Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Applied - why do people do it?

• 09-10-2011 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

I'm curious at what group this is aimed at or why do people decide to do it when it limits them, what exacly is it or what exams do student's take at then end? Is it for the academically challenged?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭johnROSS

that's what its meant/designed for but theres always those who do it for the doss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

It's an alternative qualification to the Leaving Cert that is more suitable for certain career paths. Life isn't always about university and those wishing to do apprenticeships etc. generally find that the LCA course will better suit their needs than the normal LC pathway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

People learn in different ways. Some work well on short term focussed tasks, some are more long term. Some can keep up a steady rate of work over two full years, some can cram it all in a month before the exams.

They are two entirely different methods of assessment, the fact that some people make themselves feel better by making comments like the first response you got above is no reflection on what the LCA is about.

The LCA students have exams half way through st the end of 5th year and then again at the end of 6th year but most of their assessment is from tasks, task interviews and assignments through the two years. It is much more like college than the standard LC which is becoming more and more a memory exercise.

How exactly do you think doing the LCA limits someone? Do you think they cannot go to university? There are many ways of doing that too, some of which involve no Leaving Cert. at all, of any type.

I'm replying in the event that you are not trolling, but if you are, I hope you had a good laugh and feel better now about everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I'm gonna assume the OP is simply misguided and not trolling. Obviously this thread is a bit of a troll's paradise, so posters, please keep your cool and report trollish posts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

EDIT: what he said! ^^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bigben121

spurious wrote: »
    People learn in different ways. Some work well on short term focussed tasks, some are more long term. Some can keep up a steady rate of work over two full years, some can cram it all in a month before the exams.

They are two entirely different methods of assessment, the fact that some people make themselves feel better by making comments like the first response you got above is no reflection on what the LCA is about.

The LCA students have exams half way through st the end of 5th year and then again at the end of 6th year but most of their assessment is from tasks, task interviews and assignments through the two years. It is much more like college than the standard LC which is becoming more and more a memory exercise.

How exactly do you think doing the LCA limits someone? Do you think they cannot go to university? There are many ways of doing that too, some of which involve no Leaving Cert. at all, of any type.

I'm replying in the event that you are not trolling, but if you are, I hope you had a good laugh and feel better now about everything.

while that is true , there are people who do because they are lazy pieces of sh*t, i am not saying that it is the majority of people though.

Yellow card.

Strange, I would have thought there were enough hints on this thread to encourage people to watch what they say and how they say it ... apparently not.

Let this stand as another (and the final) hint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

Lol you mods are pathetically sickening, the man has asked a genuine question and there have been some genuine answers yet you guys have decided to make this topic super sensitive. I get the impression that you feel powerful with your positions? You guys are like dictators, just goes to show how people abuse their power. Cop on, and yes I imagine my response will be deleted. :mad:

Spurious you can't get into Collage with the LCA.... not for the highly demanded courses anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭selfobsessed

Why did that reply from yer man get all them thank's when its partly garbage.

All the people I know who done LCA in my school were eirther slow learners or wasters or just downright dumb. So OP there is the correct answer for ya, hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

There should really be a facepalm emoticon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

Why did that reply from yer man get all them thank's when its partly garbage.

All the people I know who done LCA in my school were eirtherslow learners orwasters or just downright dumb. So OP there is the correct answer for ya, hope it helps.

Did you do it so? You don't seem to have a great command of the English language.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Spurious you can't get into Collage with the LCA.... not for the highly demanded courses anyway

Yes you can get into college with the LCA, you can get into college without a Leaving Cert. at all.

Funnily enough it does not surprise me that the OP, Stalin and rugby and selfobsessed would all turn up in the same thread and all agreeing with one another.

Selfobsessed, Stalin and rugby, you chose to ignore the warnings given; on your own head(s) be it!

I somehow doubt that your contribution to this forum will be missed.

This thread is a honeypot for trolls, and imho was started for that purpose and only for that purpose.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement