Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

lawn Grass Cuttings

• 09-10-2011 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

just a quick question re lawn cuttings. Can these cuttings be fed to heifers or cows and calves. Somebody told me it is not good. Any info would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

My neighbours always throw their cuttings in over the hedge and now some of the cuter lads wander over when they hear the mower starting. Never did any harm to be honest.

it could in theory cause bloat as it is all fresh short grass (from being cut often) but a huge amount would have to be consumed I would say. Also, would worry if there any pesticides or lawn feed on it.

Horses could get cholic from it thoguh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Dont feed it to any stock. The grass itself is rarely a problem as if there are animals in there they will eat it there and then.
    The problem arises if there are no animals there a while and the grass goes mouldy. The animals come back into the paddock and eat it and then some can get listeriosis(?) i think.
    It was covered a while back here. I will try to dig up the link tomorrow if someone hasnt already done so by then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 knotta clue

Tubby. Thanks for the info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 knotta clue

5Live. Thanks for the info. i will check link if you get a chance tomorrow. thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Tubby. Thanks for the info
    Ah well. Dont say you werent warned:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

just a quick question re lawn cuttings. Can these cuttings be fed to heifers or cows and calves. Somebody told me it is not good. Any info would be appreciated

Can in theory cause bloat.

Can in theory contain poisonous weeds or garden plants.

I personally don't let them go to cattle or sheep. Besides when used as a mulch they do too good a job keeping weeds down under shrubs and at the base of the hedge.

LC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭mjcom4d

Do not ever under any circumstance feed it if there's a yew tree there also check for ragwort too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Not at all good for horses, it can cause colic buy volume eaten or colic or laminitis due to the grass breaking down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

used to always feed it to bucket reared calves in the shed and never had problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

I throw mine up on the dung, neighbors dogs use it as a toilet:mad: Not worth it considering other points made too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ddogsbollix

the lawn grass is fine as long as there are no poisonious weeds in it. however the lawn grass would want to be consumed within the day or day after as it goes mouldy and this is highly dangerous for the cattle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

I throw mine up on the dung, neighbors dogs use it as a toilet:mad: Not worth it considering other points made too.

doggy doo would be my biggest concern as well, could lead to cases of neospora

Advertisement