Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Conversion Prices 2011

Options
  • 10-10-2011 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Dont think there is an updated thread on this.

Living in a three bed semi ( Dub/Meath) and looking to get the attic converted as we have another on the way !! Talking to friends who are saying that the same builders prices are going from 25k to 12k because of the times !! Going to start ringing around this week but im looking for a ball point figure? ( hipped roof)

Looking for basic (no en suit) attic, with stairs, steel beams floating floor, 2 velux windows etc.

My friend has one with a landing in it, but we have space at the side of the house and will prob build on in years to come and increase attic space, so dont want to double up on the work/cost. My fiend also made his boxroom smaller to allow for a larger stair case ( knocked about 3 ft off the room). If anyone got quoted this year, please let me know.

Thanks

Wac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

one PM :(...cant compare prices with one PM......come on, dont be shy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 oraa

gaz wac,

I carried out a self-build attic conversion this time last year.

job included: steel, floating floor, regulation stairs and landing, insulation (lots!!), insulated plasterboard, t&g floor, dormer window & two velux, move and replace water tank, one radiator, sockets & downlighters, painting (attic and most of the house), carpet - NO en suit

The job cost just just under 15K - BUT my brother and I did all the plasterboard & insulation work and my brother in law did all the electrics. So you could add another 1 to 1.5K to that.

If you are going with a builder (in hindsight I would go this way), You could expect to pay between €15 - €20K depended on your specific house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

I live in Rush Co,Dublin and paid 14.5k for the conversion. This included steel beams and sign off by an engineer. Its a proper job with stairs and 3 velux window one of which is a fire escap window. Really good guy did from Clonee did it. Cracking job as well, he ran an ethernet cable for down to the router down stairs. Also cabled it all for speakers and hdmi cables.
    It would off been done at the start of 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Sorry, forgot to update this thread. Got a PM with a quote with included :

"structural steel beams fitted and your new floor would be suspended of that. stairs ,roof insulated, 2- mo4 roof windows,Plaster boarded to finish in skim coat,skirting, archatrave etc, electrics, KTC laminate flooring,Whats left for the owner is the painting and to carpet the stairs. Cost €10,500

Also got pictures from the poster but with wife expecting, thats as far as ive got with this project.

Cheers for replies

Wac

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Clementine2010

Our attic is quite big as our house is extended, but the new attic side has the steal beams and is nearly converted but need to break through to the other attic side, do stairs and velum windows.

One quote I got was 23K with 3 windows I think, just got another from a guy who has done everything in my house over the last few years, he's great, very happy with everything he does but he said he'll do it for 10K.

he said he's done a few including his own house and he's going to show my pictures but obviously a bit nervous at such a lot price and he's not strictly speaking an attic converter, he's a electrician and great handyman (although he's done every kind of job imaginable in this house knocking down walls, putting up walls, plastering, electrics. Don't need a bathroom up there. Do you think I'm mad considering him?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Our attic is quite big as our house is extended, but the new attic side has the steal beams and is nearly converted but need to break through to the other attic side, do stairs and velum windows.

One quote I got was 23K with 3 windows I think, just got another from a guy who has done everything in my house over the last few years, he's great, very happy with everything he does but he said he'll do it for 10K.

he said he's done a few including his own house and he's going to show my pictures but obviously a bit nervous at such a lot price and he's not strictly speaking an attic converter, he's a electrician and great handyman (although he's done every kind of job imaginable in this house knocking down walls, putting up walls, plastering, electrics. Don't need a bathroom up there. Do you think I'm mad considering him?
    if you are going to get a deal that seems too good to be true, why not get an arch to do a drawing and specification to ensure you get what you want. remember this work should comply with building regulations(think fire, structure, stairs and energy conservation etc). this is important for your fuel bills, comfort, safety and if you were every to sell the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 alencrn

Psygnosis wrote: »
    I live in Rush Co,Dublin and paid 14.5k for the conversion. This included steel beams and sign off by an engineer. Its a proper job with stairs and 3 velux window one of which is a fire escap window. Really good guy did from Clonee did it. Cracking job as well, he ran an ethernet cable for down to the router down stairs. Also cabled it all for speakers and hdmi cables.
    It would off been done at the start of 2011

i am moving in ongar , can you give me a detailes of company which provide service . thanks alen

• Registered Users Posts: 18 charlie3

Attic Conversion

for your average conversion it should cost no more than €10,500 and take no more than 10 days ,

RSJs , 2 velux roof window , stairs ,insulation ,plumbing moved {i.e. tank }+ 1 radiator, electrical work, 6 spots, tv point 2 sockets .plastered , 1 standard door , skirting and architrave etc ,

there is really not much to doing them,but just not the nicest of work :)
    well hope this helps good luck .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Just saw an add on Gumtree for a complete attic conversion for 7500 all in! Does not seem too bad !

LOFT CONVERSIONS FOR 7.5K
    NEW STAIRS
    2 ROOF LIGHTS
    ELECTRICS
    PLUMBING
    RSJ STEEL BEAMS
    PAINTED
    INSULATED

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

ronan45 wrote: »
    Just saw an add on Gumtree for a complete attic conversion for 7500 all in! Does not seem too bad !

LOFT CONVERSIONS FOR 7.5K
    NEW STAIRS
    2 ROOF LIGHTS
    ELECTRICS
    PLUMBING
    RSJ STEEL BEAMS
    PAINTED
    INSULATED

i wonder what's meant by 'all in'?

http://domestic.thenbs.com/samples/NBS_001_NBS_loft_conversion.pdf

i don't understand how such a quote can be given without along list of caveats.like 4 bed bungalow loft conversion? or 3 bed semi loft conversion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

What exactly are the RSJ's for? Are they to support the roof after the you have cut away the internal roof supports. Or are they for the floor to support the floor and contents of the new room? How many would normally be installed in your average 3 bed semi-d?

Just found this holy god there is some work in an attic conversion ! NO wonder it costs so much

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQumdJzWL44&feature=related

Advertisement