Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prehistoric children went to "cave art school"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Cute :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I saw something on the tv last week. Apparently the mayor of a town in Southern France got the local children to clean off the graffiti that was blighting the town some years back. They did a wonderful job, including the removal of some 250,000 year old cave paintings.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

Rubecula wrote: »
    I saw something on the tv last week. Apparently the mayor of a town in Southern France got the local children to clean off the graffiti that was blighting the town some years back. They did a wonderful job, including the removal of some 250,000 year old cave paintings.:eek:

Nooooooooooo!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

In southern France, northern Spain the sheer quantity of prehistoric stuff just laying around is quite impressive. Go hiking in the hills and you see lots of flints just sitting on the ground, mostly fragments, mostly modern human, but it's all over the place. Years ago I met an old guy while fishing in France and we got to chatting and he had a huge collection of pre sapiens stone tools. Stuff he'd just picked up while walking to various rivers(horribly illegal to do now of course). You really begin to see the antiquity of human habitation going back nigh on 800,000 years in the place. You can see why too. Even today that neck of the woods is stuffed with wildlife and plants to eat and caves and other shelters.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rubecula wrote: »
    They did a wonderful job, including the removal of some 250,000 year old cave paintings.:eek:
    If they were 250,000 years old I'd be on a widespread child punishment mission and the mayor in question would be pushing up daisies :D maybe the report added a zero as 25,000 is way more likely. I think the oldest cave paintings are around 50,000 in Africa. In Europe the oldest are more like 40,000

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Collecting fossils - illegal
    Destroying prehistoric artwork - approved

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

I've thought a lot about painting fake prehistoric art in caves near my town and wait for someone to make a big fuss about it... would be so much fun! :D

Advertisement