Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upc broadband charlesland

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Techy_1

Please note your download speeds are not necessarily a signal of your streaming of Voip Speeds see below for more info on this.

For example if you are having difficulty using Skype or phone or xbox live this would not really be a Speed issue as more so a latency issue and is to do with Ping results

One way to check you latency is to open command prompt by going to
    Start>Run> "cmd" then click ok. In the box type the following
    (without quotation marks) "ping -t 89.101.160.4" then hit enter.
    Leave to run for a few minutes. After about 3 minutes or so Hold down
    "CTRL C (The letter C)" You should see something like this:
    185943.JPG

If there is a loss of 1 packet and then its ok this will not affect download speed, however if there is a loss of 5 or more packets per minute then there may be an issue with your connection. In which case call UPC and have them boost the signal.

For info only here my speeds
    185944.png

Note the address being pinged is the DNS server of UPC

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Anyone else's not working?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

just a question for those of you in Charlesland who have a UPC Broadband - what's the max bandwidth package for broadband available in Charlesland? Just looking at the bundles at the moment as sugggested by matt-dublin in another thread and the bundles are very favourable. :) So is it 25 or 50Mb, or even 100Mb if available?!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Techy_1

astrofluff wrote: »
    just a question for those of you in Charlesland who have a UPC Broadband - what's the max bandwidth package for broadband available in Charlesland? Just looking at the bundles at the moment as sugggested by matt-dublin in another thread and the bundles are very favourable. :) So is it 25 or 50Mb, or even 100Mb if available?!

I live in Charlesland Court and I am getting 25MB by UPC speed test and speedtest.net is giving this:

1728586141.png

The point of the matter is a 25MB connection in Charlesland is officially condended at 16-1 but the wiring coming into the house is split 3 ways.
    I had massive latency problems when I lived in Wood and the engineer showed me where the connection is split into 3 drop points from 1 fiber connection point under the path.

The long and the short of it is that I get on average minimum 1.6MB pure all to myself, i never suffer latency since they upgraded the network.
    Xbox live 2GB game down in less time than it takes to boil the kettle.

The connection arrives via Satellite which is on the roof of Seabourne Apartments. Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markest

Techy_1 wrote: »
    I live in Charlesland Court and I am getting 25MB by UPC speed test and speedtest.net is giving this:

s

Snap and here's my speedtest:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1729107681.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

was getting 25mb the other night at about midnight.

will post a speedtest when home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

My result from just now.

1729192728.png

I am on the, now unavailable, 30 MB connection though. It was never changed.

25MB is the max available now although I have heard rumours that the 100MB, along with HD TV will be rolled out early this year. I got a call back from one of the sales guys last night after I sent them an email the other day and they told me that they haven't received their roll out plans for the year yet but should know more towards the end of Feb (although I think this is a fairly common line to get you off their back).

yeah they said that to me last year, can't wait for the HD service (got my eyes lasered last year and now can see the difference!!)

does anyone think though that they've been gradually reducing the quality of television broadcasting and recording for the last few years so they can sell HD as a new product?

...got my eyes lasered....does anyone think though that they've been gradually reducing the quality of television broadcasting...so they can sell HD as a new product?

;) might be connected somehow!?

Good to hear what's available. 25Mb is better than the 7.6Mb connection I'm getting off the ADSL2+ exchange. For some reason my broadband is fine, then it's not, then it is again. Completely all over the place. I've put up with it for a month so now it's time to change. :rolleyes:

ive been telling you to move for months!!!

i knew my pestering would get you across!

i should work for UPC :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

SHILL! I call shill.

:D

d31b0y wrote: »
    SHILL! I call shill.

:D
    i think i should get comission on this sale...

1730159324.png

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

Just rang UPC to question the old broadband standalone charge that applied back in the day when I signed up, even when you had the phone service.

Not only did they remove it to align me to what new customers have, but as I was so nice to them and I am such a loyal customer :rolleyes: I am getting the next two months for free... :D

yeah, every time in ring them they put me through to customer loyalty, just waiting for the HD service now so i can get that for free too :D

Ok, when they ring I'll say that both Janneg and matt-dublin have got discounts ;) I'll cancel in the 14 day cooling period if they don't give me some discounts!

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

Sounds like a great plan...

You may have to stick with them though for 15 days to get the loyalty discounts... :P

Advertisement