Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Way of Taxi...Whats the catch???

Options
  • 09-10-2011 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

Just seen this on DoneDeal and got me thinking..

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/businessopportunities/2557083

I was thinking if you had the PSV license it might be worth trying it for a few weeks to see if you could make money.Very little output and you can leave it back if things are quiet.

What do you think guys?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭yutta

I wouldn't advise it from a physical and mental health perspective. Very stressful. You'd be lucky to come in with €100 gross at the end of a shift. The only way to make money taxi driving is to be on the social welfare at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Biggest catch would be your insurance, are you prepared to transfer your NCB (note I said NCB, NOT your insurance cover) from your private car to a taxi, that's the only way you'd get the insurance for 30-40 per week, your only other option is to go to one of the big renters who has a "fleet" policy in which case you could be looking at 60-70 per week for insurance.
    there's no such thing as a free lunch;)

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Biggest catch would be your insurance, are you prepared to transfer your NCB (note I said NCB, NOT your insurance cover) from your private car to a taxi, that's the only way you'd get the insurance for 30-40 per week, your only other option is to go to one of the big renters who has a "fleet" policy in which case you could be looking at 60-70 per week for insurance.
    there's no such thing as a free lunch;)
    ah never thought of it that way.Im working full time at the moment but couldn't help the mind wonder when I seen it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭yutta

I used to drive a taxi. Back in 2006/2007 when you could make €1000 a week easily. I feel sorry for the guys with massive car loans on the ranks. They'd be better off on the dole.

I got refused standard car insurance (Quinn Direct I think) earlier this year because I used to be a taxi driver!

thats why I thought this would be a good idea,very little money upfront and easy exit out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Mate did this last xmas, while he was on the dole of course, (nice one not)
    Anyway he did the unsociable hours Thurs Fri sats going out at 8pm working through till 6 the next morning. He was making a nice Dole top up. Hungry B!""**X Rented the plate and car as a package

ronan45 wrote: »
    Mate did this last xmas, while he was on the dole of course, (nice one not)
    Anyway he did the unsociable hours Thurs Fri sats going out at 8pm working through till 6 the next morning. He was making a nice Dole top up. Hungry B!""**X Rented the plate and car as a package

I can imagine he done unsociable hours.The extra money must have been great.As they say nothing worth having comes easy.

Id like to hear from someone who might know how much a taximan takes in an average weekend,not in Dublin city,in Ireland's smaller cities.

IMO to many taxi's in the city.

Advertisement