Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

backing up drive to a shared folder

Options
  • 10-10-2011 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

hi

i have a wired network with 3 pcs and an xbox connected to a eircom dsl router

all the pcs logon automatically as administrator

one of the pcs has shared folders which can be accessed from other pcs and xbox-there is no password for shared folders and files can be changed/deleted etc.

i'm having trouble creating disk image files in the shared folder across the network

i've tried a couple of boot cds like clonezilla and redobackup which should work but i can't access the share from the other pcs

i can usually see the shared folders but it's requesting a username and password?

any help appreciated thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭swampgas

M cebee wrote: »
    hi

i have a wired network with 3 pcs and an xbox connected to a eircom dsl router

all the pcs logon automatically as administrator

one of the pcs has shared folders which can be accessed from other pcs and xbox-there is no password for shared folders and files can be changed/deleted etc.

i'm having trouble creating disk image files in the shared folder across the network

i've tried a couple of boot cds like clonezilla and redobackup which should work but i can't access the share from the other pcs

i can usually see the shared folders but it's requesting a username and password?

any help appreciated thanks

It's not that clear what you are doing here - are you booting the PC with the shared folder from some kind of boot CD?

Please specify exactly how you are creating the disk image files.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

hi

i'm booting 'the other' pc's with a boot cd and trying to create a backup image

on the pc with the shared folder

i've been unable to create the disk image backups as it's(clonezilla etc) looking for username/password

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭swampgas

M cebee wrote: »
    hi

i'm booting 'the other' pc's with a boot cd and trying to create a backup image

on the pc with the shared folder

i've been unable to create the disk image backups as it's(clonezilla etc) looking for username/password

What happens if you provide a username and password?

Or if you put in no username or no password?

As a temporary measure you could create a user with a password and share a folder out for that user ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

Its returning incorrect username password in both cases

il try your suggestions over the weekend and report back

Advertisement