Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Restaurant - specific requirements

Options
  • 09-10-2011 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi all, I know there is a thread dedicated to restaurants in Galway already but I have more specific needs. Im trying to organize a family meal in a couple of weeks, mid week, evening time. My father is on a very strict diet and I need a restaurant that would accommodate his needs e.g. good variety of steak/fish options. I also need to accommodate everyone else so Id be looking for something middle of the road if you get me. I know the obvious options like McSwiggens but it can be very packed at times and we'd like to try something new. Would anyone recommend McDonaghs or The Townhouse? Or any other decent restaurants with seriously GOOD food in the Galway area? (it doesnt have to be city centre, were willing to travel Oranmore, Barna etc.)

Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

O'Grady's on Barna Pier is very good. Mostly seafood but there will be a steak dish on the menu as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I've found them pretty accommodating for stuff like that in The Dáil. Should be grand mid-week if you reserve. There's usually a few fish, meat and veggie options, and it's pretty middle of the road food wise, but tasty.

Townhouse is grand too, but staff a little less 'formal' in their serving style, and more pub grub like.

Mc Donaghs is fine but may not have as many options food wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mdbatches

Oh great I never thought of OGradys! Ya McDonaghs is grand but maybe not very formal. Thanks for yer suggestions guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

The Radisson restaurant is pretty reliable. Also, Park House never fails.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭GuessWho2009

Would recommend Scottys steak house on headford road. il post a link to there menu

http://www.whatsfordinner.ie/menu_scottys_steakhouse_galway.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 mdbatches

Mmm yes scottys is good alright. I dont know if its very diet friendly though! Some great suggestions, ill bear them in mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Try Kirwins Lane, its a sister restaurant of O'Grady's on the pier

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭carmex21

White Gables in Moycullen if you are looking for something a bit more upscale or 2nd vote for OGradys for the fish and seafood oprions. You could always swing the otherside for Morans for a fishy feast!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

carmex21 wrote: »
    You could always swing the otherside for Morans for a fishy feast!:)

I am sorry but I have to disagree with regard to Moran's of the Weir ... you won't find a large and varied selection of dishes on their menu. And as far as their "fishy" selection ... it comes out of a pack, is laid out on a plate and served at a high enough price. I am not questioning the quality of the stuff there, but it's perfect if you like smoked salmon, crab and prawns but you will not find a steak on their menu or much of anything else for that matter. Their kitchen is not really used for "Cooking" per se. The location of the restaurant/pub is really good on a nice sunny day.

OP, if you have specific requirements for one person, maybe you could ring them ahead and agree with them on a specific dish that corresponds to the guest's needs.

Enjoy !

ValerieR

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

ValerieR wrote: »
    I am sorry but I have to disagree with regard to Moran's of the Weir ... you won't find a large and varied selection of dishes on their menu. And as far as their "fishy" selection ... it comes out of a pack, is laid out on a plate and served at a high enough price. I am not questioning the quality of the stuff there, but it's perfect if you like smoked salmon, crab and prawns but you will not find a steak on their menu or much of anything else for that matter. Their kitchen is not really used for "Cooking" per se. The location of the restaurant/pub is really good on a nice sunny day.

OP, if you have specific requirements for one person, maybe you could ring them ahead and agree with them on a specific dish that corresponds to the guest's needs.

Enjoy !

ValerieR

I, knowing somebody who worked in Morans for years, can tell you that the above post is tripe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Thank you for the compliment Seaneh !
    I have been eating there regularly for many years now and this is what I see from a customer point of view. Again, I am not putting in question the quality of the goods Moran's put on the table. Only highlighting the fact that the OP wouldn't find a "good variety of steak/fish options" as he puts it in this particular restaurant. Moran's do not have "fish" on their menu, it's mostly seafood. And, correct me if I am wrong, but they do not have steak as an option.

Valerie

[edit : to illustrate my point, here is their menu here]

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

I think a lot of what Valerie says about Moran's is true. For what you are getting it's way overpriced and the menu is limited. I'm not really sure why it has such a great reputation.

As for other places to eat I didn't like the staff in O'Grady's a couple of times I ate there. Food was ok, nothing to write home about imo. West in the Twelve Hotel in Barna used to be good but heard someone say otherwise lately so not sure what it's like these days.

Kirwan's Lane is nice and does have a touch of class about it.

Kirby's has been really good and offers great value anytime I've eaten there. Their seating upstairs would be a little more private than downstairs near Buskers.

Haven't been eating out much in last while due to watching the pennies so not really au-fait with anywhere else other than those already mentioned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Morans don't usually do steak, but being a fish restaurant that's hard surprising. They have a decent amount of fish on their menu, They almost always have salmon and cod at least.
    Also, their seafood, atleast their Clams, Oysters, Lobster and Mussles are all fresh, not frozen, I know some of their suppliers. I'd wager their crab is fresh too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

ValerieR wrote: »

Yeah, their famous Seafood Chowder tastes like the one from the freezer in Aldi. It's uncanny. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭dasium

on a previous thread someone posted this blog with interesting recent reviews of restaurants in the Galway area...
    http://www.wisewords.ie/index.php/category/wise-words-reviews/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,990 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Yeah, their famous Seafood Chowder tastes like the one from the freezer in Aldi. It's uncanny. ;)

No reason why stuff from Aldi shouldn't be famous! :p

Advertisement