Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is a dog walker not a dog walker? - A warning to residents of Charlesland

Options
  • 10-10-2011 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Charlesland Wood - Sunday night at about 9.15pm, I had to leave the house for 10 minutes. Whilst getting into my car I noticed two people, a man in his 30s and a teenager (14 I’d say) who were apparently walking a jack Russell terrier.

What made them unusual was that they were walking very slowly until they noticed me. After they passed, I watched them from a distance as they slowly meandered their way through the estate. Every once in a while, they stopped outside a property before eventually moving on. I’d say the dog was bored out of it’s mind, its hard to tell as it was dark.

Eventually they made their way up to Charlesland Court, but from there I’m not sure where they went.

I could be wrong, but I would put money on the fact that they were casing properties in the estate. I was in touch with the Garda in Greystones and gave a description. They said they’d send a car to take a look. Not sure if they crossed paths.

For your own sake and the sake of your neighbours and friends, please let others know about these guys. I have a feeling they could be back before too long.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Plenty

Oh God no! you have me freaked out now. I arrived home and he asked me about my car, I was polite and responded about how great my car was to me. He seemed harmless, but that's probably the false sense of security they give.

I didn't judge the man, but as we were talking an unmarked cop car did stop and ask the man and his son who they were. The man gave me his name but I didn't give mine. he said he's lived in Charlesland court. When the garda asked him what number, he hestiated, which didn't sit right with me.

Anyway, cops moved on and he, the boy and the dog were on their way. Paranoia did get the better of me, so I checked my car after a while later and it was fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 inodeslixic

Hi Plenty, I did see them talking to you. I must admit, I was surprised as I thought you must have been acquaintances.

I’m sure there is nothing to worry about. They both individually said hello to me from the other side of the road as they passed me last night, even though I hadn’t let on that I had seen them.

Shortly after this they turned into the bushes at the end of the estate where the pedestrian access is. They took about 4 minutes to walk the length garden walls before emerging on the other side and walking back up towards the court.

No I didn't know him at all. I was barely out of my car when he said to me "they're great cars aren't they, the Yaris" and he proceeded to tell about his car being clocked when he bought it and freely told me about his brush with the law, then the cop car approached. I thought it was a coincidence then he gave a hesitant address. I usually remember faces but I'd never seen him before. He said he's lived in Charlesland Court for 6 years. I didn't think any more of it until the cops arrived.

Anyway, nothing happened after that, but I'd be more aware in future but not be rude either.

You seem to know a lot about their tracks, were you following them? :) that doesn't matter, I know you were just looking out and protecting your property.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

How do you know they weren't just walking their dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

How do you know they weren't just walking their dog?

I agree. If the cops pulled up next to me and asked for my address for no apparent reason, although happy to give it I would probably look hesitant while I was wondering why on earth they are asking me in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Terrible scream mongering thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

I'd be more worried about the guy following you while your walking your dog...

The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking how this person was completely comfortable about telling me about his car, his encounter with the law to tell a total stranger at random. Yes it was harmless and there was nothing rude about him and I wasn't rude to him. Maybe he was just looking for a conversation. The kid wasn't much of a talker from my first impression. Maybe it was a harmless act that people find strange. No harm was done so I accept this random conversation and learned that some people need to communicate for whatever reasons are going on in their mind or lives. Listen and don't judge. I did listen and didn't judge (my mind did get curious when the cops arrived, I'll admit that) but we all do that. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 inodeslixic

Ophiopogon wrote: »
    I'd be more worried about the guy following you while your walking your dog...
    Terrible scream mongering thread...

I take your point. I don't think I'd be too impressed getting stopped by the Gardai. Nor would I be all that happy to realise I was being watched from afar. Honestly, I don't make a habit of it.

In the seven years I've lived in Charlesland, I've seen hundreds of dog walkers pass my window, both day and night. In that time, I have never seen dog walkers walking deliberately slowly past each house at 9.15pm on a school night, only to pick up the pace when they realise they have company.

At one stage, as they paused for a breather outside a three bed facing three trout stream,a car pulled in to a driveway a few doors away, so, the dog walkers sat on the kerb. Perhaps the dog was tired. They stayed there until the driver had gone into their home and then moved off again in the direction of the Seabourne Appartments. They then took the detour mentioned earlier, whereby they walked between the boundry wall and the garden walls towards Superquinn, emerging roughly 4 minutes later at the other side.

Of course, they may be nothing more than aficionados of 21st century architecture and planning in the Charlesland area. If this is the case, no doubt they gorged themselves on some of the finest examples of the period, but failing this, I cant think of any reason for their behaviour.

I really enjoy living in this estate, and thankfully have never had any reason to think that my property was unsafe. I would never knowingly set out to scare monger. I'm merely relaying what I observed. So with this in mind, I hope I am wrong. And if I am wrong, I'll be the first to bow my night vision goggles in shame.

Hopefully it wasn't one of your driveways that I saw these guys pause in front of last night, but even if it was, what harm?... They were only walking their dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Your concerns are totally justifiable. The Garda do not randomly stop people in Charlesalnd asking their names. By your description, I know who that was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Your concerns are totally justifiable. The Garda do not randomly stop people in Charlesalnd asking their names. By your description, I know who that was.

It was hardly random, the op called the Garda and I presume they came by looking for dog walkers matching the description given.

The guards did say someone called them when asked they asked the man his name

Advertisement