Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sim message (emergency calls only)

Options
  • 09-10-2011 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

Is this a common failing in mobile phone -when you do have a Sim Card in? It seems to be happening to me more often.
    I get around it by rebooting ,maybe removing and reinserting the SimCard and , on one occasion by ringing it from another phone.
    I also get a message that I don't understand when I get asked to "select network?" yes or no ?
    I can't figure out should I say yes or no so sometimes I say Yes and sometimes No .

Could it be that I need to get a replacement SimCard -or could the phone (or the settings ) be at fault?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

geordief wrote: »
    Is this a common failing in mobile phone -when you do have a Sim Card in? It seems to be happening to me more often.
    I get around it by rebooting ,maybe removing and reinserting the SimCard and , on one occasion by ringing it from another phone.
    I also get a message that I don't understand when I get asked to "select network?" yes or no ?
    I can't figure out should I say yes or no so sometimes I say Yes and sometimes No .

Could it be that I need to get a replacement SimCard -or could the phone (or the settings ) be at fault?

Could be either way. You could try a sim exchange first :) Sim exchange is free :) Getting a new phone isnt. Try the same Sim in a diff phone as well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭geordief

thanks
    I'll try the simplest things first! (actually now I think about it the sim it does work alright in the second phone I have).
    Is there a way to reset your phone to default (factory) settings ? (I suspect these smartphones are a little smarter than I am....)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

thanks
    I'll try the simplest things first! (actually now I think about it the sim it does work alright in the second phone I have).
    Is there a way to reset your phone to default (factory) settings ? (I suspect these smartphones are a little smarter than I am....)

Well i would have to know which phone it is first ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

OP,

Are you with O2? They tanked a load of phones last week.

no -its Vodafone.

• Advertisement

its a Samsung gt-s5560 (think its referred to as a "Marvel")

A
    its a Samsung gt-s5560 (think its referred to as a "Marvel")
    Have you loaded a custom rom or unlocked it?

dial *#06#

if your imei is reported as 00490999.... or something similar, you need a new phone. moving network or sim wont help. UNLESS you backed up your EFS.

RangeR wrote: »
    A
    Have you loaded a custom rom or unlocked it?

dial *#06#

if your imei is reported as 00490999.... or something similar, you need a new phone. moving network or sim wont help. UNLESS you backed up your EFS.
    Well I bought this phone new from Carphonewarehouse.
    I don't have any question about it being stolen , if that is what you mean.

It hasn't conked out on me but every so often it will ask me if I want to select a network or not , and sometimes it will not seem to accept there is a sim card in it.
    But ,when I get past it (by rebooting or taking out/replacing the sim card) it will, carry on working normally for a long time.

It is really just an annoyance that I think may have been caused by me attempting to change the settings when I was trying to set up email via my wifi in the house as opposed to going through Vodafone.

I couldn't go back and work out (remember) what I might have done so it would be handy if there was just a reset button like there is when you have to format your PC

I don't have any question about it being stolen , if that is what you mean.

It wasn't. My SGS no longer works on any network [O2 as of last week]. My IMEI is corrupt. It's not stolen but there is no way for O2 [or any network] to know this.

That's why I asked you to check "dialling *#06#". If this number doesn't match the number under your battery, and you didn't install a custom ROM or unlock your phone, you may have no choice but to return it to CPW.

Note : DO NOT post your IMEI here.

well the IMEI on mine comes up the same when I dial *#06# as it shows under the battery.

• Advertisement
Advertisement