Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question RE purchasing alcohol

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

You're talking crap troll.

If they were to do everything by the book then they would ask every 50/60 year old for an age card if they were buying drink. They'd also have to ask the persons behind them as they might be in a group

They don't do that because it's not common sense. That's the difference between a jobsworth and a normal person.
    You ever been to the states my friend? By the way I'm talking law!!! Like it or not it is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Anyway this is easily one of the most circular debates I've ever been in. So I'm outa here. Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

MyKeyG wrote: »
    Well I'm sorry but your actions there were just rude and discourteous to other shoppers all of who did nothing to antagonise or treat you unfairly. Like I said in a previous post I just left a case of beer behind and walked off, she simply moved it to one side and kept going. But to hold people up while she had to load €200 worth of groceries into the trolley and call a manager to void the scanned items up to that point is completely out of order.
    I wonder would you think the poster was dead right if it were you standing in the Q behind with your trolley full of groceries having been at work all day with a kid pulling at your leg while the till assistant has to load up all the posters goods and get someone to reverse the items scanned.
    Look I'd be the first one to say the law is a farce but it is the law. I'm sorry but to do that to people in a Q behind you who did nothing to you is rude.

Personally I buy my alcohol ONLY when I'm on my own. Never with someone underage.

Fair enough then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭OkayWhatever

Can I ask what Dunnes Stores it was??

A similar thing happened to me a while back..

Was in with with my 2 friends, one of which was buying 70cl bottle of vodka. We all walked up to the counter, chatting away and she got asked for id. She produced it, it was accepted and then id was requested from myself and my friend.

I was 18 at the time but the only id I had was my passport, which I don't carry around in my handbag!

She refused to serve my friend the vodka, and we got seriously ticked off and requested to speak to the manager.

We basically got laughed at by some woman, who was not the manager, but she identified herself as the manager which annoyed us a lot more.

We got refused, so we walked out and called Consumer Association ( being very stubborn teenagers :P ).

We got told that they have to serve my friend the vodka unless it is against the store policy stating that we all have to have id, which is to be clearly displayed and referred to when telling us that they can't serve her without all of us producing id.

We went back in and told them this and they gave in and sold us the vodka.

It was just a seriously unnecessary experience and completely ticked us off. Everytime we walk by it we have a laugh about it, but it was not fun at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

It was Dunnes in Jervis street shopping centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭OkayWhatever

Ah right, mine was in Stephens Green.!

They must all be as bad as each other :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Shelflife wrote: »
    I dont think that the poster was rude in the slighest, the only difference between you was the amount of product that ye were buying.

in that instance, thats just procedures gone mad, the buyer produced a valid ID and their friend produced an official ID which proved their age, they were not buying anything in the store, they dont need to have an approved id.

I find the supervisors reaction bizarre to say the least, we refuse to sell you this item because of our petty procedures but we expect you to give us the rest of your custom without a quibble.

if that is the procedure in that store then how would a parent with children of any age buy any alcohol.

jobsworths, you cant beat them.

Yep, I'm one of those jobs worths, If I serve drink to someone underage or someone with a fake ID, I'll get fired and a criminal conviction.
    I've only ever worked in retail, I wont get another job and I'd lose my house as I'm the only person working in my family.

It's the law, dont blame the companies enforcing it, blame the law makers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Its nor the law its an internal procedure, the law dicatates that the buyer produce vailid id . which she did , her friend also produced an id which proved her age--she would have to produce an age card as she wasnt buying alcohol.

Im not having a go at the front line staff, bit the manager should know better, in the above senario anyone with someone under the age of 18 or unable to show a garda id card would be unable to but alcohol.

Mother and child in a pram? same situation but common sense prevails and the mother is allowed to buy alcohol, family out shoping together with teenage children?

im well aware that you have to be careful, in this instance asertaining that the friend was over 18 should have been careful enough as there was no indication that they were buying it for their friend.

If you allow a mother and child to buy alcohol and dont allow the above to buy alcohol you are implying by default that the OP is about to engage in a crimianl activity. you cant say that they didnt have proper id if you dont get id from a maother and child---- extreme I know, but you cant have a bit of a procedure in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Sesudra

UrbanSea wrote: »
    It was Dunnes in Jervis street shopping centre.

Is there a Dunnes in Jervis? I thought there was only a Tesco and an M & S :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

I really dont understand what's wrong with a passport. The laws really need updating. I can't see retailers changing their procedures till the laws are reviewed.

I've been refused wine in tesco so many times over the years When I knew I'd get a bottle so I took my passport. Oddly sometimes they accept the passport on a whim. I just gave up buying anything alcoholic in tesco.

Pixie was not rude to other shoppers I feel. If this kind of thing happens to supermarkets a lot (walkouts) then they might review their policies or lobby to have the actual laws reviewed.

It's not a big deal really unless you drink often I'd say it grates on the nerves. But it's so bloody annoying anyway that such an important document as a passport is not considered valid ID!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Well I'm sorry but your actions there were just rude and discourteous to other shoppers all of who did nothing to antagonise or treat you unfairly. Like I said in a previous post I just left a case of beer behind and walked off, she simply moved it to one side and kept going. But to hold people up while she had to load €200 worth of groceries into the trolley and call a manager to void the scanned items up to that point is completely out of order.

I'd have to agree. Screams of cutting off your nose to spite your face, how long was spent gathering all the items in the supermarket, which you then had to drive somewhere else and get again? PLus what MrKeyG says about other customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

dearg lady wrote: »
    Screams of cutting off your nose to spite your face....

It was no skin off the OP's nose where she spent her money. The supermarket on the otherhand lost out on a €200+ sale because they didn't like the id of someone in her company. And the people in the queue wouldn't have been effected too badly. It would have taken less time to throw everything on the conveyor belt into to trolley than it would have to ring it all through and bag it up.

It was no skin off the OP's nose where she spent her money. The supermarket on the otherhand lost out on a €200+ sale because they didn't like the id of someone in her company. And the people in the queue wouldn't have been effected too badly. It would have taken less time to throw everything on the conveyor belt into to trolley than it would have to ring it all through and bag it up.

other than time she had taken to drive to the supermarket, walk around and pick everything up, and then queue up? I think it's a very petty thing to be complaining over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

I'd consider what she did to be making a stand

I'd have to agree. Screams of cutting off your nose to spite your face, how long was spent gathering all the items in the supermarket, which you then had to drive somewhere else and get again? PLus what MrKeyG says about other customers.

I'm confused by your post. If i was so bothered about trekking around the supermarket filling up my trolley then I could've just shrugged my shoulders and paid for everything with the exception of my bottle of booze. I wasn't that bothered, I was, however, bothered by the fact that the person was refusing to sell me alcohol because the ID provided by the person not buying the alcohol was insufficient in a store where there were no visible signs indicating the policy and also, the attitude of the "supervisor".

No skin off my nose at all. It's my choice where I spend my money.
    other than time she had taken to drive to the supermarket, walk around and pick everything up, and then queue up? I think it's a very petty thing to be complaining over.

If it's petty to refuse to purchase only a portion of my shopping in a store that has no visible signs indicating that if you don't have a national age card with you then anybody you enter the store with can't buy alcohol and then to be given out to by a manager for not purchasing my shopping, then I'm petty.

And to be honest it's my choice to spend all of that time trekking around and queueing up and it's my choice to then decide whether to purchase the goods or not, I don't see what that has to do with this discussion. If I walked around a shop and picked out goods of any nature and then changed my mind, that's my choice, that's the choice of everybody. In the same way that a customer picking up a bottle of wine isn't guaranteed to be sold the bottle of wine.
    Aishae wrote: »
    I'd consider what she did to be making a stand

Yeah, and sure why not?

I'm confused by your post. If i was so bothered about trekking around the supermarket filling up my trolley then I could've just shrugged my shoulders and paid for everything with the exception of my bottle of booze. I wasn't that bothered, I was, however, bothered by the fact that the person was refusing to sell me alcohol because the ID provided by the person not buying the alcohol was insufficient in a store where there were no visible signs indicating the policy and also, the attitude of the "supervisor".

I'm not sure how you're 'confused', seems like a really pointlss thing to do to me, but if you feel it was necessary then no biggie. Also, I thought the attitude of the supervisor was only an issue after you'd walked away? Perhaps I misunderstood.

No skin off my nose at all. It's my choice where I spend my money.

If it's petty to refuse to purchase only a portion of my shopping in a store that has no visible signs indicating that if you don't have a national age card with you then anybody you enter the store with can't buy alcohol and then to be given out to by a manager for not purchasing my shopping, then I'm petty.

And to be honest it's my choice to spend all of that time trekking around and queueing up and it's my choice to then decide whether to purchase the goods or not, I don't see what that has to do with this discussion. If I walked around a shop and picked out goods of any nature and then changed my mind, that's my choice, that's the choice of everybody. In the same way that a customer picking up a bottle of wine isn't guaranteed to be sold the bottle of wine.

Of course it's your choice, I never disputed that for a moment, I just think it's a pretty ridiculous one. If you have an issue with the laws of the country then complain to the right people. Complaining to the check out girl or the manager of a supermarket isn't going to change anything. I actually wish more people would make a stand for things they believe in, but it's pointless making a stand to people who have no power to change anything.

I'm not sure how you're 'confused', seems like a really pointlss thing to do to me, but if you feel it was necessary then no biggie. Also, I thought the attitude of the supervisor was only an issue after you'd walked away? Perhaps I misunderstood.

Of course it's your choice, I never disputed that for a moment, I just think it's a pretty ridiculous one. If you have an issue with the laws of the country then complain to the right people. Complaining to the check out girl or the manager of a supermarket isn't going to change anything. I actually wish more people would make a stand for things they believe in, but it's pointless making a stand to people who have no power to change anything.

No misunderstanding, the attitude of the supervisor was only an issue after I walked away from the till.

Where did I say I have an issue with the law? And where did I say I complained about it to the girl or the manager in the context of how ridiculous it is? My complaint is that they had no visible signs in the store indicating that this was their policy. Also, as far as I can gather (from this thread anyway), this is a choice made by each individual retailer and not actually a law, I'm referring only to the requirement for an people accompanying a person buying alcohol to show a valid national age card.

Where did I say I have an issue with the law? And where did I say I complained about it to the girl or the manager in the context of how ridiculous it is? My complaint is that they had no visible signs in the store indicating that this was their policy. Also, as far as I can gather (from this thread anyway), this is a choice made by each individual retailer and not actually a law, I'm referring only to the requirement for an people accompanying a person buying alcohol to show a valid national age card.

well from what I've read the law relates to the possibility of an individual purchasing it for someone underage, and it's not clearcut, so supermarkets are erring on the side of caution. I would imagine that you or I would do the same if there was a chance of a large fine or losing a job.
    Whether the law is reasonable is a seperate issue and as I said, there's no point complaining to people who can do nothing about it.

Tbh, I find it hard to believe that your main issue was the lack of a sign. Most customers don't even see signs in shops so I don't think this would have made much difference.

well from what I've read the law relates to the possibility of an individual purchasing it for someone underage, and it's not clearcut, so supermarkets are erring on the side of caution. I would imagine that you or I would do the same if there was a chance of a large fine or losing a job.
    Whether the law is reasonable is a seperate issue and as I said, there's no point complaining to people who can do nothing about it.

Tbh, I find it hard to believe that your main issue was the lack of a sign. Most customers don't even see signs in shops so I don't think this would have made much difference.

Fair enough, that's obviously the way you have perceived the situation.

There was no sign, I was not aware of their store policy. If there was a sign, I would've been aware of their store policy and no problem then. I have never seen a sign in any supermarket that says "If you are purchasing alcohol, you and all in your party must possess a valid national age card".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

So you got all in a strop over the principal of them not having a huge sign spelling out the policy for you?

• Advertisement

So you got all in a strop over the principal of them not having a huge sign spelling out the policy for you?

Well I wouldn't say all in a strop but yes, if a shop has a particular policy it is standard to have this policy on display for all customers to see.

Anyway, I was just giving an example of my own experience with this rule. End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Mister Dread

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Yep, I'm one of those jobs worths, If I serve drink to someone underage or someone with a fake ID, I'll get fired and a criminal conviction.
    I've only ever worked in retail, I wont get another job and I'd lose my house as I'm the only person working in my family.

It's the law, dont blame the companies enforcing it, blame the law makers.

The law is not to serve drink to underage persons so just don't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Ok so,
    Proof of Age

Production of a proof-of-age document will be demanded in all cases where the customer appears to be under the age of 21 years or otherwise where there there is a doubt about his or her age.

The Garda Age Card is the preferred proof-of-age document.
    Staff Training

Licence holders will ensure adequate training of staff members engaged in the sale of alcohol products and, in particular, that such staff members have an adequate knowledge and understanding of relevant areas of licensing law.
    Independent Audit

Compliance with this Code of Practice is subject to independent audit and verification on an annual basis. The Code will be up-dated from time to time.

http://www.rrai.ie/RRAI_Code_of_Practice/Default.88.html

My employment contract states that I must abide by the RRAI.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Personally I buy my alcohol ONLY when I'm on my own.
    Thats one of the weirdest statments/rules I have ever read! I doubt I will ever hear it said again.
    Aishae wrote: »
    I really dont understand what's wrong with a passport.
    I doubt any government wants to be seen to be encouraging citizens to be bringing around precious passports everywhere as a form of ID.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭mw3guc

"Production of a proof-of-age document will be demanded in all cases where the customer appears to be under the age of 21 years or otherwise where there there is a doubt about his or her age."

I fully understand that where 'the customer' appears to be underage that the retailer must ascertain that the correct proof of age is demanded. It's the fact that anyone accompanying the customer (or even having a conversation with them) is also required to produce POA which does not appear to be adequately covered by law - just open to interpretation by the retailer.
    I also understand that said retailer can sell or not sell to anyone based on their own criteria - I just feel that, like many have already said here here, whatever policy used should be clarified in advance. It's hugely embarrassing to be refused a sale at the checkout and it would be much easier for all concerned if such a policy was made clear. It's clear to me that the inference of wrongdoing (suspicion of supplying a minor) is definitely a source of humiliation and not conducive to good customer relations.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,565 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

In Tesco its 23 for being checked for ID and there are numerous signs in the Offie section. Ive boycotted Dunnes for a couple of decades (for other reasons) but in fairness I presume they also have signs up as leagally they should but nobody bothers to check.

As somebody said earlier the off-licence should be seperate from the rest of the store. I thought that was already law but they must have found a way around it.

The law is the law so dont be blaming the staff. Same thing happened years ago when young uns were buying fags but everyones used to it by now.

Finally FFS UrbanSea you are only in Dublin a couple of weeks and youve managed to start a 6 page semi-riot! Thank F...K we got rid of you from The Galway Forum :-P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

In Tesco its 23 for being checked for ID and there are numerous signs in the Offie section. Ive boycotted Dunnes for a couple of decades (for other reasons) but in fairness I presume they also have signs up as leagally they should but nobody bothers to check.

As somebody said earlier the off-licence should be seperate from the rest of the store. I thought that was already law but they must have found a way around it.

The law is the law so dont be blaming the staff. Same thing happened years ago when young uns were buying fags but everyones used to it by now.

Finally FFS UrbanSea you are only in Dublin a couple of weeks and youve managed to start a 6 page semi-riot! Thank F...K we got rid of you from The Galway Forum :-P

There was no sign saying that.
    I understand people saying you need to produce a garda ID for drink.
    They were happy enough to accept the (out of date so not valid) passport,but since I wasn't even a customer I shouldn't have to produce a garda ID,since it isn't covered under the law. If I was required to produce a valid ID,then I did. It was a valid id,seen as I wasn't purchasing alcohol.

Haha sandeman you just miss me.

Advertisement