Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i want my money NOW!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

That argument is frankly ridiculous. What you want to walk on that footpath? That's a tax payers footpath, you're a scrounger student so no footpath for you. What you want to use the SUAS computers in Science? They were paid for with tax payers money, so sit down and read. Etc, etc, etc.

The basis of any society that uses public money is that it will be redistributed to others. People that get social welfare payments, that is their money. People that get local authority grants, that is their money as well.

Now if you want to split hairs and say that it is not their money until they have the money deposited into their account, do so by all means but it is just ridiculous. Why needlessly cause a row by posting such divisive ridiculous nonsense that is basically a matter of semantics? The cheque will have the OPs name on it. That seems like a pretty reasonably method of working out whether it is their money or not.

Also: "Most" people are not emigrating. A sizeable amount are, but lets not get carried away.

Why so belligerent Parker?

I'm not saying that the money should or should not be invested. I haven't addressed my opinions in relation to the grant system or the adequate use of public funds in the student bar between lectures or in XXIs on a Friday nights. I haven't addressed any of this in this thread thus so far and I don't intend to either. I haven't judged anyone and I don't know why some posters think I have by what I've written on this thread up to now.

I'm just saying that with all technicalities considered, it is taxpayer's money that has been granted unto whoever by the government. I really don't understand what the issue is here, I mean that should be blatantly obvious. With all respect, I don't understand why there would be a "row" over this simple fact.

Anyway, this is all terribly off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

In case it escaped your attention, my post was an example of using the ridiculous to show how needless posts like yours are. I got annoyed because I'm fed up of people always having to needle when the grant system is mentioned. Discussing a potentially improved, fairer system? Perfectly fine. Posting needless, needling points about minor technicalities? Not necessary. Your post came across as saying "It is not your money OP. Be happy you get anything at all". Which is a brilliant example of showing zero tact.

The OP may desperately need that money. Some clown online going to the bother of telling them it is not their money is not necessary. You didn't mention it was a technicality (which it is not, the cheque has been issued, the OP is a registered student so it is no longer tax payers money as it is in effect gone. It may have originated from state funds, but the people in receipt of grants own that money)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

"It is not your money OP. Be happy you get anything at all"

Well that's not necessarily what I said but, now that you bring it up, that's more or less exactly what I think. The way the country is going, whoever gets any money from the state should be grateful.

Anyway, off topic, needs new thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭number_1

I still can't see anything but the info about the ones being paid directly into bank accounts?? Can someone let me know if Wicklow CC (not VEC) is listed please. Thanks

Don't expect anything until at least the end of October. The following is from http://www.wicklow.ie/apps/wicklowbeta/HEG/Overview.aspx :
    Update - October 2011

The 1st instalment of the Higher Education Grant maintenance cheques will be sent to colleges at the end of October, please check the notice board or with the student grants office in your college for availability.

Fees payments are made directly to the colleges once a relevant invoice is received from the college.

For your information, all applications are processed in strict date order. Incomplete applications cannot be processed, so please forward all relevant documents within 10 days of completing your online application. Original documents must be submitted with your application, copies are not sufficient and your application will not be processed

If you have already submitted your application please ensure that you have sent in all required documents as per the checklist from your application including the signed declaration form, your CAO acceptance and your final course acceptance (or FA1) form.

All renewal applications submitted before the closing date of July 1st have now been assessed. If you have not received any correspondence from us in relation to your grant please email us at heg@wicklowcoco.ie to check the status of your application.

Higher Education Grants will only be dealt with on Monday and Thursday mornings, from 9.30 a.m. to 12.30 p.m. Your co-operation is appreciated. Queries by email to heg@wicklowcoco.ie may be submitted at any time and will be responded to in a timely manner.

They operate a first come first served policy, so the first batch of cheques will be for those people who applied earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Posting needless, needling points about minor technicalities? Not necessary. Your post came across as saying "It is not your money OP. Be happy you get anything at all". Which is a brilliant example of showing zero tact.

I think the OP gave the thread a slightly unfortunate title. The opening post itself is entirely different, mind you!

Hell, I know I am grateful for having received free fees; I would expect those who are receive an allowance from the state to help them stay in third level to be more grateful still. Or, if not grateful, at least don't take the grant for granted. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Determined

Just incase, Wicklow grants are in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Determined wrote: »
    Just incase, Wicklow grants are in :)

Great thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 anie_bawny

Does anyone know when the kilkenny grants will be in. I rang the county council and they said they had posted my check on the first week of November, but still no sign from UCD??? What in God's name is involved in "processing" the check?

Advertisement