Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iMessage

Options
  • 10-10-2011 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

Just a post to alert people (like me) who may be confused when they start using iMessage, especially with the iPhone.

On the iPad, iPod touch etc, you get a standalone app, which effectively acts as a instant messenging app like skype etc, but I think will be alot less buggy and gives features like "Joe Bloggs is typing..." notifications. Very handy if younger people only have the iPod touch and you'd prefer if they didn't run up huge phone bills!

On the iPhone, the iMessage app is integrated into the "Messages" native app which handles your SMS Messages. If the person you are texting, has iOS 5 installed on his/her phone, it will say "iMessage" in light grey in the text entry field. If the person doesn't have iOS 5, it'll say "Text Message" in that field. A nice touch is: Green theme = SMS Text Message, Light blue = iMessage. Makes it easy to know if the message you are writing is costing you money!

Hope this saves a few "Where is iMessage" questions!

Edit: Whoops just saw a huge iOS 5 hints & tips thread, the above it probably in there. My bad!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Will an iMessage be charged as a SMS or will it just use your date allowance?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,564 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Will an iMessage be charged as a SMS or will it just use your date allowance?
    imessage will be data as it's using data and not using sms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Interesting article on the effect that this feature may have on US phone networks. The same would apply here.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/10/technology/paying-to-text-is-becoming-passe-companies-fret.html?_r=1&ref=technology

It confirms that iMessage is 'free' over Wi-Fi...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

Just a post to alert people (like me) who may be confused when they start using iMessage, especially with the iPhone.

On the iPad, iPod touch etc, you get a standalone app, which effectively acts as a instant messenging app like skype etc, but I think will be alot less buggy and gives features like "Joe Bloggs is typing..." notifications. Very handy if younger people only have the iPod touch and you'd prefer if they didn't run up huge phone bills!

On the iPhone, the iMessage app is integrated into the "Messages" native app which handles your SMS Messages. If the person you are texting, has iOS 5 installed on his/her phone, it will say "iMessage" in light grey in the text entry field. If the person doesn't have iOS 5, it'll say "Text Message" in that field. A nice touch is: Green theme = SMS Text Message, Light blue = iMessage. Makes it easy to know if the message you are writing is costing you money!

Hope this saves a few "Where is iMessage" questions!

Edit: Whoops just saw a huge iOS 5 hints & tips thread, the above it probably in there. My bad!

Can you choose not to use imessage? For example if I have a text bundle and not a data allowance or was near the limit of my data allowance?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Can you choose not to use imessage? For example if I have a text bundle and not a data allowance or was near the limit of my data allowance?

you could just turn off wifi/3g... not ideal but

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

lordgoat wrote: »
    you could just turn off wifi/3g... not ideal but

You can turn iMessage off from within the "messages" settings. Simple on/off switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭mailforkev

You can just turn it off in settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

cool. cheers guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement