Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of getting a cat.

• 10-10-2011 12:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭

I've recently moved house and decided to get myself a cat. I have always had pets, both cats and dogs, but where i live now has me wondering is this a good idea. Although i'm living in the countryside, i live right beside a very busy main road.

As the cat would be spending most of its time outdoors, i'm wondering if its too much of a risk. I've always had either cats or dogs as pets from a young age and i don't have the room for a dog at the moment.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

Although I believe in letting a cat live outdoors, I think it would be too much of a risk if you live near a busy road. Unless you could contain it in the garden, I do not think it would survive long before being killed on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Cat s are a lot more clever then we give them credit for. I live beside a busy (ish) road and like your self I was worried sick when I moved here (I had the cat before I moved)
    A friend gave me a tip of getting a reflective collar, It will maybe make drives more aware of him/her if they are road side. My cat is safe as houses so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

The last Cat I had just showed up in my Kitchen one day, strolled in the back door, I fed him anyway and hoped he'd bugger off but he stayed around so I kept feeding him.

He guilted me into it sitting on the Windowsill looking in at me:rolleyes:.

This went on for 3 months untill a Car hit him one day so I had to bring him to the Vet, X-Rays, Overnight stays, drips and €500 later I brought him "home" and he was grand, not a loss, a few weeks passed AND THEN HE JUST DISAPPEARED NEVER TO BE SEEN AGAIN!:eek::mad:

I hate Cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Get a Jack Russell.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭DonnchaMc

This went on for 3 months untill a Car hit him one day so I had to bring him to the Vet, X-Rays, Overnight stays, drips and €500 later I brought him "home" and he was grand, not a loss, a few weeks passed AND THEN HE JUST DISAPPEARED NEVER TO BE SEEN AGAIN!:eek::mad:

I hate Cats.

OUCH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

How about a big floppy rabbit if your garden is properly walled in? They can be house trained and are cuddly. If I wasn't able to have dogs or cats that's what I'd go for.

Advertisement