Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i want my money NOW!

Options
  • 10-10-2011 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Why do the admin not post grant cheques up as they receive them - I know they have my cheque sitting and waiting for me but can't collect till they post it on site. How do I know - all colleges receive cheques at the same time and for the past no. of years I have checked NUIM to see if mine is in - and every year without fail UCD do not post receipt on site when they get them- check and see if yours is in on http://fees.nuim.ie/maintenance_cheques.shtml

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

I should be getting a grant.. but like how do I know if they have it or not? and do i just go in and collect it when they do? im pretty confused about how it all happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Did you get a letter saying it was approved?

see my dad sent it to Meath VEC first.. but they sent us a letter saying they transferred it over to the Meath CC.. :S

Could take a while yet then, i didn't get approved in first year until just after christmas

ohh... yay.. :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭CG328

I should be getting a grant.. but like how do I know if they have it or not? and do i just go in and collect it when they do? im pretty confused about how it all happens!

Keep an eye on this page http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/maintenance_cheques.htm
    Theyl fill in the date your grant arrives and when its there, just go into the Tierney building with your student card and pick up your cheque

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

see my dad sent it to Meath VEC first.. but they sent us a letter saying they transferred it over to the Meath CC.. :S

Have you got the letter confirming that you are getting a grant? That has to be brought to the Student Desk to be passed on to Fees and Grants.

Just out of interest, when did the people waiting apply for their grant?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭BG2

amtaxi wrote: »
    Why do the admin not post grant cheques up as they receive them - I know they have my cheque sitting and waiting for me but can't collect till they post it on site. How do I know - all colleges receive cheques at the same time and for the past no. of years I have checked NUIM to see if mine is in - and every year without fail UCD do not post receipt on site when they get them- check and see if yours is in on http://fees.nuim.ie/maintenance_cheques.shtml

Your CC have actually confirmed that they have sent it out? Or just guesswork based on NUIM and CCs sending out to all at same time? Not sure latter is true but if you confirm that your CC have sent out to UCD, it's just a phone call to the CC, then this is potentially a major issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭BG2

So did someone complain? UCD just put up all the dates about 5 minutes ago. Some cheques were received as early as Sept 19th.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

I haven't even been contacted about my grant so like I'm completely lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

BG2 wrote: »
    So did someone complain? UCD just put up all the dates about 5 minutes ago. Some cheques were received as early as Sept 19th.

Where are you seeing that? It just shows the ones that will pay directly into bank account..

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭amtaxi

Yes they finally have the cheques available for collection! so far behind other colleges! And they sent an email (first time ever) confirming that its there waiting for me. Can finally pay a few bills :)

Where are you seeing that? It just shows the ones that will pay directly into bank account..
    http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/maintenance_cheques.htm
    Just updated it

BG2 wrote: »
    Your CC have actually confirmed that they have sent it out? Or just guesswork based on NUIM and CCs sending out to all at same time? Not sure latter is true but if you confirm that your CC have sent out to UCD, it's just a phone call to the CC, then this is potentially a major issue.
    Just to confirm my CC did confirm they sent it and as can be seen by the updated list now they received quite a few cheques before today - not fair to people who are waiting and need the money
    http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/maintenance_cheques.htm

I still can't see anything but the info about the ones being paid directly into bank accounts?? Can someone let me know if Wicklow CC (not VEC) is listed please. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Dannyg90

its nothing to do with ucd. ring your cc and if they say its been sent go in with your student card to the student desk and they'll hand it to you. Its not their fault if people haven't applied properly or a cc hasn't sent the cheque out

I still can't see anything but the info about the ones being paid directly into bank accounts?? Can someone let me know if Wicklow CC (not VEC) is listed please. Thanks

No Wicklow CC have not paid installment yet - :(

No Wicklow CC have not paid installment yet - :(

Thanks a mil. I think I would have fainted with shock if they had. They are generally last.

They are always last, i love the excitement scrolling down the list to see if its in

Chet T16 wrote: »
    They are always last, i love the excitement scrolling down the list to see if its in

it's a long scroll :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I didnt get my first one till january in first year, it was rather horrrible. But it did mean I got two grant cheques in the space of three weeks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

It's not your money.
    It's taxpayers money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

It's not your money.
    It's taxpayers money.

AH --->

;)

It's not your money.
    It's taxpayers money.

I paid tax in this country for over thirty years and am entitled to this money. I still work part-time and still pay tax! I hope to be in position to pay even more when I am finished my education. I also hope to be able to contribute more to society in my work. I hope that you're never in a position to need money from the tax you pay. But would you prefer people to improve their chances of sustainable employment or stay on the dole. And before you judge even more I have never been on the dole but sympathise with those who have worked all their life and are in the position where this is all they have. Life is not black and white and the grant system is there for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mumtoe&e

Hey Missus,
    Long time no talk - hope you are getting on well.
    I know the feeling, happens to me every year too :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mumtoe&e

It's not your money.
    It's taxpayers money.

Ah, there's always one.... *SIGH* :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

I paid tax in this country for over thirty years and am entitled to this money. I still work part-time and still pay tax! I hope to be in position to pay even more when I am finished my education. I also hope to be able to contribute more to society in my work. I hope that you're never in a position to need money from the tax you pay. But would you prefer people to improve their chances of sustainable employment or stay on the dole. And before you judge even more I have never been on the dole but sympathise with those who have worked all their life and are in the position where this is all they have. Life is not black and white and the grant system is there for a reason.

Most college students are between 18 and 22 and thus haven't contributed as much in tax as you have. Also, I'd say a sizable amount of students will emigrate after they graduate so when they start paying tax, they'll be paid to either the UK, USA, Australian or Canadian governments, not the Irish government. Besides, I was just reaffirming the fact that for those who haven't really contributed in tax up until now, it's taxpayers money.

Most college students are between 18 and 22 and thus haven't contributed as much in tax as you have. Also, I'd say a sizable amount of students will emigrate after they graduate so when they start paying tax, they'll be paid to either the UK, USA, Australian or Canadian governments, not the Irish government. Besides, I was just reaffirming the fact that for those who haven't really contributed in tax up until now, it's taxpayers money.

They may not have contributed very much but their parents probably have and in order to qualify for the grant their parents income needs to be very little. The fact that most people will probably have to emigrate is a reflection of the state of our country now. Hopefully the ones who emigrate do so out of choice and not as a last resort. Either way our society is organised in such a way that we support those who are unable to support themselves, I would rather see my tax past and future go towards supporting people in a positive way, if we support and encourage education as least, if our country cannot offer graduates jobs they can go elsewhere - without this we will be paying alot more tax to support alot more unemployed people.

When times are hard it is natural to look at where our tax goes and argue against the likes of the grant system, we are picking on those who are not responsible for the situation we are in - but we times are good we all go on our merry way and do not look at how our money is wasted. We ignore the corruption the has led to where we are now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

That argument is frankly ridiculous. What you want to walk on that footpath? That's a tax payers footpath, you're a scrounger student so no footpath for you. What you want to use the SUAS computers in Science? They were paid for with tax payers money, so sit down and read. Etc, etc, etc.

The basis of any society that uses public money is that it will be redistributed to others. People that get social welfare payments, that is their money. People that get local authority grants, that is their money as well.

Now if you want to split hairs and say that it is not their money until they have the money deposited into their account, do so by all means but it is just ridiculous. Why needlessly cause a row by posting such divisive ridiculous nonsense that is basically a matter of semantics? The cheque will have the OPs name on it. That seems like a pretty reasonably method of working out whether it is their money or not.

Also: "Most" people are not emigrating. A sizeable amount are, but lets not get carried away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Razedtothegroun

Not UCD I know but does the same collection service apply for ITs (LIT)? In previous years payment was made directly into my bank account. Everything seems to have changed now with payments being split into 3 lump sums as opposed to monthly.

Advertisement