Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The big Beats thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Different strokes for different folks my good man!

By all means discuss my post, counter it with your own points, with what you consider to be those different strokes, discussion is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Well there's a lot of hate for beats on this thread so I'm sure most people will support your view!

Quality of labour, cheap parts etc. doesn't bother me at all! I personally think the sound quality is top notch, and, again for my own personal taste, I think they are the best looking headphones on the market! So I got beats mainly for how they look, I'll freely admit that!

I understand you will say why pay so much for aesthetics rather than sound quality etc. But at the end of the day, what somebody spends their own money on is their own choice! I don't see much "hoodwinking" or "shameful lies", but once again, each to their own :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Well there's a lot of hate for beats on this thread so I'm sure most people will support your view!

Quality of labour, cheap parts etc. doesn't bother me at all! I personally think the sound quality is top notch, and, again for my own personal taste, I think they are the best looking headphones on the market! So I got beats mainly for how they look, I'll freely admit that!

I understand you will say why pay so much for aesthetics rather than sound quality etc. But at the end of the day, what somebody spends their own money on is their own choice! I don't see much "hoodwinking" or "shameful lies", but once again, each to their own :)

Why didn't you buy some similar looking headphones for a cheaper price then? Such as the Noontec Zoro. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Noontec-Zoro-Professional-Headphones-Black/dp/B0071JT70C

If you are unconcerned by poor construction and performance, paying a lot of money doesn't make sense, no matter how you try to rationalize it.

Brian wrote: »
    Why didn't you buy some similar looking headphones for a cheaper price then? Such as the Noontec Zoro. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Noontec-Zoro-Professional-Headphones-Black/dp/B0071JT70C

If you are unconcerned by poor construction and performance, paying a lot of money doesn't make sense, no matter how you try to rationalize it.

Not a fan of them dude, don't think they're as slick as the beats! Why does it bother you what other people spend their money on?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

There are a lot of idiotic posts on this thread, but support is irrelevant to the discussion of "quality" I think you'd have to agree.
    Quality of labour, cheap parts etc. doesn't bother me at all!

How can it not? you brought up "quality" in the first place
    I personally think the sound quality is top notch, and, again for my own personal taste, I think they are the best looking headphones on the market! So I got beats mainly for how they look, I'll freely admit that!

That's a whole different discussion, maybe we'll move onto that if we can finish the first one
    I understand you will say why pay so much for aesthetics rather than sound quality etc.

Would really rather you didn't make assumptions, your prejudgement is quite unfair, you're having a discussion with yourself and not with me.
    But at the end of the day, what somebody spends their own money on is their own choice! I don't see much "hoodwinking" or "shameful lies"

As mentioned, I don't care what people spend their own money on, but you are the one who decided to proclaim that the beats are "quality", you brought it up and I'm disagreeing with your assertion. It's not like I've randomly come in to this thread to berate someone for buying headphones when it was you who opened the floor to this "quality" discussion.

• Advertisement

There are a lot of idiotic posts on this thread, but support is irrelevant to the discussion of "quality" I think you'd have to agree.

How can it not? you brought up "quality" in the first place

That's a whole different discussion, maybe we'll move onto that if we can finish the first one

Would really rather you didn't make assumptions, your prejudgement is quite unfair, you're having a discussion with yourself and not with me.

As mentioned, I don't care what people spend their own money on, but you are the one who decided to proclaim that the beats are "quality", you brought it up and I'm disagreeing with your assertion. It's not like I've randomly come in to this thread to berate someone for buying headphones when it was you who opened the floor to this "quality" discussion.

Well I was only replying to a post saying how bad beats are, and when I say quality, I don't specifically mean the quality of manufacture or each part of the headphone etc. I just mean overall, I think they're class, as I said in my post, I'm talking mostly appearance here, not the quality of production!

Basically just didn't agree with you inferring that I am a "shameful liar".

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I like beats, I've most recently had a go of the new Studio ones, and the sound is pretty darn good. I wouldn't have many complaints about them except the cost over the toughness would worry me.

I personally have a set of the Monster Inspirations and I find them just a bit better soundwise than Beats, no over-reliance on bass, but enough there for a bit of womph. They are a snugger fit and feel way more solid than beats. The only drawback would be that they are heavier, but that doesnt really bother me.

when I say quality, I don't specifically mean the quality of manufacture or each part of the headphone etc. I just mean overall, I think they're class, as I said in my post, I'm talking mostly appearance here, not the quality of production!

So, if I'm reading this right, what you're saying is that beats are that subjective, intangible kind of quality, the kind of quality that anyone could say about anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

I'd love to know how many headphones (and what type) people have listened to when they talk up beats, having only heard a few types of headphones/earphones isn't exactly going to lend much weight to back up your opinion as you'll have nothing to compare it against. I thought that Skullcandy were good before I copped on and got some decent ones. It was only then that I realised how I'd been conned by marketing gimmicks which emphasise show instead of substance.

Has anyone on here or head-fi ever said that they sold their Ath m50/hd-25/etc after listening to beats/monster?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Denon D600, beats only better! I bought a set of these puppies. I think a lot of beats fan's don't really know anything else beforehand.
    We should thank Beats for making over-ears fashionable in public. I'm sure a lot of the beats club will also start spending their cash on better products eventually.

As a nice balanced alternative I'd suggest a set of Sennheisser momentums. Very nice product indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

We should thank Beats for making over-ears fashionable in public. I'm sure a lot of the beats club will also start spending their cash on better products eventually.

You think so?

Trends will move on and it'll be something else.

Vinyl and cassette nostalgia will die off and the same obsessives who were there before will remain.

I hope Sennheiser will do some hot pink HD800s though . . .

So, if I'm reading this right, what you're saying is that beats are that subjective, intangible kind of quality, the kind of quality that anyone could say about anything?

Spot on :) Now stop sprouting out of you about "shameful lies" etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Guys,

My son has a pair of Beats HD Solo's but the cord is knackered and he only gets sound into one of the ears.

Can someone recommend a replacement cord?

I'm thinking of purchasing these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ebest-3-5mm-Headphones-Monster-Studio/dp/B009JVNM1U/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1394568156&sr=1-1&keywords=headphone+cord or these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Replacement-Headphone-Monster-Dr-Dre-headphone/dp/B007P1CB9U/ref=pd_sim_ce_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=165BZRNP1N1E7C5S9GQD for him.

Thoughts?

Ben

BenThere wrote: »
    Guys,

My son has a pair of Beats HD Solo's but the cord is knackered and he only gets sound into one of the ears.

Can someone recommend a replacement cord?

I'm thinking of purchasing these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ebest-3-5mm-Headphones-Monster-Studio/dp/B009JVNM1U/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1394568156&sr=1-1&keywords=headphone+cord or these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Replacement-Headphone-Monster-Dr-Dre-headphone/dp/B007P1CB9U/ref=pd_sim_ce_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=165BZRNP1N1E7C5S9GQD for him.

Thoughts?

Ben

Any old 3.5mm to 3.5mm cord will do, the ones you've linked to fit the beats mould but you'll have to be a little more careful because cables designed for that beats look tend to take shortcuts in the build quality department.
    It's a really basic part, and if you weren't looking for that beats look I'd say any 3.5mm cable would do the job, so just make sure to check out any reviews before you buy.

Apple rumoured to be buying Beats for $3.2 billion! Happy enough for Dre!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Apple rumoured to be buying Beats for $3.2 billion! Happy enough for Dre!

Crazy deal. makes no sense from many perspectives. They're overpaying for the brand element alone, regardless of the product itself. Steve Jobs must be turning in his hand carved rare wood coffin.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

It's a smart move by Apple. Owning two of the current most sought after devices (iPhone & Headphones) will expand thier dominance.

Expect delux versions of thier music devices that include Beats heaphones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Apple in style over substance shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

As long as next gen iPods aren't laced with "Beats Audio" I won't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Apple in style over substance shocker.

This isn't actually strictly that true.

Whilst Apple products are ridiculously overpriced nobody can deny that they are in fact very good quality. Although you are paying way over the odds for the brand name you are also getting a top quality product in terms of durability and longevity. Not many other brands will actually match theirs without charging a relatively premium price. You won't find a product out-performing an Apple device for half the price, not a chance.

Beats, however, are indisputably poor all across the board, and that's putting it mildly. The build quality is average at best and feels cheap. The sound quality is appalling. You are quite simply just paying for the brand. The main difference is that, with a little research, you can actually beat these headphones on quality, durability, and every other thing that makes headphones worth buying for well under half the price. There are headphones for under €80 which would trump them in every regard.

The takeover isn't really the masterstroke everyone thinks it is IMO. I'm interested to see how it pans out but a lot of people will see Apple products being grouped with beats as a bad thing. They were selling Sennheiser Amperiors in the Apple store a few years ago, a proper quality headphone and the only problem there was that it was overpriced. I highly doubt beats will corner that market now, especially with the fact that they are overpriced rubbish being "on the rise" so to speak. The knowledge is definitely a lot more common that it was a year or two years ago, which would have been the prime time for a move like this.

• Advertisement

This isn't actually strictly that true.

Whilst Apple products are ridiculously overpriced nobody can deny that they are in fact very good quality. Although you are paying way over the odds for the brand name you are also getting a top quality product in terms of durability and longevity. Not many other brands will actually match theirs without charging a relatively premium price. You won't find a product out-performing an Apple device for half the price, not a chance.

Beats, however, are indisputably poor all across the board, and that's putting it mildly. The build quality is average at best and feels cheap. The sound quality is appalling. You are quite simply just paying for the brand. The main difference is that, with a little research, you can actually beat these headphones on quality, durability, and every other thing that makes headphones worth buying for well under half the price. There are headphones for under €80 which would trump them in every regard.

The takeover isn't really the masterstroke everyone thinks it is IMO. I'm interested to see how it pans out but a lot of people will see Apple products being grouped with beats as a bad thing. They were selling Sennheiser Amperiors in the Apple store a few years ago, a proper quality headphone and the only problem there was that it was overpriced. I highly doubt beats will corner that market now, especially with the fact that they are overpriced rubbish being "on the rise" so to speak. The knowledge is definitely a lot more common that it was a year or two years ago, which would have been the prime time for a move like this.

Not sure I'd agree that Sennhesier Amperiors are overpriced (if you shop around!), but in a head to head v beats there is no comparison on quality, sound, style IMO (but I realise this is quite subjective).

Just as an FYI, most things on the apple store can be bought online from other reputable sellers cheaper than on the apple site.

Not sure I'd agree that Sennhesier Amperiors are overpriced (if you shop around!), but in a head to head v beats there is no comparison on quality, sound, style IMO (but I realise this is quite subjective).

Just as an FYI, most things on the apple store can be bought online from other reputable sellers cheaper than on the apple site.

I agree with you, Amperiors are a bargain ATM in my view (got a pair myself for €150!) but back then they were being retailed at $349. People were finding it hard to justify a $100 dollar increase over the HD25's for what seemed to be aluminium cups and velour pads instead of leather.

I agree with you, Amperiors are a bargain ATM in my view (got a pair myself for €150!) but back then they were being retailed at $349. People were finding it hard to justify a $100 dollar increase over the HD25's for what seemed to be aluminium cups and velour pads instead of leather.

Hhave a couple of pairs of Sennheisers, my faves are the Amperiors, but I also have a pair of HD595s for at home listening which are equally fab but not as aesthetically pleasing shall we say. I bought the missus a pair of beats (only as she wanted them as "they look cool", there was no explaining quality etc) and they were just awful. She eventually saw the light and gave them away.

Also have a pair of the original superstar DJ headphone of choice, the SONY MDR V700. I'm fairly sure I paid north of £250 old punts for these back in 2001 - which was about 3 times the price of the next dearest headphones in Peats (remember them?) at the time. They're still in perfect nick though, despite tonnes of abuse.

That's a tidy collection you have there! My main headphones at the moment are the Amperiors (blue) because I can wear them to work and back. Also find them very slick looking and very stable on the head. Have a pair of ATH-M50's which did me well for ages up until I got the Amperiors, very fond of them when at home. I bought the ould lad a pair of DT-880's a year back as well but he rarely uses them so they're pretty much mine as well!

I've only ever listened to the V6 in the MDR series and it impressed me considering the price. Had a quick look at the V700's there and they look great considering they are over 13 years old...if ever there was value for money I think you got it if they're still functional!

As for the beats, I would never berate anyone publicly for buying them. If asked my opinion I'd be brutally honest but I can understand why some people want them. If you're ripping music off YouTube at 128kbps it really won't make a difference.

I've only ever listened to the V6 in the MDR series and it impressed me considering the price. Had a quick look at the V700's there and they look great considering they are over 13 years old...if ever there was value for money I think you got it if they're still functional!
    QUOTE]

Oh yeah, they're great and still look the biz (bit of a desiogn classic IMO), but that was serious wedge back then - not like today when €300+ headphones are commonplace. Way ahead of their time stylistically and aesthetically, but you paid the price for all of that! They also (relatively) weighed a tonne. The guy in Peats actually tried to talk me out of them at the time on weight alone.

A friend of mine picked up a pair in HMV Swords when it was closing for €50, reduced from €300 :eek: - now that's a bargain.

One big plus - you rarely if ever see anyone with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Can anyone recommend which to get between the beats solo and the beats studio. I am an audiophile & these are the best quality sound I have come across.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend which to get between the beats solo and the beats studio. I am an audiophile & these are the best quality sound I have come across.

The Solos for sure then, no point wasting more money if they're the best quality sound you've come across.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

PPC wrote: »
    The Solos for sure then, no point wasting more money if they're the best quality sound you've come across.

Thanks for the advice. Solos it is! I still can't understand how cheap they are for the best quality audio. What colour do you recommend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Is this a joke?

Advertisement