Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for Disabled Drivers

• 10-10-2011 12:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I have a question for all you Disabled Drivers out there? How do you all manage to get your petrol? Do you do it yourselves, or do you rely on an able-bodied member of your family or a friend to help you? Does your petrol station employ a forecourt attendant?

My Father is the one who has always got my petrol for me whenever I need it, but he isn't getting any younger.......?

Am just throwing it out there.......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

I'm not disabled, but my other half has difficulties using the pumps following an arm injury some years back. She always manages to sweettalk somebody in the station into filling the car up for her without too much difficulty.

Under the Equal Status Acts, you are entitled to any reasonable accomodation that you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Forecourt attendants are few and far between these days unfortunately. If you want it put in by another person you've usually to clamber out anyway in order to ask, so I get out, chair out, whack it in, pay, try not to forget the damn receipt and leave.

Just make sure you leave yourself space between pumps and car for the chair. And brim it. Saves you repeating procedure every few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

My son is a disabled passenger so this does not effect me as he will never drive but what a neighbour does is go to the same garage all the time. She is known in the garage and somebody helps.(There is a repair garage attached to it)

Anyway i asked what she does over the christmas period knowing that this garage closes a lot. She fills 2 of the red drums and stores them in her boot. I dont know if this is legal but i cannot see why not. It can get her out of a difficult situation because then i(or a neighbour) pour it in for her when she gets home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Forecourt attendants are few and far between these days unfortunately. If you want it put in by another person you've usually to clamber out anyway in order to ask, so I get out, chair out, whack it in, pay, try not to forget the damn receipt and leave.

Just make sure you leave yourself space between pumps and car for the chair. And brim it. Saves you repeating procedure every few days.

What does that mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What does that mean?
    Fill it to the brim, ie top.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    Fill it to the brim, ie top.

LOL only after I typed the question it dawned on me what it meant!!:rolleyes::o

What about the weight of them?? Are they heavy/awkward to lift when pushing a chair at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭julias_jewel

I got into difficulty oneday and a guy spotted me and and filled it up for me.... one and only time :(

I got into difficulty oneday and a guy spotted me and and filled it up for me.... one and only time :(

I don't know if I'd be able to lift the pump and manouvere my chair at the same time without spilling stuff on myself......?

Manoeuvre yourself into a position side on to the pumps and car, open your tank, lift the pump, nozzle up, switch hands if you don't got the reach with one arm, whack it in and hit the trigger.

Trick is in having room for the chair, just, but not so much you have to move about.

Reverse the procedure when done. There really is nothing to it man. Changing a wheel, now that's a bit more challenging.

• Advertisement

Manoeuvre yourself into a position side on to the pumps and car, open your tank, lift the pump, nozzle up, switch hands if you don't got the reach with one arm, whack it in and hit the trigger.

Trick is in having room for the chair, just, but not so much you have to move about.

Reverse the procedure when done. There really is nothing to it man. Changing a wheel, now that's a bit more challenging.

:D

Will have to try that. My dad filled it up for me last night - he put €50 into it for me, and it's now almost full. Should do me for a while..........?

You'll have to do it Mickey, just to see how easy it is. Often these things make us wary, it's the fear of the unknown or unexperienced. Once you've done it you'll wonder wtf was I not doing this before for.

50 yos wouldn't last me that long but then I drive a bit. What you driving as a matter of interest?

We'll have to get you out on the Handcycle one of the days.

You'll have to do it Mickey, just to see how easy it is. Often these things make us wary, it's the fear of the unknown or unexperienced. Once you've done it you'll wonder wtf was I not doing this before for.

50 yos wouldn't last me that long but then I drive a bit. What you driving as a matter of interest?

We'll have to get you out on the Handcycle one of the days.

I'm driving a VW Golf TSI Automatic. F**king great car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ccanny

Hi

I have a question for all you Disabled Drivers out there? How do you all manage to get your petrol? Do you do it yourselves, or do you rely on an able-bodied member of your family or a friend to help you? Does your petrol station employ a forecourt attendant?

My Father is the one who has always got my petrol for me whenever I need it, but he isn't getting any younger.......?

Am just throwing it out there.......
    I am a disabled driver and i fill it myself. there is nothing to it just take your time and i am sure if your having difficulty doing it, people will help

Hi

OP here. I tried to fill the petrol tank myself for the first time last night. However, I didn't manage it.

I made one major error: I parked the car too close to the pumps, thus leaving myself bugger all room to manouvere the chair around. One of the stations attendants/staff came out and filled it for me.

I'll know next time what to do.

Advertisement