Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books looking for a good home

Options
  • 10-10-2011 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I'm hoping you guys might know...

I've just moved house and the collection of books is sitting in the shed (~16 boxes worth). It is unlikely that they will find a permanent home, so we have decided to get rid of all but a small collection, so there will be about 12/3 boxes of books looking for a good home. I would hate to dump them (although we did just get a new multifuel stove :D) and I doubt if any of the 2nd hand places would take them as they are mostly trade paperbacks (wife worked in a bookshop for a good many years). I'll get her to give me a general description, but I would think that they would mostly fall into the modern literature category.

Anyone have any suggestions as to where they could go ?

Thanks
    Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I'm hoping you guys might know...

I've just moved house and the collection of books is sitting in the shed (~16 boxes worth). It is unlikely that they will find a permanent home, so we have decided to get rid of all but a small collection, so there will be about 12/3 boxes of books looking for a good home. I would hate to dump them (although we did just get a new multifuel stove :D) and I doubt if any of the 2nd hand places would take them as they are mostly trade paperbacks (wife worked in a bookshop for a good many years). I'll get her to give me a general description, but I would think that they would mostly fall into the modern literature category.

Anyone have any suggestions as to where they could go ?

Thanks
    Paul

Where do you live Paul? Charity shops would probably be deilghted - Oxfam books mabye? I know the Central Library in the ILAc Centre takes in books (in decent nick) and gives them back out to people if Northside suits you better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

hooplah wrote: »
    Where do you live Paul? Charity shops would probably be deilghted - Oxfam books mabye? I know the Central Library in the ILAc Centre takes in books (in decent nick) and gives them back out to people if Northside suits you better.

I tried a few charity shops but they weren't really interested, at least not ina big volume...I'll try the library. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

Homeless shelters would welcome them. I've been donating books for the last while but it's closed down now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Charity and volunteer organisations that aren't charity shops could be worth a try as well, my mother works in a Rape Crisis Centre and I know they do book sales to raise money sometimes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Don't set fire to your books. Thats what Hitler did. You're not Hitler, are you?

Charity shops and voluntary organisations would be delighted to take them in. Its not uncommon for groups like the ICA, the RSPCA or Focus Ireland to take donations in this form as they tend to end up as part of specially organised book sales in fundraising efforts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Please don't burn them! I'd say an old people's home or a charity would be glad of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭30Min

Hey- You still looking to get rid of these ? :)

Advertisement