Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The solo traveller..

Options
  • 10-10-2011 7:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭

Well I've been travelling around Asia, South America and Aus/NZ for the best part of 2 years now with my partner and 4 of our friends from home. It's been an amazing experience-we're(partner & I) now living in Sydney and have been talking lately about the kind of people we met during our trip... loads of groups, plenty of couples and a few "solo travellers(or STs as we call them)".

Have found ourselves keeping in touch with pretty much every group and couple we met but not the STs. Generally these STs are actually quite hard work to get on with. We found that since they were travelling on their own they really craved attention, wanted to be in the centre of every discussion, talked non-stop about all the cool people they had met, how they had travelled off the beaten track(yawn) and how they loved travelling alone as it gave them so much freedom to do what they wanted.

It's great having the freedom to do what you want-but I find it quite odd that there isn't one person out there who these STs get on well enough with that they can agree on where they want to travel to and what they want to see together! And of all the cool people they met in that mountain shack overlooking the most stunning waterfall in Costa Rica non of them seemed to want to travel any further with eachother. During our travels our group continued to grow in numbers from like minded individuals and others we met along the way who were heading the same direction as us.

We stayed on a few volunteer farmstays in WA, SA and NSW where they majority of owners have also found the STs to be tough to get on with. A common theme was that as the STs were on their own they needed to be entertained. This actually lead to one ST being asked to leave a farm we were on as they were unable to relax and function as part of a larger group.

Anywho, we'd like to thank all the cool people we have met along the way-I know some of them read boards-for making our trip what it was. It's been epic!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

melb wrote: »
    Well I've been travelling around Asia, South America and Aus/NZ for the best part of 2 years now with my partner and 4 of our friends from home. It's been an amazing experience-we're(partner & I) now living in Sydney and have been talking lately about the kind of people we met during our trip... loads of groups, plenty of couples and a few "solo travellers(or STs as we call them)".

Have found ourselves keeping in touch with pretty much every group and couple we met but not the STs. Generally these STs are actually quite hard work to get on with. We found that since they were travelling on their own they really craved attention, wanted to be in the centre of every discussion, talked non-stop about all the cool people they had met, how they had travelled off the beaten track(yawn) and how they loved travelling alone as it gave them so much freedom to do what they wanted.

It's great having the freedom to do what you want-but I find it quite odd that there isn't one person out there who these STs get on well enough with that they can agree on where they want to travel to and what they want to see together! And of all the cool people they met in that mountain shack overlooking the most stunning waterfall in Costa Rica non of them seemed to want to travel any further with eachother. During our travels our group continued to grow in numbers from like minded individuals and others we met along the way who were heading the same direction as us.

We stayed on a few volunteer farmstays in WA, SA and NSW where they majority of owners have also found the STs to be tough to get on with. A common theme was that as the STs were on their own they needed to be entertained. This actually lead to one ST being asked to leave a farm we were on as they were unable to relax and function as part of a larger group.

Anywho, we'd like to thank all the cool people we have met along the way-I know some of them read boards-for making our trip what it was. It's been epic!

I traveled on my own in 2008 for 8 months and I got on with everyone and made heaps of friends. I'm pretty sure they liked me too as they chose to stay in contact with me. Granted some 'ST's can be a bit clingy but I never came across many like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

I actually find the thread hard to believe. So on your extended travels you bumped into some people that you didn't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I find the OP a bit offensive. I don't see it as anything other than suggestion that normal people should give solo travelers a wide berth. I don't understand why there is a need for a thread that incites prejudice against solo travelers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Such a load of Bullsh1t. I've been away over a year now. Travelled South America, NZ, Australia all by myself and live in Oz, and have met so many great people, solo travellers (ST's :confused::rolleyes:), couples, and groups. I'd like to think that the people I met think the same about me. Certainly been in touch with many of them, and havent met very many people who I havent liked. Methinks the condescending arrogance you are showing is something that wouldn't be particularly popular in hostels around the world, and perhaps that's why you've found it so hard to get on with the dreaded "ST's". Have a look at your own faults before you slate others and make such ludicrous generalisations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 kevrr

What a funny/strange thread to start in the Aus/NZ forum! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Not a good enough reason :D:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I always found the large groups of 5-6 people hard to share with in hostels. They'd always come in and take over the place, use all the pots and pans and then never clean them, put on what they wanted in the TV room no matter what, and they always smelt bad and were ugly :p:p

:pac::pac:

This is a piss take thread isnt it?

Seriously though I never had any problems with people travelling by themselves. They seemed nice enough and were happy to do their own thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭melb

Its the constant demand for attention, the look at me actions of the STs that really stood out for us. One guy we met in particular was soo arrogant in his views and thoughts on where we were, where we were going and how he preferred to travel "off the beaten track...". The kind of guy who tells you Asia is sh!t, you'd be far better off in South America just because a lot of people travel to Asia! Then there was a Dub who spent our entire stay in a hostel in BA clinging to anyone who would listen to him ramble on about a certain sport and how under appreciated it was in Ireland. I mean-COME ON!

There is no attempts to incite prejudice, ra, ra in my post(s). If you feel there is then it is coming entirely from your side and not from the wording or spirit of my post. We have met loads of excellent people. But its the weird ones who stand out and they just happen to be STs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

A pathetic post.......u sound like a right snob.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

Its the constant demand for attention, the look at me actions of the STs that really stood out for us. One guy we met in particular was soo arrogant in his views and thoughts on where we were, where we were going and how he preferred to travel "off the beaten track...". The kind of guy who tells you Asia is sh!t, you'd be far better off in South America just because a lot of people travel to Asia! Then there was a Dub who spent our entire stay in a hostel in BA clinging to anyone who would listen to him ramble on about a certain sport and how under appreciated it was in Ireland. I mean-COME ON!

There is no attempts to incite prejudice, ra, ra in my post(s). If you feel there is then it is coming entirely from your side and not from the wording or spirit of my post. We have met loads of excellent people. But its the weird ones who stand out and they just happen to be STs.

Completely snobby. Of course these solo travelers want to make friends, they are on their own. Also, it can be true that they get to see better places that are off the beaten track, since they have the freedom to make their own choices by themselves and therefore get to do what they want.. no one is holding them back.

:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

only ever travelled on my own on a long haul trip once , it was to south america for less than ten days and i would not do it again , it requires too much effort to strike up a conversation with strangers each night and when on your own and that is perhaps why single travellers come across as trying too hard , friendships tend to be for one night only , its a lonely way to see the world and not one i would recomend personally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Thought I would borrow a recent quote by a prominant poster on the A/R/T forum as is very apt in this case.

The key to a good troll, in my opinion, is it may take the victims about 150 posts in the thread before they realise it's a troll. Reading the subject alone sent the troll alarms off on this one. It reminds me of a recreational troll, trying their best but ultimately going nowhere until they join a proper troll club.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod Guys attack the post not the poster - i.e. If you want to give your opinion of why OP is a snob/troll - then please give valid reasons. I'm failing to see the real point of this thread, except to provoke a reaction.

e.g. OP you said you travelled with 6 people. Have you any idea how hard it is to crack a large group of travellers? - Pretty hard, I've done it and as Irish_bob says, You can feel like you are at a wedding with strangers, the exact same questions the exact same answers. They all know each other and usually I wouldn't bother, unless in a social setting

Also I am on the opposite side, as a past ST I found it easier to mix with other ST's or travelling friends as opposed to couples. Also as a ST I made a few friends and I then travelled as a 'group' - But then you said groups are fine - So I am confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭melb

I'm not attacking the STs and their travel habits-some current/former STs seem to be a little sensitive. Just offering an opinion on the people that we met during our travels.

As irish_bob said being an ST is not something that he would recommend, too much effort, comes across badly and all that. But if the ST isn't able to travel as part of a group, share opinions without forcing them on people and be comfortable in their own skin then it is probably best that they travel alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

Some people find couples that travel together unpleasant too. There is nothing wrong with either. As travellers you gravitate towards those that you feel most comfortable with. If you go on a tour you can hardly expect to enjoy the company of everyone on tour. Such is life.

I travelled solo for a few months and consider it to have been a life enhancing experience. But by that time I had been travelling for 14 months with a small group and I was ready for some time by myself to do what I wanted.

But if the ST isn't able to travel as part of a group, share opinions without forcing them on people and be comfortable in their own skin then it is probably best that they travel alone.

Sure you can say that about anyone not just ST's
    I'm not attacking the STs and their travel habits
    Generally these STs are actually quite hard work to get on with. We found that since they were travelling on their own they really craved attention, wanted to be in the centre of every discussion, talked non-stop about all the cool people they had met, how they had travelled off the beaten track(yawn) and how they loved travelling alone as it gave them so much freedom to do what they wanted.

You are attacking ST's ... You cannot insult people, then say they are a little sensitive
    some current/former STs seem to be a little sensitive. Just offering an opinion on the people that we met during our travels.

If you can't handle the criticism, then why did you open the thread?

And you are right, it is your opinion, and other opinions clearly differ.

Mod Closing thread, I can see nothing but trouble ahead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement