Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting heifers back in calf

• 10-10-2011 10:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭

I just have a query. I have 13 heifers calving next march & i want to know has anyone used any successfull meathods in getting these back in calf quickly so they will calve down again in March the following year.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ddogsbollix

well they should nearly all come back in heat within a 6-8 week period remeber if they are calving in march they dont have to be bulled until late may early june. if not ya can synchronise them to come into heat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

sucklers or dairy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

And what are they in-calf to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

If they havent came bulling within 6 to 8 weeks after calfing give them a bulling injection, first time calfers are usually slow to come back in heat as a rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

I find dairy nuts at grass the job to get them back bulling and plenty of Pre calving licks and all trace boluses just in case

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

A copper bolus in March might help too, if they are suckling take the calves on/off twice a day might also help bring them in heat.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭Farmer Dan

Thanks for all the feed back.
    They are sucklers, incalf to a aberdeen angus.
    Ive been reading here that heifers slip about 6 weeks.
    This is my first time calving heifers so i dont want them calving mid april the following year. I know now i should have put these in calf earlier to fit in with the cows, too late now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I agree with much of the advice above.
    What age are the heifers calving down at?
    A 6 week slip sounds extreme to me, nutrition is vital in a heifer growing herself and rearing a calf, so feed them well.
    Some lads put a lot of faith in washing out cows that don't clean within a few hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Agree with all of the above. AA cows tend to be very fertile so it should be less of a problem. Worth putting a lot of effort into it alright. If they slip back at all, next to impossible to bring them back again. It might be worth the hassle of seperating cows from calves from 1 month old, to twice a day suckling. It will bring then forward by about 2 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭charityboy

If they havent came bulling within 6 to 8 weeks after calfing give them a bulling injection, first time calfers are usually slow to come back in heat as a rule.
    i could be wrong here but is it not pointless injecting heifers / cows if they have not come bulling at some stage previous to the injection :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭fatoftheland

for all cows and heifers dairy or beef the most common reason for a delay in getting them back in calf is they have a negitive energy balance so after calving a good quality beef or dairy nut will sort out the problem not above 16% protein as it will make them milk more which isnt a problem for dairy stock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

charityboy wrote: »
    i could be wrong here but is it not pointless injecting heifers / cows if they have not come bulling at some stage previous to the injection :confused:
    You are right, PRID works better for cows that are not cycling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

a good precalver mineral 6-8wks before calving to ensure they clean properly.

a rising plane of nutrition post calving to bulling (turned out to grass)

separating calves so only sucking twice a day can help them come back into heat quicker even if done for a couple of weeks will work.

Advertisement