Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to care for older Rolex?

• 10-10-2011 1:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

I was given, a few years ago, an older Rolex that had been left to my auld lad. I am just wondering what, if anything, I should do with it to preserve it?

The case is pretty worn but the watch runs well. I had the local jewellers clean and regulate it when I got it, they were Rolex agents years ago.

This picture is not great, the hands are a blued metal colour in reality. The crown screws in and locks, the case back is plain metal with no writing on it.

Any suggestions as to how I should care for this one would be appreciated.

I have posted this in another thread, but got no replies there. Reposting here for advice on care and feeding ;)

It's not clear but the dial says:-

Rolex Oyster

Ultra Prima

Swiss Made

The case seems corroded also, not sure what could have caused that?

DSCF1312.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

With vintage especially rolex it's all about originality so beyond a normal service, leave well alone basically. You could get the case looked at and restored, but I don't know anyone I'd trust to do the work in Ireland. Don't get a "redial", they never look right and drop the value considerably. The hands look like replacements to me. I reckon it would have originally had so called cathedral hands like this;
    dial_after.jpg

But short answer leave well alone.

My 3 cents anyway

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement