Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Give me your Stew recipes!

Options
  • 10-10-2011 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

I've a pound of stewing beef in the fridge and I want to make some nice stew with it.

Any ingredients can be sourced easily, carrots, onions, potatoes etc.

I like it thick.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,527 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Brown the beef in a casserole pot. Add chopped carrots, onions, celery, parsnip.
    Make up a couple of tablespoons of Bisto paste, add with water to cover meat/ veg. Add a couple of sprigs of parsley, thyme and bayleaf.
    Put in medium oven for at least 90 mins.

Easy peesy lemon squeezy. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

What about a spot of beef bourgignon? Beef cooked in red wine and stock. It's thick and delicious. I have a recipe for a simple version of it on my blog here. The original version can be found here.

Alternatively, just dredge the beef in flour, and brown it in butter in batches. Saute all the veggies you like in another dish. Combine the two and add seasonings of your choice, with a bit of tomato puree, beef stock and a dash of worcestershire sauce, and allow to simmer until the beef is tender. I tend to cook my spuds separately and stir them in at the end.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Alternatively, just dredge the beef in flour, and brown it in butter in batches. Saute all the veggies you like in another dish. Combine the two and add seasonings of your choice, with a bit of tomato puree, beef stock and a dash of worcestershire sauce, and allow to simmer until the beef is tender. I tend to cook my spuds separately and stir them in at the end.

Simple as that really. I like to throw a can of Guiness in instead of water, tasty.

Beef bourgonion is well worth the effort though, man alive it's tasty.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,455 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I have a shin of beef stew here which is pretty good, I think

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I tend to add paprika to the flour, and brown off the beef, then add onions, and let the tastes mix. Then I'll add the other veg, usually carrots, and other root veg, a tin of tomatoes, a hefty dollop of paprika, stock, and any water required to cover everything. I'll add potatoes then too, and let it simmer away.

Advertisement