Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for getting the best audio

• 10-10-2011 2:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

Im looking at investing in a mic to get great audio and one that keeps popping up is the rode video mic. The question i have is in relation to recording the audio on a separate device. Again the h4n keeps popping up as a great recorder. But do i need such a device if im going to use the videomic to pick up sound? Is there other recorders that just simply record audio and dont have their own onboard mics. Ideally im looking for something of high enough quality

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I've actually heard some bad feedback about the Rode video mic. I'm not sre about specifics but I would assume right away that it's main disadvantage is taht it's camera mounted, ie: you can't attach it to a boom poll to get in closer to your audio producing subjects.
    One advantage of the Videomic though, is not having to sync audio with video, which can be handy for editing purposes.

The H4N is an inexpensive recording device. It does record audio separately to your camera so it will need to be synced up separately. The built in mics are of surprisingly good quality, but as per the Videomic, you wont be able to get in close to your subjects. It does include XLR inputs so you can attach an external shotgun mic. I would recommend this course of action if you're recording anything more complex than simple interview setups.
    As for shotgun mics, this one isn't half bad and not very reasonably priced:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/97710-REG/Audio_Technica_AT8015_AT8015_Shotgun_Microphone.html

One word of advice if you decide to go for a H4N (as someone who uses one very regularly), there is a glitch in its system which is easily fixed once you know what you're doing. See this thread (you'll need to register but it'll be worth it):
    http://www.filmmakersnetwork.ie/forums/showthread.php?11399-High-pitched-whirring-noise-when-recording-onto-Zoom-H4n

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

thanks for the reply. I guess i should of given some info regard my usage. Ill be shooting video mainly and will be doing short film and such. No interviews or anything like that. Do i still need to invest in something like the h4n if im gonna use an external mic? would the h1 work just aswell ?

Sorry, I forgot to ask, are you shooting on a DSLR camera or something with XLR inputs?
    I ask because if your camera does have XLR inputs you could use a boom/shotgun mic and record into camera. However this option is not strongly recommended as it means you will have to monitor audio levels on the camera's display which is tricky, especially if the camera has to move at all. You could fork out on a mixer for your sound guy, but that could prove costly.
    If you are shooting on a DSLR then a separate recording device and external mic is unfortunately a must if you want quality audio. The H1 has good built in mics (like the H4N), but once again you wont be able to get them close to your subjects which will make recording quality audio difficult and borderline impossible if you plan on using any particularly wide shots.

Either way I would recommend getting an external mic and a recording device (like the ones in my previous post) as it gives you the best value / audio quality - bang for your buck.

Just as an example, I work as a sound recordist and this is the equipment I have:
    http://soundmarkey.webs.com/equipment.htm
    Generally I will only bring one of the H4N or the 302, depending on what we're shooting on / what sort of shoot it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

Yeah ill be using a DSLR. So no XLR inputs. I think we are gonna get the H4n and a shotgun mic like the one you mentioned. Should give us good quality audio. Thanks for your help

Like I mentioned before (the filmmakersnetwork.ie link) be sure to sort out that glitch. Its dead easy once you know what you're doing and will save you much hassle.
    Any more questions/queries let me know and I'll do what I can to help

• Advertisement
Advertisement