Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

young toddler worms

• 10-10-2011 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Tonight I discovered worms on my 18 month old son's soiled nappy. There were quiet a few of them there, and he hasn't been sleeping and eating well the past few weeks Now I remember having them myself as a kid and getting regular worm doses, but he does seem very young to have them. Does anyone else have experience of worms in very young toddlers. should I totally cut all sugary foods out of his diet?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

He's not too young at all. It's worms - all mammals get worms. Go to your local pharmacy and get an age appropriate worm tablet. Sugar has nothing to do with it - worms get transmitted in a multitude of ways. It's not something you need to worry about.

Moved thread to Newborn & Toddlers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Hi

a) wash ALL bedclothes in hot wash
    b) get worming tablets , all the family must take them , that means YOU .
    c) be really really really careful about washing hands etc

Don't worry , it's common enough , but it made my flesh crawl when our little one got them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Hi

Sorry , I should have added , wash all soft toys that may be in the bed also....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

HI

Our then 16month old girl had them last July . I swear I nearly lost mylife, was disgusted. AS 18mointh old still wearing nappy its unlikey that baby will reinfect itself. Just get rid of napies straight away and wash hands welll. I got worm dose from chemist,.Had to check with doc as she so young but it not an issue. I did change nappies very regularly , justto prevent worm/egg build up. I also used to clean anus really well.
    All in house and child minders were dosed too. You must do follow up dose in 2wks. All othr comments on washing bed clothes toys are completely correct.

Its rotten but they do go really effectively once dose is used.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭margio

thanks folks,

I spoke with my pharmacist today and he was very helpful, and gave me thorough instructions on the dosage required, as the medication in Question directed for it not to be given to under 2's. I washed all toys and bedclothes today. The only reason that I Was grossed out was because of his age. My 5 year old Daughter had them when she was 3 and low and behold I checked her bowel movement this morning and it was covered with them, so I guess she's the culprit. I got thinking after reading the posts and my 18 month old son is looked after by me as I am a stay at home Mother, so they must have been brought in to the house by her, so I made sure to check her BM first thing this morning . I expect to encounter these little buggers alot during parenthood. My Hubby refuses to take the dose, as he said when he was young he had them loads of times and his parents never got them. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Hi Margio,

TBH my husband only took on dose, really he does not do too much with kids compared to me/you so that prob ok. If you really wanted to gross Hubby out you could tell him that his parents prob had worms long term....Might put him thinking. I know my babysitter does her daughter every halloween and easter as a preventative, but my sister reckons this pointless as you could get them a week after..
    There was a famous opera singer singer that had a tapeworm deliberately as a weight control measure. Im still prob carrying 2stone myself but not a hope would i consider it...

take care

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

That was always my nightmare as my fella would pick anything up and eat it, thankfully my 2 boys age 6 and 4 never had them my eldest did when she was around 6 they do advise you treat the whole household at least once a year as a precaution.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭pennypitstop

Vermox is what we use and is very effective. Available for adults and children. Thread worms are very common but easily treated, dont fret:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

if its an ongoing problem including raw carrot and beetroot in the family's regular diet is a good deterrent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭fi1979

Hi all,

Someone told me that cats are a major culprit when it comes to worms, so if your kids are in regular contact with cats, make sure they are washing hands religiously, and if its your own cat, that they also are wormed regularly.

Not pleasant, I'm sure!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement