Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wed 26th October - Stephens Green - Central Bank

• 09-10-2011 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

I am thinking of:
    Time: 7pm
    Date: Wednesday 26th October
    Start: Grafton St. Entrance of St. Stephens Green.
    Direction: Down Grafton Street, on to Suffolk Street, Andrew St, Trinity Street and across to Central Bank.

Who is welcome?
    Everybody!
    Even if you have a Point & Shoot or a film camera, are an amateur or Pro. Everybody is welcome.
    You will need a tripod, if you don't have one then say so here and someone may have a spare for you.

Register your interest here and I will DM you my mobile num nearer the date.
    Mention what camera you have and somebody might bring a spare lens for you to try.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

....whats happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

Photowalk, I assume? Would love to join in, unless something comes up at the last moment (which it always seems to do :-( )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Count me in for this photowalk. Nikon D700

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

love to go. Canon 60D

...and Foggy Dew to finish up

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭aidan18

count me in NikonD5100

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

guys, would you need a full height Tri-Pod or would a small/mini tri pod be sufficient?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭nowayout1

bring one that you feel comfortable with not one were your bending over all the time to get a shot out

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭nowayout1

i think i should put myself down ha, canon 500d should be a fun one @leche solara foggy dew should be the watering hole after.

nowayout1 wrote: »
    bring one that you feel comfortable with not one were your bending over all the time to get a shot out

to be honest, only bought a cheap mini tripod today to mess about and get used to using a trpod as such. still trying to work out what settings to use for night shots also......slowly...:D

i understand that i will be restricted with regard to ****s, but im sure i can use a rubish bin or a wall somewhere :D

Kceire, go outside in the semi dark, set your camera to aperture priority, set the aperture to F16, the shutter speed will be automatically set by the camera. Put your camera on a steady surface aiming it at a point of interest , set the timer on at 2 seconds delay, then press the shutter, Hopefully you will get a nice night exposure. Then look up manual settings and use the light meter on the camera to set your aperture and shutter speed.
    Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

I'll try get along to this. I missed the last one. Kceire ya have to come :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 whitehead

would like to attend nikon d50

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

So there I was, eventually getting my ass in gear, about to set up a photowalk - came in here to grab the text off my old threads, only to see that somebody has done both (The Photowalk.... and that looks like my text too. Feb Photowalk? :p )

Anyway I'm in!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 maxie

Hi All,

I hope to have my new camera within the next week so I'd love to go on this walkabout.

I'll be ordering the Nikon D5100 AF-S 18-55mm VR lens.

I wont have a clue so hopefully I might learn something and get some nice shots.

Hopefully I'll get my Flicr page of to a good start :-)

Cheers.

Just a reminder to all coming on the photowalk, a tripod is essential because all or most of your shots will be long exposure so a steady camera is a must.
    If you don't have a tripod say so and a loan of one can be arranged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Phil Taz

Yay permission slip is signed, ill be there :D:D (Sony a200)

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭okmqaz42

wonderful idea, i'm in. nikon d90 and f100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Totally in for this one. It's been too long since I was on a photowalk

I'd be quite interested in doing this. Would anyone else happen to heading from Drogheda?

What time do you reckon it'd be over at though (I'd be following a bus timetable) and I'm not that familiar with Dublin; what places would we be likely to pass? (I see plenty of dublin shots on here, and some of them look great. Certain bridges and buildings look really well, but I've no idea where they are, or what we'd be shooting on this walk, so..?).

I shoot Canon and could bring a few lenses if anyone wanted to try them out (depending on the size of the group, though. If it were a massive group I'd be a bit wary of someone getting a loan of a lens to try it out, only to disappear shortly afterward... has that ever happened? Or am I being too pessimistic?).

:)

What time do you reckon it'd be over at though (I'd be following a bus timetable)
    10pm is the latest - unless you go to the pub afterwards!
    what places would we be likely to pass? (I see plenty of dublin shots on here, and some of them look great. Certain bridges and buildings look really well, but I've no idea where they are, or what we'd be shooting on this walk, so..?).
    No bridges as we are not going near the Liffey. This is Grafton Street and the back-ish streets in Dublin 2. The tourism office is a nice old style building. Central Bank - the protesters might still be there.
    I shoot Canon and could bring a few lenses if anyone wanted to try them out (depending on the size of the group, though. If it were a massive group I'd be a bit wary of someone getting a loan of a lens to try it out, only to disappear shortly afterward... has that ever happened? Or am I being too pessimistic?).
    I've never heard of a lens being stolen. You lend to someone you know or feel safe giving a lens too (then stalk them all night). I don't mean to be unfair to other people but I would only give a lens to people I know and I know quite a few of the people on this walk. I'm not going to name and shame.
    In reality you come to this walk with what you think YOU will use and get to know people, then on the next walk you might bring a lens for someone you met and know from this one.
    On the other hand - Do you have a Wide-angle or Fisheye? I wouldn't mind trying them out.... and I am trustable! Ask them ^

• Advertisement

10pm is the latest - unless you go to the pub afterwards!

Ah, I'll most likely stick to a bus timetable and leave when it ends. Plus I don't drink, so... :p

No bridges as we are not going near the Liffey. This is Grafton Street and the back-ish streets in Dublin 2. The tourism office is a nice old style building. Central Bank - the protesters might still be there.

Ah should be interesting all the same. I'm not sure what is what in Dublin really, so anything is better than wandering around Drogheda aimlessly, photographing the same building and bridge over and over and over and over and over...

I've never heard of a lens being stolen. You lend to someone you know or feel safe giving a lens too (then stalk them all night). I don't mean to be unfair to other people but I would only give a lens to people I know and I know quite a few of the people on this walk. I'm not going to name and shame.
    In reality you come to this walk with what you think YOU will use and get to know people, then on the next walk you might bring a lens for someone you met and know from this one.
    On the other hand - Do you have a Wide-angle or Fisheye? I wouldn't mind trying them out.... and I am trustable! Ask them ^

I have a Sigma 10-20 that I like and is pretty wide. Not the widest of wide-angle lenses but still pretty wide. I'd be happy to let people use it, but first i'd need a €100 deposit, your passport, active Garda presence within the group and you must remove your shoes to make it more difficult for you to run away with it.

How many people do these walks usually pull in? (I know a lot of people will be saying "yeah, I'm going" and won't show up, such is life, so what do you reckon the actual figure would be in reality?

Kinda looking forward to this now.

Numbers: This can range from 10 - 46 (46 is my record!!! Though I have seen bigger!)

Is 10 much different to 17? Would be interesting to find out.

Well if I'm heading up it probably will be with another person or two to have some company on the trip up and back. Should be a good laugh, anyway.

Although it doesn't sound like much, 10mm and 17mm are worlds apart. When I bought it I thought it'd be a nice novelty lens to have, for interiors or such, but it's on my camera quite a lot. I particularly like the distortion it causes with stretching things, but that's just me.

What 17mm lens do you use, out of curiousity? 17-85? 17-40L? (or perhaps a Nikon-based lens?)

you forgot the other kit lens 17-55 (I got the better kit lens 17-85) Other than that I have a Sigma 70?-200.

Canon 60D here btw!

17-55? That's not a kit lens is it? Is that not pretty much an L lens that they forgot to put an L on?

60D is a pretty cool camera. I know a guy with a 550D (I use a 7D myself). I think those three cameras are practically one and the same, bar a few minor differences? I think the 60D is supposed to be the best one for video-related work (that's the one with the tilt-swivel sreen, yeah?).

I have the 70-200 aswell. Fantastic lens, but don't think I'll bring it along with me. Would a telephoto have much use on this walk, do you think?

70-200 - no it would not (too much) but it is in my bag so I will bring it.

I think I had the choice of 17-55 or 17-85 (when checking the prices online)

Can I ask you, would a flashgun be any use on this walk? I'd guess not, but would I be better to carry one anyway? Just incase?!

I'd imagine most of the places will just be landscape shots, but not familiar with the place so unsure if a flash'd help out.

And maybe I'm mixing lenses up. I know 18-55 is a kit lens?! I think 17-55 is the €700-€800 one? I used the 17-85 for a good few months and found it an excellent lens. Image quality from it is fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

I'll be along canon 1000d :)

Don't worry, I'm most likely the confused one.

Flash: No..... unless someone can tell when they used one on a photowalk! (I don't like flash myself)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Graham Walsh

Count me in ! Canon 7d & 40d

I know the weather is obviously going to be a deterrent now, but just to clarify (as I've never attended a walk organised on here before) is this still going ahead? Or does bad weather cause issues? (Google is predicting decent weather tomorrow, though, if that means anything).

and are you going to DM us your number. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 maxie

maxie wrote: »
    Hi All,

I hope to have my new camera within the next week so I'd love to go on this walkabout.

I'll be ordering the Nikon D5100 AF-S 18-55mm VR lens.

I wont have a clue so hopefully I might learn something and get some nice shots.

Hopefully I'll get my Flicr page of to a good start :-)

Cheers.

Still waiting on the delivery of my Nikon D5100. I'm hoping to have it today. If I get it before the walk I will attend if its still going ahead.

If I get it I will let you know as I will need to borrow a tripod from someone if thats ok :-)

Hope it comes today so I can get use to menu interface for tomorrow.

Hurry up simply electronics....

Still want to attend this too.

But as above, will it be weather depending?
    ie. when will we know if its on or off?

I will hopefully be there with Maxie above bit i dont think his camera will arrive beforn then im afraid :( I told him to bring a point and shoot, if even just to compare photos later on?

Also i wont have a tri-pod either, have a Manfrotto in here in work but the screw heads are way to fat to fit the camera, is there some connection missing?

but i do have a mini tri-pod that i picked up in the €2 shop :D

t_16147_01.jpg

The dinky little tri-pod will be good for their Point & Shoot camera..... anything else will fall over (YES, it WILL).

What will stop ye going on the photowalk? This is aimed at those asking is it going ahead. I will be there anyway, so it will start.... how soon it ends will depend on the weather.

• Advertisement

I am still on for the photowalk weather permitting. I can bring 2 spare cheap and cheerful tripods.

The dinky little tri-pod will be good for their Point & Shoot camera..... anything else will fall over (YES, it WILL).

What will stop ye going on the photowalk? This is aimed at those asking is it going ahead. I will be there anyway, so it will start.... how soon it ends will depend on the weather.

OK, looks like i will be resting my camera on a wheely bin then :D
    so wheres the meeting point?
    7pm yeah

Canon 550D
    18-55 Kit Lens.

7pm.

The entrance to St. Stephen's Green (park) at the top of Grafton Street!

kceire wrote: »
    OK, looks like i will be resting my camera on a wheely bin then

You can borrow 1 of my spares as long as you bring it back to my car in the college of surgeons car park after the walk.
    Check your Manfrotto, sometimes there is a spring loaded mounting screw to allow either of 2 screw sizes.

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    You can borrow 1 of my spares as long as you bring it back to my car in the college of surgeons car park after the walk.
    Check your Manfrotto, sometimes there is a spring loaded mounting screw to allow either of 2 screw sizes.

Cheers John, heres a pick of the head of the tri-pod in work :

• Advertisement

kceire,
    That looks a very heavy duty tripod head. Probably for a professional Video/Cine camera.

kceire,
    That looks a very heavy duty tripod head. Probably for a professional Video/Cine camera.

Very possible John. I found it in our office recently. It's an A055 model one. Think I may be better of picking one up in town. Seen ones in camera exchange for €20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

The original poster has gone very quiet on this and we still haven't been DM'd the number yet. Some people may be going to this straight from work and may not have access to boards in work, so if we are to get the number we should get it tonight latest. Anyway its not vital; we turn up at the gate of the Green @ 7, and we'll immediately recognise the folks carrying tripods. Will (Sinister Dexter) has already run this very walk last February, and the route isn't very long or complicated. The most complicated part is making sure we all know what pub we're going to afterwards. There was some confusion after the last one, but I think the Foggy Dew is the chosen watering hole this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Phil Taz

Is this still a goahead? :D

5435025638_032fc7c15e_z.jpg
    20110210-DSC_2966 by pixbyjohn, on Flickr
    Some of us ended up in The Mercantile last February after the walk.
    Weather permitting this walk will go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭okmqaz42

Hope to see you all later, looks like a nice evening out there.

I will be there, leaving Greystones in 10 minutes. Have 2 spare tripods in the boot.

I will be there, leaving Greystones in 10 minutes. Have 2 spare tripods in the boot.

i should be there too. I'll be parking around the green so i assume i'll just lookout for people carrying cameras :D

Well, im probably the first to reply on thread as i didnt go to the pub, but a combination of my 6 month old getting his first tooth yesterday and his needles today meant i had to be home to help out :D

First off, i must say a bug thanks to John for his tri-pod, i realised that it cant be done without one, and also a big thanks to the lads who spent time explaining things to me and gave me tons of pointers and advice etc, much appreciated :D

I got some pics, they are by no means good photographs, but i came away from tonight knowing alot more than when i started. Also got a shot of a lovely 50mm F1.4 lens.

Anyway, im already looking forward to the next one, and hopefully can hang around for a pint or two :D

Ohh yeah, heres a few of my pictures, simply cropped to removed street clutter and that, and the black/white levels adjusted in Photoshop.

As always, advice on where the shot went wrong welcome.
    And one last thing, nice to meet everybody too ;)

Our Starting Point :

6284109591_455c738510_z.jpg

6284630770_4a0e4c7ae1_z.jpg

6284633060_3fbe5b8fd9_z.jpg

6284634264_84edb0163c_z.jpg

6284635758_1d601f933d_z.jpg

6287164936_e43a04f7e1_z.jpg

And where some of the lads ended up, and probably still in there now :D

6284118675_2c7de2ae9c_z.jpg

Nice pix KC, great to meet you and all the lads and Denise.
    Lovely night for a walk. Really enjoyed it thanks to all.
    6284678056_04ffb62a50_z.jpg
    Dublin Photowalk 27-10-2011 by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

• Advertisement
Advertisement