Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

autocad 2006

Options
  • 09-10-2011 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

I am looking for some tips on how to set up the screen properly to start drawing, When i type in the XandY axis the curser ends up the page. The page doesnt seem to be set up right. This is my first encounter with CAD . I want to start the drawing 30mm in from the bottom corner, any help please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

What are you drawing?

Do you really need to draw to co-ordinates? Often it's easier to just draw the first line, circle etc and then draw everything else relative to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

mail wrote: »
    I am looking for some tips on how to set up the screen properly to start drawing, When i type in the XandY axis the curser ends up the page. The page doesnt seem to be set up right. This is my first encounter with CAD . I want to start the drawing 30mm in from the bottom corner, any help please.

Do you know that in AutoCAD you do the drawing in "model space" and the printing in "paper space", look at the bottom of the drawing and you'll see MODEL, LAYOUT1 etc

Draw your drawing in model space using what ever unit you want, typically using 0,0 as your lower left point. You may also want to set the LIMITS to whatever extent your drawing will be, for example if you where drawing monitor elevation in mm, you might set your limits to 500, 400, a house plan, 15000,10000. Also look at the snap and grid settings

For printing, if it must be 30mm from the edge draw a RECT 420x297 (A3) in a layout tab (paperspace) and offset it 30mm, then draw a viewport using that inner rect as a guide. Print settings should be 1:1, your view port scale can be whatever you want, lock it once its set to avoid changing the scale with the mouse wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

I'd start in the drawing by typing in 'limits' and making sure they're turned OFF - it leaves you 'unlimited' space for drawing in :D and means you've one less thing to worry about.

It's also far easier to draw in model space and print in paper space as KAGY has said above. Learn how to use this now and it will save you loads of time later on, as it will let you print to different scales on the same sheet without having to mess around with your model.

Advertisement