Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

fertiliser bogey

• 10-10-2011 12:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

Lads

Can someone please explain to me what is the purpose of these? I understand they can carry a lift mounted spreader..... but why?

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/machinery/2588063

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I suppose its to spread the weight over as large an area as possible to reduce compaction. Seems a pricey way of doing it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Muckit wrote: »
    Lads

Can someone please explain to me what is the purpose of these? I understand they can carry a lift mounted spreader..... but why?

i supose a small tractor might not be able lift a big spreader but would be able to tow it perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

They convert a linkage mounted fert spreader into a trailed one.
    Increases the footprint/reduces the ground pressure of the whole outfit, or allows a smaller tractor use a bigger spreader.

Would do similar for a sprayer, I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

impressive level of overengineering in that one.

200x200x12 box is bloody heavy steel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

But with small wheels like that, would the ground pressure be significantly less?

would some of the load be transferred to the drawbar and rear wheels of the tractor?

You not alone have the weight of the spreader and fertiliser, but the weight of the bogey frame aswel! And all on small wheels! If wheels were like front wheels of a 4X4 tractor perhaps they would be a good idea

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

i got one made up for 700 yoyos its brill my little tractor can now bring 1.5 tons in one go no pressure on her , and i can have the speader on or off the tractor in less than a minute about 40 sec's and off i go.will put up a pic later.

leg wax wrote: »
    i got one made up for 700 yoyos its brill my little tractor can now bring 1.5 tons in one go no pressure on her , and i can have the speader on or off the tractor in less than a minute about 40 sec's and off i go.will put up a pic later.

Hi legwax

Please do ;) Have you two pto shafts or just one long one? What size of spreader and tractor you using?

Thanks

Hi legwax

Please do ;) Have you two pto shafts or just one long one? What size of spreader and tractor you using?

Thanks
    yes 2 pto shafts , a 1.5 ton bogballe, and a landini blizard 85 .axel from a mengela silage harvester,main shaft a part of an extension boom from a digger,so plenty of weight out front so i can load it without it on the tractor.best few euro i spent i a while,takeing it on and off the arms of a tractor some pain in the ass when you are topping and speading most days during that time of year.

the bogey.

[MOD]Set images to display in thread[/MOD]
    177492.JPG

177493.JPG

177494.JPG

177495.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

JohnBoy wrote: »
    impressive level of overengineering in that one.

200x200x12 box is bloody heavy steel.

fully agree could have been made a lot cheeper with similar results.

• Advertisement

leg wax wrote: »
    the bogey.

[MOD]Set images to display in thread[/MOD]
    177492.JPG

177493.JPG

177494.JPG

177495.JPG

nice job in fairness

Yes excellent job. No stone left unturned (lights and all!)

The hydraulic line is for the opening/closing Im presume, but what is the idea with the lever valve Legwax?

I suspect the shutter is operated by a small one-way hydraulic ram, and is opened by a spring when hydraulic pressure is released.
    I'd say the valve is to keep the system pressurised when it's off the tractor, so that fert doesn't just run out of it when it's left loaded parked in the yard.

just wondering, does the shaft from the bogey to the tractor have to be wide angle shaft for turning..another expensive item if so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Lads

hitching up to a drawbar takes a lot less time than squeezing in between a tractor and a regular spreader , i would imagine that is the thinking behind the idea , not everyone has a tractor especially for a spreader and with this machine , its much less time consuming and hassle free

ps , that guy on donedeal has his tae with the price hes asking , you would need to be getting the hopper and all for 2100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

just wondering, does the shaft from the bogey to the tractor have to be wide angle shaft for turning..another expensive item if so

excellent question cause those shafts are several hundred euro

irishh_bob wrote: »
    excellent question cause those shafts are several hundred euro

With a bit of careful planning, a single wide-angle shaft can be used on a few machines.
    I used one on the muck spreader, slurry tank, and topper.

They're certainly more expensive than a conventional shaft, but they're very useful.

If you could engineer to have a hydraulic drive running a gearbox from an old harvester to speed it up, it could work better than a shaft? And easier hook up, just two hydraulic lines... thoughts anyone?

inefficient in principle, but on the flipside, how much power does a fertiliser spreader actually draw?

mine is not and works fine.muckit as rovi said for the valve no flies on him:rolleyes:.i am thinking of getting it hot dipped so she will last longer.its one of those things that us farmers get after years of torment and after getting say why did i not get one sooner,anyone that handy with a welder and has a axel will make it up in a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

A fine spreader that is legwax :)

Only one problem with it.

you need to get yourself some blue and yellow paint to match the spreader :)

blue chassis and yellow wheels would look the job.

Bennet's in cork bring in a few of these from holland, like so

http://www.farmandplant.ie/Used-Farm-And-Plant-For-Sale-Ireland/Vicon%20Fertilizer%20Spreader%2015%20cwt/Cork/79149

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

I can see the merits with smaller tractors, need bigger tyres though and small bags can't be used.

With quick attack links and external lift controls, it is just as fast really, back in, lift, put on shaft and toplink = 25.6 seconds:cool: ;)

Jealous of your spreader Legwax!

JohnBoy wrote: »
    Only one problem with it.

you need to get yourself some paint to match the spreader :)

blue chassis and yellow wheels would look the job.

I wouldn't exactly call it a problem! Yes it might compliment the machine, but will it make it spread any better? :rolleyes:

It's a 'savage setup', can't be disputed :D

I can see the merits with smaller tractors, need bigger tyres though and small bags can't be used.

With quick attack links and external lift controls, it is just as fast really, back in, lift, put on shaft and toplink = 25.6 seconds:cool: ;)

Jealous of your spreader Legwax!
    yes would have gone for a a-frame quick attach but i have a mower that i use for topping as well as cutting hay and silage and was told the a-frame would not be great for a off set mower.

Advertisement