Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The word ' losing '

Options
  • 09-10-2011 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭

as in, losing my mind. Why do so many people here insist on spelling it ' loosing '. GET IT RIGHT, PEOPLE.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭RichT

Calm down....... or you will loose it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

How appropriate that this Thread was directly under yours when I checked for new posts :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056414454

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

You're one to talk about people's spelling mistakes in your thread chock a block with punctuation errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I'd say it's because the "o" in "lose" is a broad sound, which could make people think it's a double "o".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

I'd say it's because the "o" in "lose" is a broad sound, which could make people think it's a double "o".

I wonder how many "o"s they think "loose" has so! I have noticed people making this mistake a lot recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I don't think there'd be any extra mistakenly added to "loose" :) "lose" is more of an "oo" sound, whereas "loose" has the emphasis on the s/c sound. Perhaps someone spelling it "looce", but I don't think I've ever noticed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

mattser wrote: »
    as in, losing my mind. Why do so many people here insist on spelling it ' loosing '. GET IT RIGHT, PEOPLE.
    I'd advise you not to visit the Nutrition/Fitness forums then. The amount of people trying to "loose" weight might just blow your mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

I'm going to admit I have used those words wrong before! Thankfully there's is endless amounts of threads on here to correct me :)

I think this thread has been done over in AH over the past few days and there's definitely one in R&R at the minute :)

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Is this problem particular to this forum OP? I hadn't really noticed that it was such a huge problem here on the Literature forum.

Oh, I just noticed, the OP has only made one post on this thread. Do I detect a whiff of "Trolling"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

Is this problem particular to this forum OP? I hadn't really noticed that it was such a huge problem here on the Literature forum.

Oh, I just noticed, the OP has only made one post on this thread. Do I detect a whiff of "Trolling"?

I just chose literature as the post refers to spelling. Maybe there's a more suitable forum. If so, let me know. The problem is right across the site. No trolling here.

• Advertisement

There's an English language forum. And Ranting & Raving. They'd suit your post :D

mattser wrote: »
    I just chose literature as the post refers to spelling. Maybe there's a more suitable forum. If so, let me know. The problem is right across the site. No trolling here.
    Ok, but I'm just curious to know why exactly you chose to post your message here. This is the Literature forum, where we discuss books, poetry and other literary issues. To me, spelling and grammar is a different subject altogether.

My point is, that if you had read through this forum, you would have realised that this is not the correct place to post messages about spelling.

Away with you now to the AH forum, I think that's where this post belongs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

I think this thread would be much better suited to the Language forum, but is it really such a big deal? After all, literature is all about language. This forum doesn't even have a charter; it's hardly so busy that we can't accommodate a few tangential topics. They distract from all the tumbleweeds!

True!

OK, I'll chill out!

Maybe I just didn't like the inference that we can't spell here.

Rant over for today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭daithiocondun

THIS IS NOT AN APPROPRIATE TOPIC FOR THE LITERATURE FORUM.... SPELLING AND GRAMMAR ARE NOT PART OF THE LITERATURE FORUM CONCERNS.... I THINK!

Chill out, dude.

Advertisement