Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Needed?

Options
  • 10-10-2011 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Basically I'm looking for a bit of help....

Were putting new floors in downstairs and I wanted to lay provisions for a surround setup.

So was planning on spending about 400 or so on a home theatre setup, I dont have the spare cash to get this week before the floors go down.

I was chatting to one of the lads in Harvey Normans as I grabbed a 50m reel of monster speaker cable, he was saying that normail lower end setups have different fittings and you'd be looking at a higher end setup.

So I'm thinking what way to do this. I have a 40inch samsung in the backroom for xbox and pc, and there will be something similar eventually going in the front. I just have an old sony 26 inch in the lounge at the moment.

So, I'm basically looking for advice on how to do this...

I've done a bit of research and seen that you can get 7.1 channel amps, but is it possible to get 2 different zones on them?

What would the best way to go with speakers?

There both pretty much box shaped rooms.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

By floor going down, what do you mean? Concrete or carpet?

If concrete just see if you can insert a load of trunking to all the corners so you can add whatever wiring you want at a later date.

After that, you'll have to prioritise your €400

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

Floors are wooden, so dont want to be having to mess around tacking and hiding wires once they've gone.

The outcome after yesterday was looking to a higher spec setup to have the whole of downstairs hooked up to the one amp.

So i was looking at some Jamo towers and satalites for the front room but was wondering what channels that would leave for the back.

Would a subwoofer also count as a channel? If so that would only leave 2 channells for the back?

Anxious to get started on this as, herself green lit the plan yesterday and dont want to hang around for her to change her mind! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Hifi Keith

Monster cables are generally way overpriced so hope you didn't pay too much for it. If wiring back to an av receiver (much preferrable to a home cinema blu-ray with integrated dolby imho) a 5.1 setup should be fine so wire to each corner and one centre speaker, your sub may take a phono input rather than speaker cables if powered

Advertisement