Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurants in Clonmel

Options
  • 09-10-2011 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for suggestions on a good restaurant in Clonmel. I'm heading over next Monday & Tuesday. I appreciate some restaurants don't always open early in the week. Not looking for a Chinese or Indian for this trip. Kind of fancy Spanish, Italian, Greek etc.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Catalpa or Beffani's.They are both Italian'ish.
    Both beside one another on Sarsfield street(just off O Connell Street)
    and both are as good as one another.I think that they open at about 6.30 until about 9.00 or 9.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,688 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Galileo on Gladstone Street, and it's not even close. Italian restaurant. Opens after lunch time every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

catalpa and beffani's are quite expensive-i haven't been in years- but the galileo is more reasonable. the quality of the other 2 is superior to the galileo mind.

for standard nosh,would have to advise you to consider chrissies on western road. there's an early bird available. you can buy a bottle of wine in their off licence and drink it above. the pub below it is one to avoid tho!
    mr bumbles do a decent early bird and you'll find a post here from a few weeks ago about d'amigos.i like the lemongrass also

avoid the hotels esp minella!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

digzy wrote: »
    catalpa and beffani's are quite expensive-i haven't been in years- but the galileo is more reasonable. the quality of the other 2 is superior to the galileo mind.

for standard nosh,would have to advise you to consider chrissies on western road. there's an early bird available. you can buy a bottle of wine in their off licence and drink it above. the pub below it is one to avoid tho!
    mr bumbles do a decent early bird and you'll find a post here from a few weeks ago about d'amigos.i like the lemongrass also

avoid the hotels esp minella!

To be fair, Catalpa and Benfani's have come down in price a good bit over the last year or so, and they're worth the money for the quality of food on offer.

I do agree with everything else you said tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Thanks everyone. I did a bit of research based on the suggestions. Looks like Beffanis could be the one. Depending on the humour, a good selection of Tapas might be an option but the main courses on their menu look good too.

Back in the 90s, while a rep on the roads, I used to always have lunch in Sean Tierneys. Is it still as good?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

oldyouth wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I did a bit of research based on the suggestions. Looks like Beffanis could be the one. Depending on the humour, a good selection of Tapas might be an option but the main courses on their menu look good too.

Back in the 90s, while a rep on the roads, I used to always have lunch in Sean Tierneys. Is it still as good?

Food there is still good if a bit over-priced for what it is tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I agree with Befanis (spanish) and Catalpa (italian).
    Tierneys is still there, the food in Mulcahys is similar and of a much higher standard though (in my opinion)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

I would recommend Befanis without hesitation for Lunch (never been there in the evening so I won't comment). It is more expensive than some hotels or pubs but you are only talking about 2-3 euros more for a nice main course as opposed to the overcooked tasteless carvary mass-produced rubbish you get elsewhere. You are talking 13.99 as opposed to 10.99. Just have a glass of water instead of a coke and the cost difference is miniscule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

The early bird in Befani's is worth it however their regular menu prices are expensive imho I think Catalpa's regular prices would be the same as Befani's early bird ones.

Just back from Clonmel. Was undecided on Catalpas or Befanis on the night. Catalpa's menus looked more authentic but unfortunately doesn't open on a Monday night.

Anyway, went in to Befanis to find 3 other tables occupied, which is understandable for the night that was in it. Nice room and 2 very pleasant waitresses. To be honest, I don't see how it could be described as Mediterranean in any way as the menu was very 'traditional', unless you count calling some of the starters as Tapas reason enough.

The meal was OK, but, but in no way could it be described as special. The calamari tapas I had as a starter was lovely. My wife ordered the 8oz steak from the early bird menu and I ordered the 10oz from the main menu. She got a far nicer piece than I did, which was a bit chewy.

Overall we didn't really enjoy the experience. We arrived at 7.45pm and by the time we had finished our starters, the restaurant was down to just ourselves and another table. Half way through the main course, it was just us. Don't get me wrong, I presume a Monday night is quiet everywhere and we had expected this. What I did object to, was the staff basically closing the place down all around us by removing all the table cloths in a bit of a frenzy and loudly chucking all the cutlery back in to their trays. To top it off, all of this was followed by a strong waft of disenfectant billowing upstairs from where, I presume, the kitchen staff were cleaning down.

When we finished the main course, we were asked by the polite waitress what desert we would like. We declined and hit the street by 9pm. Sorry, but I couldn't recommend the place to anyone. I might go out to a nice restaurant just 6 or 7 times a year, so I'm not a foodie in that respect but I have had far better value in far more welcoming restaurants than this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,688 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Should have went to Galileo ^^^^^

Went to Tierneys for a quick bite yesterday evening around 7.30pm. The place was as dead as can be but lovely curry for me and chicken for herself made it a more enjoyable meal than the night before. Lovely waitress there made us feel very welcome.

Have to say O'Connell St around 9pm is eerily quiet.

Went to Tierneys for a quick bite yesterday evening around 7.30pm. The place was as dead as can be but lovely curry for me and chicken for herself made it a more enjoyable meal than the night before. Lovely waitress there made us feel very welcome.

Have to say O'Connell St around 9pm is eerily quiet.

Not surprised to hear O'Connell is dead quiet at 9pm on a Tuesday night, you have to bare in mind, the majority of shops on O'Connell St, close at 6pm during the week, so it really is quiet after 6.

As far Tierney's I'm not surprised that was quiet too. The pub has only recently appeared online for sale and from what I hear trade in their on the weekends have gotten very poor. Shame that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

I see Brazils / 19th hole is for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

Just back from Clonmel. Was undecided on Catalpas or Befanis on the night. Catalpa's menus looked more authentic but unfortunately doesn't open on a Monday night.

Anyway, went in to Befanis to find 3 other tables occupied, which is understandable for the night that was in it. Nice room and 2 very pleasant waitresses. To be honest, I don't see how it could be described as Mediterranean in any way as the menu was very 'traditional', unless you count calling some of the starters as Tapas reason enough.

The meal was OK, but, but in no way could it be described as special. The calamari tapas I had as a starter was lovely. My wife ordered the 8oz steak from the early bird menu and I ordered the 10oz from the main menu. She got a far nicer piece than I did, which was a bit chewy.

Overall we didn't really enjoy the experience. We arrived at 7.45pm and by the time we had finished our starters, the restaurant was down to just ourselves and another table. Half way through the main course, it was just us. Don't get me wrong, I presume a Monday night is quiet everywhere and we had expected this. What I did object to, was the staff basically closing the place down all around us by removing all the table cloths in a bit of a frenzy and loudly chucking all the cutlery back in to their trays. To top it off, all of this was followed by a strong waft of disenfectant billowing upstairs from where, I presume, the kitchen staff were cleaning down.

When we finished the main course, we were asked by the polite waitress what desert we would like. We declined and hit the street by 9pm. Sorry, but I couldn't recommend the place to anyone. I might go out to a nice restaurant just 6 or 7 times a year, so I'm not a foodie in that respect but I have had far better value in far more welcoming restaurants than this one.

That's a pity. It's a nice place for Lunch but it's not the first time I have heard some complaints about the evening service (never been there at night myself).

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

4 of us were there last night.

The other 3 really enjoyed it but I have to say I was a bit disappointed.

It's not that it was bad or anything but I was probably expecting too much and got normal.

Still I suppose that's a "3-stars out of 4" rating isn't it.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

i live in clonmel and have tried a few places-i have never been to befanis though but that is because many people i know have gone and i have been told its overpriced and not worth the money.

Chrissies is a great place- been there a load of times- brought the in laws there last year too.The foods always lovely and the staff always very nice

Gallelio and catalpa are both very nice though i did once find a dead bug in my chip portion in gallelio but that was years ago.

My partners not a big fan of mulcahys- he finds the potatos very lumpy and the mean very rubbery- thats just his opnion though.

I ate in ternies only last week- i like it- find it very homley :)

Though for your next visit out of all of these id recommend you try chrissies. Lovely spot!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭nowayjosie

i live in clonmel and have tried a few places-i have never been to befanis though but that is because many people i know have gone and i have been told its overpriced and not worth the money.

Chrissies is a great place- been there a load of times- brought the in laws there last year too.The foods always lovely and the staff always very nice

Gallelio and catalpa are both very nice though i did once find a dead bug in my chip portion in gallelio but that was years ago.

My partners not a big fan of mulcahys- he finds the potatos very lumpy and the mean very rubbery- thats just his opnion though.

I ate in ternies only last week- i like it- find it very homley :)

Though for your next visit out of all of these id recommend you try chrissies. Lovely spot!!!

do you know of any good vegetarian restaurant in clonmel

Can anyone recommend a good restaurant in clonmel which offer vegetarian dishes?????????:)

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ants09

nowayjosie wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good restaurant in clonmel which offer vegetarian dishes?????????:)

Mr Bumbles does a nice vegetarian meal the last few times i was in it.

If you really like a vegetarian meal try Tiffany's in Dungarvan i know its a good drive away but well worth it i thank.

• Advertisement

ants09 wrote: »
    Mr Bumbles does a nice vegetarian meal the last few times i was in it.

If you really like a vegetarian meal try Tiffany's in Dungarvan i know its a good drive away but well worth it i thank.

Thanks ants09,

I will give Mr Bumbles a try and will also visit Tiffanys next time im in Dungarvan.:)

Advertisement