Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brisbane in January

Options
  • 09-10-2011 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

Hello, im heading to Bris in January and was looking to know what your thoughts are on it?

Im looking to go the first week in Jan on a WHV, my mates are already there and they said it will be really really HOT:D in Jan. I was looking to get the 88days out of the way for my 2nd visa but they said it may too hot over there and maybe wait until later on in the year to cool down to do it.

I am looking into roles such as data entry/Transport planning/dispatcher something in line of logistics, maybe the airports/mines/transportion might have something.

i also was reviewing http://www.transfercar.com.au as well as i would like to travel for less;) if you know what i mean. Has anyone used transfercar or any other rental agencey for travel?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Good on ya for doing some research, there is a bit of everything going on in Brisbane, but most employers are cagey about giving out full time work for employees that can only do 6 months for them. Get the 2nd year visa nailed down and approved early, but be prepared for the concept of casual work. and get in touch with your mates, keep ears to the ground etc. as that is the quickest and most effective way to land some good money, unless you have a qualification or skill in demand or a brass neck and cojones to go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

Good on ya for doing some research, there is a bit of everything going on in Brisbane, but most employers are cagey about giving out full time work for employees that can only do 6 months for them. Get the 2nd year visa nailed down and approved early, but be prepared for the concept of casual work. and get in touch with your mates, keep ears to the ground etc. as that is the quickest and most effective way to land some good money, unless you have a qualification or skill in demand or a brass neck and cojones to go with it.
    Thanks bud!!! Yea I've been doing alot of research on it. I intend to stay there for good if I like it, legally that is. My mates seem to think I'm going over there to drink:D think there gonna be surprised !!! I'm planning to get my 88days out of the way ASAP. Work wise I'm looking at seek.au everyday and sending cvs, I'm looking more at the airports as they have to have a steady stream of short time or 6month work going.... I'm only flying over to my mates in Brisbane first as they have there own house and it will give me a starting point and they can give me some info on the ins and outs of that area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Kaneda_

Can i ask what age you are?

Kaneda_ wrote: »
    Can i ask what age you are?
    Ahhh comes on LOL u could of pm'd me for a date :D hahahhahahaa I'm 26, is that good or bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

be careful with airport and port jobs, some of them require security clearance that requires citizenship.... best of luck

• Advertisement

be careful with airport and port jobs, some of them require security clearance that requires citizenship.... best of luck

i will get a gards clearance from here just incase;) cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭greenprincess

it will be pretty hot in jan for farm work. but if ur able to drive tractors or combine's there should still be some work going for late wheat harvests. Cotton Harvesting is a good one though, it usually starts in march/april. they will start advertising on gumtree or harvest trail soon for people. you can save loads doing it and its way better then picking fruit! QLD is a good place for farm work in general tho

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Smac!

im kind of in the same boat...heading to brisbane in april!would like to get out on a farm get my regional work done(and make serious money)!i see cottonharvesting mentioned...whats needed to drive tractors over there?will our irish licence do?and is it easy enough to pick up such a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭greenprincess

Smac! wrote: »
    im kind of in the same boat...heading to brisbane in april!would like to get out on a farm get my regional work done(and make serious money)!i see cottonharvesting mentioned...whats needed to drive tractors over there?will our irish licence do?and is it easy enough to pick up such a job?

Your Irish licence will be enough. If you have any sort of experience you'll be streets ahead and an open friendly attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Aussie201

Brisbane 3 months ago was DEAD! Could not secure any type of construction labour or office administration work. I must've signed up to 30 recruitment agents and only got 3 jobs out of it.
    Got a crappy on call job laying carpet at the Brisbane exibition centre for min wage for about 2 weeks,

Then got a week on a civil site on the airport link tunnel project.

Then could not find ANY work at all so I had to invest some cash to do a Traffic control course.

It's all about tickets and experience over there. There is a new mine site opening up just outside brisbane too so you might be going at just the right time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 emcollin

Hey im in the same boat, heading to brisbane at the start of march, want to chill out for two weeks and then do fruit picking to get my second year visa! I was looking at areas around byron bay for picking and was wondering has anyone done any in this area?
    Also im on my lonesum so will I meet many people picking and that? I know a hand full of people over there but they are still travelling and I doubt they know where they will be in March yet.

So excited but so scared at the same point!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

I'm heading over around Feb too on my lonesome even though i know a couple people there, probably head off to do my rural work as soon as possible. As yous have said it'll be easier to get a job if you can work anywhere longer than 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Kaneda_

Im going to Brisbane in March,i have a friend going over the in Feb but i think i like to do my own thing for a while,maybe get the regional work out of the way and that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 emcollin

ah sure we can all be friends :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭crushproof

emcollin wrote: »
    ah sure we can all be friends :)

Haha excellent! Also looking to head out in Jan / Feb....hopefully. Not sure whether to find work in the city first and go straight into the 3 months of fruit picking. Meant to pretty hot that time of year so might give it a miss till May or June.

Advertisement