Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing Wild Camping locations in Ireland

Options
  • 10-10-2011 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just bought a Motorhome and am new to Wild Camping and this forum. Would like to solicit your views on Wild Camping in Ireland.

I went to Dungarvan the weekend for one night and had a bad expierence. Picked out a spot using Google maps street view, looked perfect. Public toilets, good parking, good access, lovely beach etc...

However when I arrived there down a reasonably narrow 1 mile cul-de-sac there was a 2.1m height restriction barrier there (Google maps is about 2-3 yrs old) and this must have been put in after.

Had no room to turn so had a bit of reversing to do :mad:.

To this end I thought it would be great if we all shared locations for wild camping with details of access, parking, facalities etc... we could build up a nice little database fof locations.

Google maps has a great facility where you can record locations, with different icons to depict what ever you one, with comments, GPS locations and can be shared amoung a group. You can download these recorded locations to you SatNav.

Bearing in mind I would be prepaired to setup adn maintain etc.. My questions are as follows:

1) Is this a good idea ? or would sharing this info make matters worse (i.e. more height barriers being installed ?
    2) Would you be prepaired to share you favourite locations to all ?
    3) Would you be prepaired to share e-mail and basic info to get access to these locations ?

Any other comments welcome please !!!

Steelboots.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

steelboots wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just bought a Motorhome and am new to Wild Camping and this forum. Would like to solicit your views on Wild Camping in Ireland.

I went to Dungarvan the weekend for one night and had a bad expierence. Picked out a spot using Google maps street view, looked perfect. Public toilets, good parking, good access, lovely beach etc...

However when I arrived there down a reasonably narrow 1 mile cul-de-sac there was a 2.1m height restriction barrier there (Google maps is about 2-3 yrs old) and this must have been put in after.

Had no room to turn so had a bit of reversing to do :mad:.

To this end I thought it would be great if we all shared locations for wild camping with details of access, parking, facalities etc... we could build up a nice little database fof locations.

Google maps has a great facility where you can record locations, with different icons to depict what ever you one, with comments, GPS locations and can be shared amoung a group. You can download these recorded locations to you SatNav.

Bearing in mind I would be prepaired to setup adn maintain etc.. My questions are as follows:

1) Is this a good idea ? or would sharing this info make matters worse (i.e. more height barriers being installed ?
    2) Would you be prepaired to share you favourite locations to all ?
    3) Would you be prepaired to share e-mail and basic info to get access to these locations ?

Any other comments welcome please !!!

Steelboots.

On www.motorhomefacts.com they have a good map covering all of Europe with all sorts of camping from sites to wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭niloc1951

steelboots wrote: »
    ....................I went to Dungarvan the weekend for one night and had a bad expierence...............when I arrived there down a reasonably narrow 1 mile cul-de-sac there was a 2.1m height restriction barrier there ..................

See the pic below, it's where the Tourist Office in Dungarvan direct MH's to park overnight, it's got nice long bays (originally for coaches) and nod & wink approval from the Town Council, the area is called 'The Lookout'

BTW FWIW the subscription to MOTORHOMEFACTS is well worth the cost as at subscriber level the site has a huge amount of info on everything you could think of, including places here in Ireland where it is possible to park up overnight and by day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

• Registered Users Posts: 17 blokarter

The guys over on motorhomecraic.com are trying to do a.wildcamping list for.Ireland only. Might be worth having a look

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

We have a Camping Locations forum you can use for this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Gocman

looking for a remote camp in the slieve bloom mts 4 -5 guys going were are clean campers leave it as we found it we even clean up other campers rubbish need a river or stream some forest with plenty of dead wood gocman

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 Chimpo66

<snip> thats a big list covering Ireland all listed on a googlemap where u can zoom in right down to street view and inspect the POI's before you ever visit

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Glastonut

Or you could visit where Motorhomewild copies them from, the original source

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Deleted 14 posts by two representatives of rivaling websites having a spat at each other while advertising their sites.

Not here, Gentlemen.
    Any more post like this and you will be banned

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Motorhomers

peasant wrote: »
    Deleted 14 posts by two representatives of rivaling websites having a spat at each other while advertising their sites.

Not here, Gentlemen.
    Any more post like this and you will be banned

Well done but I must say it was quite amusing while it lasted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

You may as well publish a list for councils to put up barriers, and you'd get some tool showing up with his mates and a slab of beers leaving the place in a state and spoiling it for all of us.

I totally understand what you are saying as we have all seen evidence of this. Are you suggesting it is best to keep the wild camping spots to yourself rather than sharing them with others?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I totally understand what you are saying as we have all seen evidence of this. Are you suggesting it is best to keep the wild camping spots to yourself rather than sharing them with others?

Yes, keep it to yourself or share with people you trust either person or via PM
    once they will

a) respect the place.
    b) not show it to people likely to litter it or tell the whole world about.

Happends all the times in surfing, most surfers have secret spots that they surf with their mates and were found by doing some hard work. The locatios are kept quite and low key.

I once made the mistake of showing a firend a secret spot only to have him post it online. I'll never show him a spot again.

If somebody well known here asks for a good camping sport then I'd have no problems sending them a PM....

Yes. Much the same as ourselves then. Another reason for us not really using forums much.
    We usually travel with another couple so there is the safer feel too.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Tbh I think half the fun is finding them anyway. We found some beauty's over the years and would only share them with people I know will respect the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭nailer8

I love the idea of a wild camping database in theory but don't know how you could control it. Myself and a group of kitesurfers camp about 10 weekends a year in spots all over the coast, I have never had my van in a site. Would love to share my spots with like minded prople and learn new spots but more and more often we end up picking up 5+ black bags of other peoples rubbish before we even setup camp. Who thinks its a good idea to arrive in a pristine part of Kerry or mayo light a disposable BBQ then a fire then throw all your empty bottles & cans in the fire, leaving behind the whole mess.

Sorry but the risks of a public database outweigh the benefits.

Advertisement