Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BSOD (sort of) while playing bf3

Options
  • 09-10-2011 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Posting it here has its most likely hardware/driver related.

While playing bf3 beta, possibly only since casiban map has been added, at random intervals my computer will sieze up. The sound it makes is not unlike the noise a computer would make if it BSOD'd, but it doesnt go to the BSOD, it stays ona frozen image in bf. It happens at least once an hour, often more.

One of the times it told me windows had recovered from an error and gave me a mini dump like you would get on a BSOD.

The error is: 0x00000124

According to bluescreenview the crash was caused by:
    ntoskrnl.exe at address ntoskrnl.exe+4b2aec.

After a bit of searching online other people were getting simliar dumps but somehow other people were able to pinpoint the driver causing the problem, but i have no idea how.

Attached is the mini dump file (rename to .dmp)

Specs of the machine:

Fresh w7 install (x64)
    Q9550
    Asus P5k-E
    GTX-460 - running latest beta drivers (only two weeks old, but i have played other games including bf3 metro for much longer than im able to play casiban on it with no issue)
    4gb of DDR2-800 OCX
    New Samsung TB HDD (bought 6 months ago, only installed two weeks ago.)

Things i have tried:

CPU had a relatively modest OC running at 3.4, survived intel burn tests and temps were fine, never above 60c - I have since removed this, has not helped.

Ran memtest86 for 3 loops on the ram, 0 errors found.

I was using default drivers for my onboard sound from the w7 install - I installed the one listed for it on asus' site, didnt help. Have since reverted back has recmoned ones had a terrible UI!

Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? My seemingly only way of reproducing the problem, playing Bf3 beta is about to be closed too as the beta is coming to an end. It would be an awful pity to have no way of fixing this until i recieve my actual copy of bf3 :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

Guess its not happening while playing any other games?
    Nothing wrong with your rig, I`d say bf3 still needs to be optimalized...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

GPU temps while this is happening?

(Afterburner is good for this; gives plenty of stats. and monitoring info)

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

Had the same issue in BF3 and Red Orchestra after putting my PC into a new case and doing a fresh Win7 install.
    Was getting the same problem with ntoskrnl.exe in my dump.
    Also was using an ASUS board and onboard sound with Win7 64bit.
    Tried everything from memtest to many different drivers.
    Narrowed it down to a handful of possible causes.
    One of these steps fixed it for me:

Uninstall graphics card & audio drivers.

Reseat graphics card (I BELIEVE THIS WAS THE MAIN PROBLEM CAUSE).

I had realtek onboard HD audio and switched to AC'97 audio in BIOS (and swapped front panel connector for my case to AC'97).

Making sure both the graphics card drivers and Audio drivers were completely wiped using driver sweeper in Windows safe mode and reinstalling them when back to normal windows.

Now using SoundMAX integrated Digital HD Audio version 6.10.2.6585
    which I assume your board could use too.

Has been working perfectly for over a week now, down from a crash ingame every 30mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

just to rule out random hardware crashes from overheating etc, run furmark at torture settings (not the default benchmark) at Max settings and run 'small ffts' in prime95 at the same time.
    monitor all the temps in HW monitor or similar and see if something turns up. keep them going for a good while.

it is a beta though and DICE did say it was not optimized at all. take the problem with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

BSOD (Battlefield Sort Of Dies) ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Just a heads up, this problem still remained with the full version.

Shy Dave was on the right track anyways, its my sound card. This problem seems to be commonly called the sound freeze and has been around since BF: BC2

Disabled sound card in the bios and got a loan of a mates creative USB headphones and i was able to play for 1.5 hours without the problem

I have also figured on my travels that is wasnt the introduction of casabian that started the problem, it was the intro of punk buster

Im going to do some of the steps dave suggested (i think the changing to AC97 is the important one) and hopefully i wont need any extra hardware!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

must be a huge problem...over 19000 hits on youtube..
    Must be a head wrecker...glad it never happened to me...

Advertisement