steep I disagree with those saying the sound quality is bad. I've had a few sets of headphones and used others such as Sennheiser and ones priced up to €300 but the best sounding pair I've ever used owned are the Beats. Anyone that has ever used them has agreed the sound is great.

Although they do have a great sound the build quality is terrible and they aren't comfortable to wear for long periods of time. I use them usually when I'm online listening to new songs or whatever so for me it suits me well but I wouldn't be able to use them for hours on end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 galligan.n

has anyone used the beatsbydre ireland website ? .. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

If it's a lot cheaper than what they usually are, then it's a scam. there are thousands of those sites

• Registered Users Posts: 2 galligan.n

thats what im afraid of ? .. just wondering has anyone used it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I would be wary of any site except the official one.

If you're looking at beatsbydresale-Ireland . com, that site looks dodgy to me. VERY cheap and no phone number to call. I could wrong, but be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,299 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Less than half retail price, a dodgy designed site and you wonder are they legit, ofcourse they are :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

hi everyone at the moment im using beats wireless and hate them i went back to my pair studio and love them :D

tho with wireless i could control song volume & change song with a click on a button without taking my iphone from my pocket

is there a cable i can get where i can control volume of song and change song with the wired pair without every having to take my phone from my pocket

many thanks in advance

Advertisement