Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moped for camper

• 09-10-2011 11:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭

We have always used bicycles while away in our camper. Its a standard coach built 6 berth on a 2,8JTD Ducato. We will now be travelling on our own as the kids will not be joining us any more. As we are getting older and also we have more oppurtunities to go places when we park up our camper, we are investigating the possibility of bringing a moped with us.
    We are wondering has anyone any suggestions on the best way of doing this. Is there a "moped rack" or sometning similiar?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There are loads like this available. Or you could get one made fairly easily.

As they say on the site make sure you aren't exceeding your axle loads or going over your licence weight limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

if your planing your on putting a moped rack on you have to work out what weight your van can take so you dont overload the axles
    i found this, should keep you busy ;)

Here is the calculator to find out the weight you are adding to the back axle

A x C then divide by B

example is 35 kg rack and scooter of 115kgs =150 kgs (A)

Weight of Scooter and Rack = 150 (A)
    Wheelbase = Distance from centres of F to R wheels 320cm (B)
    Distance from centre of front wheel to centre of the bike rack 470cm (C)

A x C /B = 150 x 470 = 70500 / 320

This gives you a load of 220.13kg on the back axle
    Go to a weighbridge with the van loaded as normal inc passengers etc get each axle weighed and record the results

Add the above weight to your rear axle true loading and if it is higher than the weight plate on your van you can't fit it.

Very few towballs have a capacity exceeding 80kgs so be cautious of towball mounted racks

i liked this one it takes both a pushbike and a moped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Just a suggestion you could add an petrol motor to your bikes for less than the cost of the carrier for a moped.

Caveat: You may feel like an old french man in an art house movie from the 60s while operating it.

paddyp wrote: »
    Just a suggestion you could add an petrol motor to your bikes for less than the cost of the carrier for a moped.

How would you go about making yourself legal on that? There are only 4 motorcycle insurance companies in Ireland, we don't have our continental cousins Moped laws, and I can't see them insuring a home built Moped.

Or could it ever be legally ridden here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I don't know how heavy they are on electricity whilst charging (on hook up it may be an issue), or how heavy they are weight wise, but would an electric bike be an option? I think they get around the legal issues by being assisted pedaling...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Thanks for all the responses. Very useful. We are leaning towards the moped because of the range it gives from the campsite. My other half would do a 20 mile round trip max on a push bike (or electric bike!!). I suppose I just need to get the van weighed now. To weigh the axels seperately is it just a matter of driving one set of wheels off the weighbridge? Any ideas where one would get this done? I am in the Dublin area but have some contacts in Dublin Docks so that may be a start..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

If there is a problem with carrying the weight of the scooter and bracket on the back axle have a look at EZETOW TRAILERS their unit will keep the weight off the towing vehicle and they don't have the disadvantages of a regular trailer when reversing.

youtube video

niloc1951 wrote: »
    If there is a problem with carrying the weight of the scooter and bracket on the back axle have a look at EZETOW TRAILERS their unit will keep the weight off the towing vehicle and they don't have the disadvantages of a regular trailer when reversing.

youtube video

They look cool, are they restricted to 80km/h?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Best I have seen is an "Easy Lifter" comes in a few varieties, smaller model suitable for up to 200kgs and can be got with and without a winch, effortless, set you back around 5-800 euro depending on what you are looking for, buddy carries an R1 on his camper

Pic I located on the net

Easylifter_08.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Del2005 wrote: »
    They look cool, are they restricted to 80km/h?

Short answer, I don't know.
    The 80Kmh limit for trailers only applies elsewhere for large commercial type trailers. For example in France the speed limit for a car/caravan is the same as for a car solo.
    Here in the good ould RoI we are the only ones which make no distinction between a lightweight car type trailer and a 40' arctic.

But then again, because of the way it is attached without articulation to the towing vehicle it may not be considered to be a trailer from a legal definition perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Del2005 wrote: »
    How would you go about making yourself legal on that? There are only 4 motorcycle insurance companies in Ireland, we don't have our continental cousins Moped laws, and I can't see them insuring a home built Moped.

Or could it ever be legally ridden here?

Met some english people in the burren with them, their friend also had a mint raleigh wisp which I though was fab. In the uk as long as its under 16mph and 1kw its fairly straightforward to get a single vehicle type approval cert for it apparently. I assumed you can get the same here but judging by the protests two weeks ago the days of any kind of custom bike are nearly gone:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056372008

• Registered Users Posts: 17 blokarter

I see someone else has mentioned an easylifter.

I saw this set up for sale a few days ago. Looks like there may be no issues with weight as it has wheels. I would love it but out of my price range.

Might be what you are looking for http://motorhomecraic.com/viewtopic.php?t=181

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

If you do get a moped, don't forget that, unless you have a bike licence, you'll have to stick to something under 50cc.

I know a guy with a Honda AN125 in his camper, and he carries in the space under the rear bunk (not inside the camper). Bear in mind, if they can't see it, they can't rob it........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement