Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Build Costs - Dublin/Wicklow

Options
  • 10-10-2011 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi there.... I am looking to build on a site near Bray and am being quoted around 1,650 per sqr meter ex VAT. While this is a full build, (including some site clearance, siteworks and drainage, structure and fit out) it seems to be qute a lot. Has anyone else been provided with p.sq.m costs that I can compare to ?..cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

merble wrote: »
    Hi there.... I am looking to build on a site near Bray and am being quoted around 1,650 per sqr meter ex VAT. While this is a full build, (including some site clearance, siteworks and drainage, structure and fit out) it seems to be qute a lot. Has anyone else been provided with p.sq.m costs that I can compare to ?..cheers

1. what level of drawings,details and spec have you given the builder?
    2. what is your arch telling you about the qoute
    3. what did the other quotes come in at? you hardly only got one quote?
    4. what level of BER/ or passive standard are you looking for?
    5. also what size is the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,128 ✭✭✭✭muffler

It is a bit OTT in my opinion

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I have done and am doing jobs all the time in south Dublin and north Wicklow (including Bray). Prices can range from E 1,050 / m.sq. + VAT to E 2,800 / m.sq. + VAT.

As BryanF alludes to above....the devil is in the detail!

There are so many factors involved that it would be difficult for anybody to comment whether E 1,650 / m.sq. + VAT is good, bad or average (for what you are doing).

• Registered Users Posts: 14 merble

BryanF wrote: »
    1. what level of drawings,details and spec have you given the builder?
    2. what is your arch telling you about the qoute
    3. what did the other quotes come in at? you hardly only got one quote?
    4. what level of BER/ or passive standard are you looking for?
    5. also what size is the house?

Apologies for late replies---and first off many thanks for getting back to me.

• The drawings are pre-planning but have all sizes and layouts in place.
    • Architect reckons it sounds about right but doesnt seem to be sure as theres a lot of uncertainty in the market at present.
    • The house is 180sqm/2,000 sqf.
    • We have had two quotes so far...both in or around same range. While we know that it is only really the post planning permission tender quote we can rely on, we wanted to see if we could afford this size house...our thinking was why plan for a hse that is X big and then find out your budget wont be enough after youve been thru the planning process. Hence the 2 quotes so far.
    • We arent pushing for high level of BER. Should we identify a target and use that to inform our quotes do you think ?
    Have you any advice on how you were able to keep the cost in line with budget before going for planning permission ? How do you ensure that your budget is enough BEFORE you get post planning tender quotes ? Any/all ideas welcome ! Cheers

1. Should we identify a target and use that to inform our quotes do you think ?
    2. Have you any advice on how you were able to keep the cost in line with budget before going for planning permission ?
    3. How do you ensure that your budget is enough BEFORE you get post planning tender quotes ? Any/all ideas welcome ! Cheers

1. if your watching the way energy prices are going, then i would be prioritising energy efficiency (the lesser mention benefit of this is user comfort)... the reason i mentioned BER and passive house standard is houses can now be built with minimum heating demands, and this leads on to how you might keep costs down
    2. reduce the size of your house:) i know this sounds silly but I've seen so many houses where people have over elaborate layouts and if the plans were just tweaked and the clients thought about how they actually live, a good 10-20% Floor area could be saved..
    3. keep it simple, shape/structural/materials/stairs/finishes etc.
    but maybe were missing something here: "1,650 per sqr meter ex VAT".. what's the site like? is this a sparling bungalow/ or split level? without seeing the plans and site its hard to really comment...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 merble

BryanF wrote: »

1. Should we identify a target and use that to inform our quotes do you think ?
    2. Have you any advice on how you were able to keep the cost in line with budget before going for planning permission ?
    3. How do you ensure that your budget is enough BEFORE you get post planning tender quotes ? Any/all ideas welcome ! Cheers

1. if your watching the way energy prices are going, then i would be prioritising energy efficiency (the lesser mention benefit of this is user comfort)... the reason i mentioned BER and passive house standard is houses can now be built with minimum heating demands, and this leads on to how you might keep costs down
    2. reduce the size of your house:) i know this sounds silly but I've seen so many houses where people have over elaborate layouts and if the plans were just tweaked and the clients thought about how they actually live, a good 10-20% Floor area could be saved..
    3. keep it simple, shape/structural/materials/stairs/finishes etc.
    but maybe were missing something here: "1,650 per sqr meter ex VAT".. what's the site like? is this a sparling bungalow/ or split level? without seeing the plans and site its hard to really comment...

Yes the site is split level as is a sloping site
    4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 1 living, kitchen cum dining room. No en suite
    It is an architecturally designed home in that we are going full service with a well known architect
    Flat roof design
    Standard block construction
    Approx 1900 sq feet
    Standard fit out - wiring plumbing fixtures n fittings. No high end cabling or stupidly expensive baths !

Not sure what else is relevant for now ? I'm beginning to think my questions a piece of string one !

Yes the site is split level as is a sloping site
    there you go.. the best thing you can do to to reduce the costs is admit that your actually a digger driver, who's brother is a concrete supplier who's wife is a shuttling carpenter:D... no seriously get a full design team eng and QS involved as they will be best placed to control the contractor on site.. the extra cost sounds like its the ground works...

Advertisement