If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE digital

Options
  • 09-10-2011 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

Would you know if my 52" LCD 52PFL5604H/12 can recieve digital signals? Do I need a seperate Soarview box to watch RTE digital??

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

Record breaking response!

Ok, next question... how can I do it? I cant find it in any menus? It would be great to tune in the channels without buying a box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Nicola on behalf of Ash:

Hey Alan,

You need to have an antenna of some sort first. Be it rabbit ears or a roof antenna. Then you connect said antenna to your TV.

1 When watching TV, press ( Home).
    » The home menu appears.
    2 Press the Navigation buttons to select
    [Setup].
    » The [Setup] menu appears.
    3 Press the Navigation buttons to select
    [Installation] > [Channel installation] >
    [Antenna or Cable DVB] > [Antenna] or
    [Cable].
    • Select [Antenna] to access DVBT
    (Digital Video Broadcasting-
    Terrestrial) channels. (THIS IS THE ONE WE USE HERE)
    4 Press OK to confirm your choice.
    5 Press BACK to exit.
    » The TV switches to the selected
    network.

Now we need to tune these channels in so we:

Your TV searches and stores all available
    digital and analogue TV channels as well as all
    available digital radio channels.
    1 In the [Channel installation] menu, (TO GET HERE HIT HOME AND GO TO SETUP THEN INSTALLATION)
    press the Navigation buttons to select
    [Automatic installation].
    2 Press OK.
    » A message appears prompting you to
    start channel installation.
    [Start].
    4 Press OK.
    » The channel update screen appears,
    with [Re-install channels] selected.

You should be sorted now dude! :D

Lemme know if you need any more info.

Thanks a mil, Nicola.

Cant get it or I am an moron (the latter being more probable).

You need to have an antenna of some sort first. Be it rabbit ears or a roof antenna. - I have a roof antenna but I thought I could pick up the new digital Irish channels with the receiver in the tv without using an antenna?

[Installation] > [Channel installation] >
    [Antenna or Cable DVB] > [Antenna] or
    [Cable].
    - I dont have these options? I have [automatic installation][channel update message][digital reception test][analogue manual installation]??

I went through the second (re-install) part of your instructions with limited success. It just re-installed my analogue channels and about 18 digital channels, mostly radio and one RTE News one.

Maybe its not possible but I thought I could pick up the Saorview channels just with the tv but the more I read their website I fear this is not the case?? Am I barking up the wrong tree?!

"RTÉ established a receiver (set-top-box and iDTV) approval process to reassure consumers that approved receivers will work with all aspects of the SAORVIEW service. Only SAORVIEW Approved receivers will be allowed to carry the official SAORVIEW logo on their packaging and marketing materials.

RTÉ recommends that consumers wishing to avail of the SAORVIEW service only purchase SAORVIEW approved set-top-boxes or iDTVs."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Nicola on behalf of Ash:

Hey Alan,

lol, you're not a moran. But it might be easier for you to give me a call instore on (01)4740788 and I can talk you through the options.

"I have a roof antenna but I thought I could pick up the new digital Irish channels with the receiver in the tv without using an antenna?" - Your TV is a reciever but it needs to recieve the signal from somewhere. This is where your antenna comes in.

Give me a shout when you're at home and I'll talk you through your tuning. Nicola. :)

• Advertisement

Awesome. Thanks!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 chegz

Hi Ashley

Could I ask a similar question in relation to receiving a RTE digital signal on a Sony 46EX503. I am based in N.Ireland and recieive RTE analogue through roof top antenna (the rabbit did a runner :))

I have tried running digital set up a few times with the auto tuning range set at both full and normal and it does not pick up RTE. I have no problem picking up the anaolgue RTE on the analogue channels but the picture quality is just not the same as digital quality.

Any help you can provide would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks
    Chegz

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

chegz wrote: »
    Hi Ashley

Could I ask a similar question in relation to receiving a RTE digital signal on a Sony 46EX503. I am based in N.Ireland and recieive RTE analogue through roof top antenna (the rabbit did a runner :))

I have tried running digital set up a few times with the auto tuning range set at both full and normal and it does not pick up RTE. I have no problem picking up the anaolgue RTE on the analogue channels but the picture quality is just not the same as digital quality.

Any help you can provide would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks
    Chegz

Chegz,

As far as I know the 503 is not Saorview approved, however it does Feature Freeview HD so you SHOULD be able to receive Saorview, however the digital signal does not 'travel' as well as the old analogue signal so I would speak to the guys on the Terrestrial Forum and ask them about antenna alignment and coverage in your area..

Thanks again and please drop me a line if I can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3 auch_aye

Could I ask a question? This is my first post so it could end up anywhere....

I have a Sony Bravia (KDL-40W4500) that was receiving digital RTE channels earlier this year/last year. I noticed recently that it is no-longer "picking-up" digital and when I try and re-tune it, it fails to find anything. My reception of analogue has always been very poor (location is near Clonmel). Is problem this due to something that has changed in terms of how/what is being transmitted or is it likely that my external aerial or digital tuner has gone faulty?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.