Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

humidity & expansion

Options
  • 10-10-2011 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭

has anyone else noticed a little bit of expansion in internal house doors this week? or is it my imagination?
    I noticed one or two of the doors catching whch have not done before?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

For sure, see here

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

I think it might be more than humidity. I had tiles left under stairs since we moved in 5 yr s ago. Took them away recently and I think it's had an effect on the semi solid flooring in hall. Seems to be a dip in one area and a bit of a bump near wooden door. I had noticed it being creaky underfoot since moving tiles. There is not much other furniture in the hall..,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

What is the flooring fixed to? It sounds as if there is some kind of a see sawing action - if there are creaks, something is not fixed properly - simple as.

slowburner wrote: »
    What is the flooring fixed to? It sounds as if there is some kind of a see sawing action - if there are creaks, something is not fixed properly - simple as.
    Just laid on concrete I think and glued ?

That doesn't sound right at all, there should definitely be an underlay between the concrete and the flooring.
    There are plenty of regulars here who would know a lot more than me about this particular issue so I'll let them give you the right advice - it won't be long before someone comes along to help you out.

• Advertisement

Sorry there was a kind of foam underlay. It has always been creaky. Never bothered me . But it's more noticeable now since I took the weight of the stored tiles away. As long as there is no danger of the floor lifting I'll live with it !

A piccy might stir up replies from the folks here who know more about flooring than I do ;)

A piccy might stir up replies from the folks here who know more about flooring than I do ;)
    Thanks but a pic won't be much good. Very hard to notice unless ya walk on it or lie down at floor level :)

km79 wrote: »
    Thanks but a pic won't be much good. Very hard to notice unless ya walk on it or lie down at floor level :)
    Doesn't sound as if it's too bad so. It could well just settle down by itself.

km79 wrote: »
    Doesn't sound as if it's too bad so. It could well just settle down by itself.
    And it did :)

• Advertisement

Well that's good news :)

Advertisement