Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New to PS3

• 10-10-2011 11:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

I've been an XBox360 gamer for many years (even though I bought both a PSX and PS2 on launch day) and recently, having suffered my third red light of death problems, and being pissed off with my 360 laser burning my discs I decided to purchase a PS3

Yesterday, I ordered it online and got a pretty good deal from a stockist, it's arriving today. I also picked up some games, second hand, to start playing when I get it.

I got Dead Rising 2, Metal Gear Solid 4, UEFA 2008 (it was very cheap) and Rachett and Clank: Quest for Booty or something like that

My question is, where do I go from here, should I do anything in particular when starting up the console for the first time or be aware of any of the games that might be available for free on the PSN. I do have a PSN account, but haven't used it since 2010, and only used it then for my PSP. I take it that I wouldn't be entitled to any free downloads? Are there any games people recommend that I must play if I'm new to PS3

Also, would any of my old PSN downloads from my old account still be active on the network after all this time (maybe six months to a year or more?). I know I downloaded FF7 and MGS for my PSP so will I still be able to find them on my account?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Where did you order it online?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

My question is, where do I go from here, should I do anything in particular when starting up the console for the first time

No.
    Even connecting to your network is easy - wired or wireless.
    or be aware of any of the games that might be available for free on the PSN. I do have a PSN account, but haven't used it since 2010, and only used it then for my PSP. I take it that I wouldn't be entitled to any free downloads?

Even though your account pre-dates the PSN hack, you are too late to avail of the "Welcome back" freebies.
    There are no free games on the PSN afaik.

Are there any games people recommend that I must play if I'm new to PS3

It really depends on what you're into.
    Demon's Souls(PS3 exclusive) and Dark Souls are by far and away the best games of this gen.
    Uncharted 3 is out early next month, but I recommend playing the two prequels first - should pick them up fairly cheaply now.

There are plenty of demos on the PSN you can try before you buy.

Also, would any of my old PSN downloads from my old account still be active on the network after all this time (maybe six months to a year or more?). I know I downloaded FF7 and MGS for my PSP so will I still be able to find them on my account?

They should still be in your account, available to download again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Dcu online it's going free this month.

After you start up and create a profile and sign in, when that's done you can either look for the game you got on the store or go on to account management and downloads. It'll show everything the account had ever gotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Check out the Essential PS3 Games thread. The first few should be fairly cheap now.

Uncharted and Uncharted 2 would be my recommendations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

In terms of exclusives I'd go for Infamous and Infamous 2 after Uncharted 1&2. Resistance 3 has been one of the biggest surprises of the year for me too. Really enjoyed the hell out of it.

Heavy Rain is worth playing just for something different.

In terms of PSN games I'd check out the Pixeljunk games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

What's that? New to ps3? Do yourself a favour and get both unchartered games. Uncharted 2 is without doubt the best single player game I have ever played ( pipping half life on the pc back in the day). Plus ul be fresh for the upcoming 3rd installment!

Agree with demon souls, superb game, grow your hair though, as a lot of it will be removed by your good self. Can't talk about dark souls as I havnt got it yet, will be though!

It's crazy season just comming now with some major tittles all coming out at the same time, but if you like your shooters, I've just been playing a very buggy battlefield 3 beta, and even with the unpolished glitch and bug haven, I found enough to preorder!

Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Irishmaster

Uncharted 2 and Heavy Rain are AMAZING! Killzone 3 is also pretty awesome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

It all depends on the type of games you want. I would go for the pre owned games first as there's a decent back catalogue of PS3 exclusives that you probably wouldn't have played and that would keep you going until christmas and beyond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Completely forgot about LittleBigPlanet too. Really charming platformer, if that's yer thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Based on the games you picked to be shipped with your PS3, I'd suggest you pick up Infamous. It's definitely one of the best Playstation exclusives. Demon's Souls has been mentioned, but I'd only recommend it if you are big into RPGs; it's not a pick-up-and-play type of game. Heavy Rain, Little Big Planet and Uncharted are all huge games with a massive fan base that are exclusive to the Playstation. All of them are well worth playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Games to play

Uncharted Series is a must
    Killzone aswell
    Little big planet 2
    Heavy Rain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Otacon wrote: »
    Check out the Essential PS3 Games thread. The first few should be fairly cheap now.

Uncharted and Uncharted 2 would be my recommendations.

sorry for being a pain, but where is this thread :o?

Just got a PS3 and have started off with LBP2 and Heavy rain... both are fantastic too. :)

Edit: found it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Danonino. wrote: »
    sorry for being a pain, but where is this thread :o?

Just got a PS3 and have started off with LBP2 and Heavy rain... both are fantastic too. :)

Edit: found it :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=62444220

For anyone else looking for it. Should have included it in my post.

Advertisement