Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green algae attacking my tank-Help

Options
  • 09-10-2011 8:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Our tank has begun to get attacked by green algae.

The water temp is a constant 29 degrees C,the PH level is 6.6,as its controlled by a digital CO2 injection system.We use mains water and use tap safe treatment all the time when do 15% tank refills.
    We never had any problems before,up until now.

We recently did a water test for the likes of PH level,nitrites,and nitrates and potassium and all tests came up fine and clear.

Im stumped and so too is my girlfriend,as to whats causing it??:confused:

This green algea has only come on bad in the last few weeks.

Any ideas what it is and how to combat it??

Its covering the bottom of the tank and now the bog oak and plants,and its not nice to look at now.:(

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

What are your nitrates at, and how long do you leave the lights on in the tank?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Silverfish wrote: »
    What are your nitrates at, and how long do you leave the lights on in the tank?

The lights are on for 10 hours a day (11am til 9pm)

The CO2 kit is on for that amount of time too,but its on automatic mode,so its kicks in and out when it deems applicable.Its been like that since day 1,and never a problem before,in the 9 months we hve had the tank set up and running.

I will check with her,what the nitrite/nitrate levels were,as I cannot remember,but she said that all the tests worked out fine.

She also took a water sample to a fish shop and tehy did a test too,and all seemed fine.

Im stumped by this horrible green slimey algae.:(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Try and reduce the lighting to 6 hrs a day or less.

High nitrates generally lead to algae, you'd want to be keeping the nitrates below 10 - 15ppm if possible.

A few mossballs will help, also maybe Seachem purigen or Nitrazorb or whatever will reduce nitrates and basically starve and reduce the algae.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭joe90

It looks like Cyanobacteria to me,I had it about 2 weeks ago.Its not really a Algea its a type of bacteria.

There are some good tips on youtube and the net on how to get rid of it.

In the end I use the hydrogen peroxide method and it cleared it up.

check the net and search Cyanobacteria.

Hope this helps.

Thanks folks. Some sound advice there.

• Advertisement

joe90 wrote: »
    It looks like Cyanobacteria to me,I had it about 2 weeks ago.Its not really a Algea its a type of bacteria.

There are some good tips on youtube and the net on how to get rid of it.

In the end I use the hydrogen peroxide method and it cleared it up.

check the net and search Cyanobacteria.

Hope this helps.

I scrubbed away some of it off the glass with the magnetic tank cleaning block.

Its like a blob or jelly like substance allright.Its horrible,thats for sure.:(

Advertisement