Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

newcastle away

Options
  • 10-10-2011 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭

hi guys

tough away game against the toon army coming up .

we have a much better team than them but they are playign very well and are full of confidence

i think we should pack the midfield with steel and play

gomes

walker----king----kaboul
    ekotto

modric---parker---sandro----bale

vdv
    adebayour

then alternate vdv / defoe and lennon / modric etc for second half if we need to change it

a draw would be fine here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Anto12

Would ye not go for Friedel in goals ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Anto12 wrote: »
    Would ye not go for Friedel in goals ??

sorry - type

friedal in goals for sure - used to typing gomes all last season!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

mickman wrote: »

Crap record at james park.
    In saying that, i think we could beat them. They have started well but are due a defeat ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Crap record at james park.
    In saying that, i think we could beat them. They have started well but are due a defeat ;)

That's been my logic for the win too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

I hadn't realized just how bad our record was against them in St. James Park ...

2010/11 1-1
    2008/09 2-1 Newcastle win
    2007/08 3-1 Newcastle win
    2006/07 3-1 Newcastle win
    2005/06 3-1 Newcastle win
    2004/05 0-1 Spurs win
    2003/04 4-0 Newcastle win
    2002/03 2-1 Newcastle win

Having said all of that, their home record this season is w2, d1 while we're w2 l1 away from home. I'll go for a low scoring draw...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

hi guys

tough away game against the toon army coming up .

we have a much better team than them but they are playign very well and are full of confidence

i think we should pack the midfield with steel and play

gomes

walker----king----kaboul
    ekotto

modric---parker---sandro----bale

vdv
    adebayour

then alternate vdv / defoe and lennon / modric etc for second half if we need to change it

yeah agree with you there, that is the team he should go with (without the Gomes typo). I feel this will be a tough one but if we score first i reckon we could beat them. We always seem to go behind up there and struggle. Hoping Ledley plays again as this will obviously make a massive difference, and also having JD and lennon coming off the bench would add a bit of pace in the second half. COYS!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'd take a draw all day out of this. We have some handy enough games coming up so I'd be happy with keeping the unbeaten streak going. I think a good few of the teams going for 4th will drop points against Newcastle. They look very handy this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Didn’t realise it was going to be televised, usually an entertaining affair with flair for goals. I know our record isn’t particularly great there, but from what I can recall those games we lost, we didn’t actually play to badly. I remember a few where we dominated from the start, looking like a hammering was on the cards, hit the bar/post and ended up losing to a Martins blaster from 25yards, or some no name player scoring the goal of his life.

Haven’t really seen an awful lot of Newcastle this year, they’ve gotten off to a flier this season and I’ve always had a soft spot for them. I’d be pretty gutted if we didn’t come away with a win to be honest. I’ll be watching it with a Newcastle supporter, so bring on the beers and banter.

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Didn’t realise it was going to be televised.

?? what station ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

Hatch99 wrote: »
    ?? what station ?

Its on sky sports..

• Advertisement

Balfie wrote: »
    Its on sky sports..

:o thought it was a sat 3 pm game :o

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Howay the lads.

Massive test for us and arguably our first proper test this season. Should be an interesting game but I think you'll nick it 2-1 myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Is it not on Sky at 4:00 on Sunday? Just going by the tv guide?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

That_Guy wrote: »
    Howay the lads.

Massive test for us and arguably our first proper test this season. Should be an interesting game but I think you'll nick it 2-1 myself.

Two in form teams, anything could happen, though our record up there is awful. We should have a full squad to pick from and to be honest I don't see any reason not to play Parker and Modric in the middle, with Lennon/Krancjar and Bale on the wings.

I'm undecided about whether to start with Ade & Defoe or VDV, though I'd imagine Harry will start with Defoe. We're in pretty good shape if we can bring VDV on for 30 minutes towards the end if Defoe hasn't scored!

I'm going for 1 - 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I'll be really impressed with us if we can come away with a win given our record and NU's current form.

I think if we can stop a few our their key players from playing then we have every chance.

I think we need parker and sandro in the middel though...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Ade is only 50/50 fitness wise for this game according to Harry,SSN said this evening that VDV is also a doubt with a hamstring injury.We badly need these two for this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

I don't quite understand yet what the fuss is about with Newcastle. Just look at their previous fixtures, teams they really should have beaten. On top of that they got extremely lucky with the Wolves game. The only worrying thing for me is our record up at St. James' park. Aside from that they are a bottom of the half team who had a handy fixture list.

The Newcastle fans I know seem to rate themselves as Champions League contenders because they're unbeaten so far. Praying Spurs give them a football lesson Sunday, because they should be taken down a peg, worried that on our form up there we'll be lucky to get a draw. Bogey club.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

irishmover wrote: »
    The Newcastle fans I know seem to rate themselves as Champions League contenders because they're unbeaten so far.

These fans are in the minority. I assure you that the general consensus of most Newcastle fans is that we're in a false position of sorts given that we've really not come across any teams with top quality.

This is arguably our first major test but already we've seen a vast improvement in our results against teams we cocked up against last year.

If anybody is mentioning Champions League, then I'm sure it's only in jest. I don't know any Newcastle United fans who are genuinely believing that we can get Champions League.

Our record against Spurs at SJP is surprsingly remarkable and we've scored more goals against Spurs than any other side in the Premier League.

We've been putting decent performances together but we were ridiculously lucky against Wolves. No denying that.

Our performances against Villa and Blackburn were fantastic and if we can emulate that type of performance against Tottenham on Sunday, then I'll be very happy.

The Newcastle fans you know are either deluded or are being sarcastic... Hopefully the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭yidweiser

Best of Luck That Guy.
    This should be a cracker.
    I was there in the 03\04 season when Newcastle beat us 4-0!
    Two for Shearer and Robert.
    Any one remember Laurent cutting in from the left wing and shooting into our top right hand corner from 25 yards!
    A very bad day in the office for us but what a great trip.
    Recommend "Idles" in the shopping centre for a bit of pre match entertainment ;)
    Went to watch the Toon in March 2010 on a Stag and I think they won 6-1 against Barnsley!
    Missed two goals on the jacks! Carroll and Gutierrez (Spiderman) were class.
    I think we will win on Sunday though 2-1.
    COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

'Newcastle Champions League contenders' ffs.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Got a bad feeling about today always do when we play Newcastle after the 4-0. Hoping for a 2-1 win but wouldn't be confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Same team as v Arsenal with Livermore in for Defoe

Friedel;
    Walker, Kaboul, King, Assou-Ekotto;
    Modric, Livermore, Parker, Bale;
    Van der Vaart;
    Adebayor.

SUBS- Cudicini, Bassong, Rose, Giovani, Townsend, Defoe, Pavlyuchenko.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Same team as v Arsenal with Livermore in for Defoe

Friedel;
    Walker, Kaboul, King, Assou-Ekotto;
    Modric, Livermore, Parker, Bale;
    Van der Vaart;
    Adebayor.

Livermore:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Where is Sandro? He's hardly injured again?

THFC wrote: »

Injured playing for Brazil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

i think he is - livermore is a problem for me. dont think he is up to it

irishmover wrote: »
    Injured playing for Brazil.
    Withdrew from the Brazil squad after pulling his hamstring was 50/50 for this match so hopefully be back for next week.

Whoops yeh spot on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

i think he is - livermore is a problem for me. dont think he is up to it

i would have stuck vdv on the flank and brought luka in with parker and thrown defoe up top with adebayor, livermore is a liabilty like he was against united at OT.

Advertisement