Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The big Beats thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bulman91

Hi,
    Could anyone confirm if this website is legitimate or not?
    http://www.beatsbydresaleretail.com/beats-by-dr-dre-solo-hd-on-ear-headphones-with-controltalk-white.htm
    Thanks!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Look like they could be fakes, they don't accept PayPal which is never a good sign, they don't say where they ship from plus they guarantee that you pay no sales tax.

Dodgy

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭cup of tea

I'd avoid with a 10 ft pole. Even looking at this... http://www.monstercable.com/counterfeit/dealers_blk.asp The amount of fake dr.dre sites is huge. 80% off, if it's too good to be true then it usually is. You will a) get fakes b) get nothing imo

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Check the about us and faq section. The English is terrible. Also, why the hell would they use that ridiculous URL. Avoid, they're more than likely fake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Elysian

Bulman91 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Could anyone confirm if this website is legitimate or not?
    http://www.beatsbydresaleretail.com/beats-by-dr-dre-solo-hd-on-ear-headphones-with-controltalk-white.htm
    Thanks!:)

The site is designed terribly plus I can't see any mention of an address or phone number on the site (usually a tell tale sign that somethings not right).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

This is now the big beats thread, any beats headphones related posts go here

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Zil2011

Hi guys - could anyone tell me where is the best place in Ireland to get Dr. Dre headphones for a 17 yr old? He is looking for the overhead type rather than the ones that just pop into your ears?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Zil2011 wrote: »
    Hi guys - could anyone tell me where is the best place in Ireland to get Dr. Dre headphones for a 17 yr old? He is looking for the overhead type rather than the ones that just pop into your ears?

HMV have them on special for €149. Best bet to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Zil2011

Thanks DubDJ!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi all,

I got my son a pair of Beats Solo HD's for Xmas but when he plugs them into his Android phone (a Sony Xperia Play R800i) an error pops up saying "Accessory not supported". I wouldn't be too bothered if it just referred to the remote/mic not being compatible with the phone but they don't even function as a regular pair of headphones i.e. no sound through them when plugged into the phone and music is playing.

BTW, i have checked the headphones and they work 100% including remote/mic in my own phone which is also an Android phone.

Any ideas how I can get these working with the Sony Xperia Play R800i???

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

for the record solo hd are 142.25 on powercity .. and because currys match the price and reduce it by a further 10% of the difference makes them around 139 there. http://www.powercity.ie/?par=30-20-7000609&pages=1&prod=7000609&brands=BEATS&image=

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Friend of mine informed me that he'd bought a set of beats for a great price,I asked him where he got them from and he said the official site.By the official site he meant this http://www.cheapbeatsireland.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Squaredude wrote: »
    Friend of mine informed me that he'd bought a set of beats for a great price,I asked him where he got them from and he said the official site.By the official site he meant this http://www.cheapbeatsireland.com/

Sure why not? Beats are only fashion accessories anyway, there's no point in paying the full whack for the official product if you can get your style fix for a fraction of the price. They'll probably be crap quality (even compared to Beats themselves:D) but the average Beats user won't hear any difference when they're listening to Nicki Minaj/One Direction/Lil' Wayne. All they'll hear is the sound of their own voice telling them how cool they are for having Beats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Custardpi wrote: »
    Sure why not? Beats are only fashion accessories anyway, there's no point in paying the full whack for the official product if you can get your style fix for a fraction of the price. They'll probably be crap quality (even compared to Beats themselves:D) but the average Beats user won't hear any difference when they're listening to Nicki Minaj/One Direction/Lil' Wayne. All they'll hear is the sound of their own voice telling them how cool they are for having Beats.
    This is the exact reason he bought them,because they're the cool thing to have.They actually look the part,but I think the sound seems slightly muffled.He thinks they're great/real because they're really loud.My €30 seinnheisers sound better in my opinion.His taste in music is awful though so I don't think the sound quality is going to bother him.

Hi all,

The Solo HD's come with a cable designed for iPhones which doesn't work with my son's android phone, a Sony Xperia Play R800i. Harvey Norman told me they used to sell replacement Android cables but don't have them any more and there are so many fake sites I don't trust any of them. I tried the official site but they don't have an accessories section. I'd appreciate it if someone would point me in the direction of a genuine replacement cable.

Cheers,

Ben

BenThere wrote: »
    Hi all,

The Solo HD's come with a cable designed for iPhones which doesn't work with my son's android phone, a Sony Xperia Play R800i. Harvey Norman told me they used to sell replacement Android cables but don't have them any more and there are so many fake sites I don't trust any of them. I tried the official site but they don't have an accessories section. I'd appreciate it if someone would point me in the direction of a genuine replacement cable.

Cheers,

Ben

The beats are actually made by Monster who mainly make cables. Maybe check the Monster website.

DubDJ wrote: »
    The beats are actually made by Monster who mainly make cables. Maybe check the Monster website.

Thanks DubDJ, tried that but no joy.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

I don't think Beats are compatible with android controls and I've never heard of an android specific cable. It's tough to make android compatible headset as there are so many various phones and roms it's hard for manufacturers to claim a product as android compatible. Meelec are the only brand that i know of that caters for android phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

I wonder why that is, I mean it's not as if Android users are some miniscule niche market, surely making headphones compatible with them would enable manufacturers to potentially sell to millions of non IOS-users. It'd hardly be impossible for people from the larger headphone companies to sit down with people from the main manufacturers (Samsung, etc) of Android devices, plus some experienced Android developers & agree on some best practices & standards going forward for at least a good chunk of the market so as to reduce the lack of compatibility with "Control-Talk" type headphones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

My beats work with a crappy alcatel phone

yimrsg wrote: »
    I don't think Beats are compatible with android controls and I've never heard of an android specific cable. It's tough to make android compatible headset as there are so many various phones and roms it's hard for manufacturers to claim a product as android compatible. Meelec are the only brand that i know of that caters for android phones.

I wouldn't of thought there was an issue with fragmentation when it comes to something like a headphone control cable. At the end of the day it has to do the usual play/pause volume up/down etc. Android is the underlying OS so it should be straight forward. I know Touchwiz and Sense might interfere a little but I'd say there wouldn't be a major problem. Monster could of made a cable compatible with the majority of the major manufacturers. Maybe get a different set of headphones with a removable cable that's compatible with your phone and use that with the beats.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

AFAIK the pinouts are the same but the signalling used with iOS devices is different.

*googles*

Yep, checkit http://lifehacker.com/5911435/modify-any-iphone-headset-remote-to-work-with-android-devices .

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭rory16

Does anyone know if replica Beats would be seized by customs if I buy them online?

Cheers,

Rory

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I've never heard of any knock offs being stopped by customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 NiallMc1983

Are these really worth the money?

Any good alternatives?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Terrible Headphones.

No that's being easy on them, Shockingly Terrible Headphones.

If you are the type of person to listen to Mp3's and like turning up bass till the knob doesn't turn anymore then you won't hear a difference.

If you like quality, well balanced, Red book quality music then steer will clear of these headphones.

Every time I see them in a shop on display I have to have a listen just to see if it's my imagination but every time I hear the same thing - exaggerated bass end with slight distortion and lack of clarity in the mids.
    Headphones that blow them out of the water and are the same price or less;

Focal Spirit One
    Sennheiser HD280's (Many other models from the range as Sennheiser are one of the best sounding and best priced headphones on the market)
    Grado SR80's
    Many.. Many others

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭joetoad

Is there any headphones out there specialized for hip hop? I tried the Sennheizers out in PC world but not as good as hip hop on the beats by dre headphones, although sennheizers sound better for normal rock/punk music. Theres feck all bass with them

I don't want to go down the beats route as there fairly fragile and want better quality headphones. The 50 cent earphones seem to be a better build but don't want to spend a fortune on headphones this time

Advertisement