Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options to stat again if you already have degree

Options
  • 10-10-2011 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I have looked all over the net about this and am not liking what I'm seeing but still it isn't clear to me.

I left college in 1996 with am honours degree. I have since done many other courses but none at a higher level than a degree.

Now with the lack of prospects (especially in the area I have degree and work experience in) I would like to go back to college to do a degree in something COMPLETELY different to what I did before a career change.

AFAIK I can only get funding if I do a higher level than degree but someone told me recently that if a certain amount of time has passed since you were last in college then it is possible to get funding - does anyone know if this is true?

I would like to avail of the Back to Education Allowance as next year both DSs will be in school and I don't want to sit around doing nothing I want to better myself and increase my chances of finding work whenever things do pick up.

Any advise? I'll be heartbroken if I can't do this as in 3 months time both DH and I will be unemployed (at the moment both part-time) I need a light at the end of the tunnel or I will crack up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭who what when

DesertMoon wrote: »
    AFAIK I can only get funding if I do a higher level than degree but someone told me recently that if a certain amount of time has passed since you were last in college then it is possible to get funding - does anyone know if this is true?

Im no expert on this area but i was under the impression that the course you intend to do has to be the same FETAC rating or higher than the qualification you already hold. So you can do another honours degree as far as i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Hey DM, I am in a similar situation to you. The only difference is, I am currently in a 1st year course in UL as a Mature Student. I have a Level 7 Ordinary Degree (From WIT), which i recieved in 2006 (5 years ago), and am now doing a Level 8 degree in something totally different, as employment was hard to find.

I have been approved Back to Education allowance, and my Local Authority has approved me of the €2000 Registration fees to be paid by the grant. But here's the catch, last week (which is halfway through the first smester) I get a phone call from the UL fees office saying that I am not elligible for the Free Fees because I have completed a degree course already, and I will have to pay like €7334 in fees per year, which I do not have and have no hope of getting. Now i am still waiting to hear back from them so I am currently in the middle of nowhere and if i have to fork out that much money, it will be bye bye college for me I'm afraid.

Like you, I was certain that if it is 5 years or more since your last time in eucation, you are entitled to free fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

Hey DM, I am in a similar situation to you. The only difference is, I am currently in a 1st year course in UL as a Mature Student. I have a Level 7 Ordinary Degree (From WIT), which i recieved in 2006 (5 years ago), and am now doing a Level 8 degree in something totally different, as employment was hard to find.

I have been approved Back to Education allowance, and my Local Authority has approved me of the €2000 Registration fees to be paid by the grant. But here's the catch, last week (which is halfway through the first smester) I get a phone call from the UL fees office saying that I am not elligible for the Free Fees because I have completed a degree course already, and I will have to pay like €7334 in fees per year, which I do not have and have no hope of getting. Now i am still waiting to hear back from them so I am currently in the middle of nowhere and if i have to fork out that much money, it will be bye bye college for me I'm afraid.

Like you, I was certain that if it is 5 years or more since your last time in eucation, you are entitled to free fees.

The five years only counts if you drop out without a qualification.But they kinda changed the wording on the finance act since last year so it's not as clear cut if you drop out.

You wouldn't have to pay fees if you continued with your level 7 subject to level 8. Because the free fees only counts if you use the ladder system.

If you got the grant would they not cover some of the fees? Did you contact the council? but in saying that if you weren't entitle to free fees the council might question your entitlement to grant assistance at all but then again you don't have anything to lose if you would drop out without assistance.

Advertisement