Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannonvale, Old Cratloe Road

Options
  • 09-10-2011 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hey all, Hoping to move out the Caherdavin side of town soon, and I've found a lovely gaff in Shannonvale.....but...I've heard some awful things about the Old Cratloe Road and everything that comes with it. Can anyone help me shed some light on my predicament?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Big_Evil

Was out there for a while - is aint so bad - especially if you are in off the road. Usually some dodgy characters around the Spar shop there alright, but close to Dunnes, close to LIT, motorway/dual carriageway not too far away, decent bus times, and Shannonvale is pretty quiet anyway so go for it.

Whatever you heard is probably exaggrated anyways :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Shannonvale are nice houses and are superwarm homes, never seen any problems in there and Ive been in out of there doing installs since the estate has been built

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

there is a garda car in there every day at least, the regeneration has moved some lovely people in.

just last week i heard a couple screaming having a fihgt for over an hour out on the street.

dont get me wrong, dont know of any breakins, but my mates live there and everytime im over im seeing stuff/hearing things the further into the estate the worse it gets

Jagle wrote: »
    there is a garda car in there every day at least, the regeneration has moved some lovely people in.

just last week i heard a couple screaming having a fihgt for over an hour out on the street.

dont get me wrong, dont know of any breakins, but my mates live there and everytime im over im seeing stuff/hearing things the further into the estate the worse it gets

there isnt an estate in the city that hasnt had some1 moved in from some from of regeneration estate , i have loads of friends in Shannonvale and none of them have any problem...the old rules apply if u look for trouble u find it...get on with ur neighbours and u should be fine.

steveon wrote: »
    there isnt an estate in the city that hasnt had some1 moved in from some from of regeneration estate , i have loads of friends in Shannonvale and none of them have any problem...the old rules apply if u look for trouble u find it...get on with ur neighbours and u should be fine.

yep completely agree with you, bottom line is everytime i call over 2-3 times a week i hear **** going on, when im not there i hear about **** going on, i see the garda cars every day rolling in and outta the estate, only 2 weeks ago two cars pulled up and blocked the entrance to the estate and one guy started beating up the driver of one of the cars, heads going at it

fact is, its a nice area, with some bad people, close to an area full of bad peope, near a shop that acts as a meeting place to bad people

• Advertisement

yep completely agree with you, bottom line is everytime i call over 2-3 times a week i hear **** going on, when im not there i hear about **** going on, i see the garda cars every day rolling in and outta the estate, only 2 weeks ago two cars pulled up and blocked the entrance to the estate and one guy started beating up the driver of one of the cars, heads going at it

fact is, its a nice area, with some bad people, close to an area full of bad peope, near a shop that acts as a meeting place to bad people

But as I said this is happening everywhere not just there, there are a few bad apples in every estate which is a disgrace as people are fighting to pay there mortgages while lowlifes can live next door from free and pull the rest of the area down....its a sad and sorry shame what regeneration has done and should be scrapped completely except to the elderly and disabled who should be well looked after.

steveon wrote: »
    But as I said this is happening everywhere not just there, there are a few bad apples in every estate which is a disgrace as people are fighting to pay there mortgages while lowlifes can live next door from free and pull the rest of the area down....its a sad and sorry shame what regeneration has done and should be scrapped completely except to the elderly and disabled who should be well looked after.

i wouldnt say everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Big_Evil

Hahaha! I think I know who you are referring to there - so they are arguing al fresco now, eh ? :D

Seriously though, there is always stuff going on in places where 'diverse' communities are in one place - even more diverse when it comes to regeneration......fact of life in any major town/city......

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

l am living in the area for 20 years and the biggest problem at the moment is the spar and off licence which is a magnet for scumbags,the main cratloe rd is a bit dodgy because of this and some students have been mugged or assaulted,otherwise just be on your guard as with every other place.
    shannonvale is fine because its off the main road and no reason for the knacks to go through there.
    overall the main rd is very busy with students and plenty of traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jocksandsocks

i lived in there for nearly 2 years up until last may,its a grand place.shannonvale has plenty of kids around but besides them its quiet enough.the shop across the road can be rough at times with teenagers trying to get drink.theres a lovely pub just up the road from it,nice atmosphere and great spot to watch a match!!
    schools,college,bus service all nearby and duel carraigeway only 5 mins away

id highly recommend it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭mkegvn

Cheers for all the replies! Took that house. Moving in next week. I'll keep ya'll posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Hoveywan

I've been here for 6 years. No real issues to be honest. There are the odd few dodgy looking geezers knocking around and the council have bought a few houses for "regeneration" like the one next door to me (turned out to be nice people who just wanted to get out of where they were).

Biggest issue now is it looks like no one is cutting the common grass areas anymore. Does anyone know whats going on with that? Do we need to get the council in or is it going to have to be a "community pitch in together"?

Advertisement