Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screws for Solckets and Rocker switches

• 10-10-2011 2:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

Screws for Sockets and Rocker switches

had a new kitchen, put in, sparky wired new sockets and rocker switches,
    tiler arrived, tiled wall, tile only 6mm thick

however when i try to screw the Sockets and Rocker switches
    to the back box, the screws are not long enough, any idea where I could get longer screws , please

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

any wholesaler will have them, they come in 35/40/50/75 mm sizes, or you could get extension studs. personally id go in and buy the 75mm and cut them down with a snips to the size you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Thanks, Indie:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

+1 to indie. Just to add:

The screws are M3.5

I would suggest that you also buy an M3.5 tap. These are also available (about €3) in the wholesaler. With a screw that you have cut it is very easy to wreck the threads on the box ( which is very hard to replace). The tap will fix this for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

2011 wrote: »
    +1 to indie. Just to add:

The screws are M3.5

I would suggest that you also buy an M3.5 tap. These are also available (about €3) in the wholesaler. With a screw that you have cut it is very easy to wreck the threads on the box ( which is very hard to replace). The tap will fix this for you.

agree but a little tip for you
    cut the screw at a sharp angle (45 degrees or more)with a sharp pliers
    this will help the screw find the thread in the socket box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

be no harm to get hold of an electronic crimping tool, i use them all the time for getting a nice clean cut on the screws, theres a 3.5 mm hole the screw is turned in but it gives a perfect cut, saves the chance of the thread getting damaged

only about a fiver in mcquilians

• Advertisement
Advertisement