Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Table quiz - Sober Lane?

Options
  • 10-10-2011 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭

Thinking of trying to find a good table quiz - something different to do for the winter! I noticed the last time I was in Sober Lane they had an ad for one on Tuesday nights. Anyone know what time that starts? Is it any good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Keep an eye on Sober Lane's FB page, they're very good with social networking and always update what's going on in the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Smart phones killed the table quiz imo , i would love to go to a quiz where they are strict on that stuff it would be nice for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Smart phones killed the table quiz imo , i would love to go to a quiz where they are strict on that stuff it would be nice for a change.

True! I have one but I don't want to use it. And as soon as one table spots someone using it, it's a free for all!

@Owen. Hmm, Facebook! I just had a look and don't see anything mentioned. Maybe it's not on anymore. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

True :( Although I did a table quiz league in Cavanagh's over the summer and they made tables put their phones in glasses on the table at the start. Totally worked. Nobody cheated and it was much fairer and fun. Should be common practice for all table quizzes these days (especially if you have to pay to enter) given the prevalence of smartphones, otherwise call it a "whocangooglethebestathon" rather than a quiz!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

True :( Although I did a table quiz league in Cavanagh's over the summer and they made tables put their phones in glasses on the table at the start. Totally worked. Nobody cheated and it was much fairer and fun. Should be common practice for all table quizzes these days (especially if you have to pay to enter) given the prevalence of smartphones, otherwise call it a "whocangooglethebestathon" rather than a quiz!!
    very cool post it here if you are doing this again i would defo be interested

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

i go to the sober lane one every week,

it starts 9.30ish, and yes people use their smartphones but then they put in an picture round to combat this! :D

it is free to enter, so it is just for a laugh! :)

hoodwinked wrote: »
    i go to the sober lane one every week,

it starts 9.30ish, and yes people use their smartphones but then they put in an picture round to combat this! :D

it is free to enter, so it is just for a laugh! :)

Thanks, I'll give it a go anyway!

OK, it was a laugh, but I'm on the search for another table quiz that's a bit more...structured :D We didn't use smartphones just to see how well we could score based on our own brain power!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Outkast is right. Mobiles with internet access have ruined the table quiz. I used to go to a lot of them in the past but now I hardly ever see them even being advertised.

The problem with pubs who organise a table quiz every week is that they're just an excuse to get people in there to drink. The prizes are usually rubbish and everyone uses their phones. It's a good idea to get people to put their phones in a glass beforehand but you'll always have some smartass who has two phones.

RIP to the great Table Quiz.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

See if the abbey are still running a quiz. Instant disqualification for phone use AND it's a bastard of a quiz. The guy who reads out the questions is terrible boring, but the quiz is a challenge if you're up for it/

• Advertisement

Tree wrote: »
    See if the abbey are still running a quiz. Instant disqualification for phone use AND it's a bastard of a quiz. The guy who reads out the questions is terrible boring, but the quiz is a challenge if you're up for it/

Is that the Abbey Tavern on College Rd? I like the phone angle, but if it's like University Challenge level I don't know if I'd cope. :D

Malari wrote: »
    Is that the Abbey Tavern on College Rd? I like the phone angle, but if it's like University Challenge level I don't know if I'd cope. :D

Don't overestimate the intelligence of the students. I used to go to table quizzes at the Crystal Bar and most of the students didn't have a clue. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

It'son the corner of college road arlight, but you wont find many students in it.

Don't overestimate the intelligence of the students. I used to go to table quizzes at the Crystal Bar and most of the students didn't have a clue. :D

No, I don't think the people on University Challenge represent your typical students :D If I know the answer to about 4 questions while I watch that show it's a good night ;) I was just hoping the quiz wouldn't be that difficult!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

If you get caught using a phone in the quiz we go to, you have to buy a round for the whole bar. In Zürich a pint will cost you at least €7.50.
    Not many people use phones!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

Just went to one in Long Island on Washington Street. It's on Wednesday, starts at nine, free entry, but this was a charity one so a donation to the charity was requested. No control on the phones I'm afraid so I'd say there was rampant cheating.

I'm sure I've heard of one question setter who, knowing that people would be looking up answers online, designed questions that couldn't be googled or of those that could, he edited the relevant wiki page on day of quiz so the cheaters would access his erroneous info and put it down as the answer! I'm afraid I don't know who or where though.

ncur wrote: »
    I'm sure I've heard of one question setter who, knowing that people would be looking up answers online, designed questions that couldn't be googled or of those that could, he edited the relevant wiki page on day of quiz so the cheaters would access his erroneous info and put it down as the answer! I'm afraid I don't know who or where though.

If I met that question setter I'd shake his hand and buy him a drink! :D

ncur wrote: »

That's dedication to the cause! I suppose he is interested in keeping a job.

Advertisement