Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what 3rd party programs do you use

Options
  • 10-10-2011 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭

Was doing a flight from Chicago to New York last night in a pmdg 747.Along the way i was thinking how many addons i was using to enhance fs from its default form.

pmdg 747
    activesky
    flight environment
    rc4
    mega-hub usa
    ut north America
    Ultimate Traffic

So what addons do you use to enhance your fs experience??

For the record i was using fs9

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭storker

drdeadlift wrote: »
    Was doing a flight from Chicago to New York last night in a pmdg 747.Along the way i was thinking how many addons i was using to enhance fs from its default form.

pmdg 747
    activesky
    flight environment
    rc4
    mega-hub usa
    ut north America
    Ultimate Traffic

So what addons do you use to enhance your fs experience??

For the record i was using fs9

Not including aircraft add-ons or scenery:

Real Environment X or Open Clouds
    FSINN or VAFINANCIALS
    Radar Contact 4 for IFR
    FsFailure
    FS Passengers X (sometimes)
    Plan-G for flight planning (or skyvector.com if flying in the US)
    Aerosoft Flight Calculator and/or MyE6B for iPhone

FS Panel Studio for tweaking

Scenery:
    Orbx regions: Pacific Northwest, North & Central Rockies, Pacific Fjords
    Orbx Airports: Orcas Island, Stark's Twin Oaks, Israel's Farm, Wa;ter Sutton's Private Strip, Darrington Municipal, Concrete Municipal, Vashon Municipal, Bowerman
    UTX: US, Alaska, Canada, Europe
    Aerosoft Tahiti X
    SceneryTech Landclass for Africa & Asia

Aircraft:
    Carenado: C152, C172, C182, Mooney M20J, Piper Archer II, Piper Saratoga, Piper Seneca, Beech Bonanza F33a, Beech Baron 58
    FSD: Piper Navajo, Piper Seneca, Piper Saratoga, P-38 Lightning
    MAAMSIM: DC-3
    Just Flight: DC-3, Mosquito, Piper Archer III, Piper Seneca, Beech Duchess
    Orbx: Lancair IV
    A2A: Piper Cub, Spitfire
    Aerosoft: Twotter, Beaver
    Digital Aviation: Piper Cheyenne
    RealAir: C172, ACA Scout/Decathlon/Citabria, Aermacchi SF260, Beech Duke, Turbine Duke
    Sibwings: Cessna Bird Dog, Saab Safir
    Flight Replicas: Super Cub
    PMDG: Beech 1900
    Friendly Panels: Beech King Air 350

Oh and a Wilco CRJ200 and an Extreme Prototypes Learjet package, but I fly jets very rarely.

A bit of an aircraft slut as you can see, and that's just the payware. My favourite freeware aircraft would be:
    Ant's Tiger Moth
    Bristol Beaufighter
    Dash-7
    Dassault Falcon 50
    Dragon Rapide
    DC-3 Airways DC-3

Stork

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

You had to ask stork eh? :P

Me:

Scenery:
    Orbx Aus
    Orbx NA (yes, all of it)
    CEN4 freeware airport (canada)
    bowerman
    A few of the orbx usa airports, I forget which.
    Ground environment X Alaska and Canada
    Ground environment X Europe
    Holger's freeware death valley, and aus mesh

'stuff':
    Shade
    Shockwave 3d lights
    activesky

Aircraft: (I'll stick to currently installed)
    Carenado Cessna 206
    Carenado Cessna 172
    Carenado Cessna 152
    Carenado Cessna 337 skymaster
    Carenado Cessna 185 and bush 185
    Carenado Beech Baron B58
    Real Air Duke, Piston. (Have turbine but uninstalled it)
    Cerasim Bell 212 twin huey.
    PMDG BAE Jetstream JS4100
    Aerosoft Beaver x (Disapoint)
    Aerosoft Twin Otter
    Wilco 737-300 thingy
    aerosoft airbus x
    A2A Accusim Piper Cub, and Accusim 377 stratocruiser
    Carenado Cessna 340
    Carenado Piper Senica
    Carenado Piper PA28
    Flight 1 Pilatus PC12
    CLS MD83 and 7

Deleted:
    Justflight dc3... its poo.
    Wilco airbus.... naff
    Flight 1 Cessna 441... aweful
    Digital Aviation Chayanne... meh
    And Anything by Nemeth Designs... avoid.

Freeware: um, lots, notably Manfred Jahn's DC3... quite possibly the best yet. and Paul White's Canadair CL215... Waterbomb winning :D

Seems like a lot, but its been aquired over time, As you may guess, I'm a crazy bush pilot :D Iz fun :D (I like scaring moose)

Firekitten wrote: »
    You had to ask stork eh? :P

:)

Long list, I know, I just started thinking about the add-ons I use, like the OP, and it just grew and grew...just goes to show I have way too much stuff. and I'm currently holding off buying any more - particularly aircraft.

I'm interested in why were you disappointed with the Beaver. I wasn't as happy with it as I was expecting, but I couldn't quite put my finger on why...apart from those stupid audible checklists - talk about a solution in search of a problem... I don't like the Just Flight DC-3 either. But I do love the Digital Aviation Cheyenne. Of course, I'm a big fan of the Navajo, which is a close relation.

I haven't come across Nemeth Designs before, but I'll watch out. I'll add my own warning about anything from Abacus or first Class Sims. In a word, it's sh1t. I'd be embarassed to release some of their stuff even as freeware. I don't know how they get away with charging money for it.

From payware that doesn't make freeware quality to freeware that could pass for payware...aircraft by Tim "Piglet" Conrad. I've downloaded his AN-32 and his Pilatus PC-6 and they're not half bad, and he has others.

Stork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Aerosoft -
    Austria Professional 2004
    Brussels 2007
    Budapest 2007
    Casablanca 2005
    German Airports 1,2,3
    Ibiza Formentera
    Islands of Malta
    Kos 2005
    Lisbon 2008
    Mallorca 2005
    Marseille 2005
    Mega airport,Frankfurt,London Heathrow,Madrid Barajas,Paris Charles de Gaulle,StockholmArlanda
    Real Germany 3
    Scenery Germany Bremen
    Spanish Airports 2+3
    Armi Project Suvarnabhumi Intl
    Blueprint Simulations
    Indianapolis International Airport
    Louisville intl
    Minneapolis-Saint Paul intl
    MontreAL intl
    Davor Puljevic
    Dubrovnik International
    ImagineSim
    Charlotte
    New York La Guardia
    Nassau
    San Juan
    Washington
    Overland - Tokyo Narita
    SimuDesign - Paris Le Bourget + Orly
    Simwings - Nice Cote d'Azur
    SwedFlight PRO All productions
    TropicalSim -
    Brazil Full Package
    Curacao
    Daytona Beach Intl
    Rio de Janeiro Galeao Intl
    DREAMFLEET 727
    Tin mouse 732
    cAPTAIN SIM 752/3+f
    PSS - A319/20/21/ A332/3-A340/2/3/5/6,B777 crap!
    Lds 767
    Aeroworx Beechcraft King Air 200
    Carenado Cessna C172N Skyhawk II
    Eaglesoft - Cessna Citation X
    PMDG 737-6/7/8/9
    PMDG MD-11
    PMDG 744
    PMDG Beechcraft 1900
    Flight1 - Flight Environment
    Aerosoft Classic liners all volumes-dc10/l1011/dc8 its crap!
    wILCO 733/4/5&777
    Dreamfactory Studio,Geneva Cointrin
    FlyTampa
    Dubai
    Kai Tak
    Miami
    San Fransisco
    FlyLogic
    Sion 2005
    France vfr
    Altitude Concorde
    rfp 742
    Ultimate terrain eu/usa/asia
    FSpax

There are a few other aircraft not worth mentioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Squawbox, Activesky, Eiresim scenery and PMDG 737 NGX :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

John_Mc wrote: »
    Squawbox, Activesky, Eiresim scenery and PMDG 737 NGX :)

What do you think of the ngx

Absolutely class. Sets a new standard which will be extremely hard to meet, let alone exceed.

I get pretty good performance, actually a lot better than I expected to be honest when you consider the quality of the visuals. No CTDs or panel freezes either.

Highly recommended.

Do NOT buy the NGX yet. Its still having massive bugs, and issues fixed with practically weekly hotfixes, and patches. It was released in a beta state, and has issues with many systems, and interactions with activesky, vatsim clients and other features. I want it, but I'm waiting for it to be actually 'finished' first.

Half of my VA have it, and they don't stop cursing it.

The beaver x.... the vc feels like playdough, its blurry, and the controls look horrid. The engine sounds, while they 'feel' meatier, are unrealistic. The default beaver actually has real sounds! (A beaver pilot told me that) The flight dynamics are also off too, but as the only one with wheels... I suck it up and use it sometimes. Working on a repaint project myself at the moment for it.

the cheyene, i like the idea of, but the actual ship i dislike, its... I dunno, hard to place a finger on it, but it looks odd from the outside, its a 9 port, and shows it.

Nemeth designs; gorgeous helicopter models, but unfortunately, they fly like grand theft auto helicopters... like toys.

Drdeadlift: thank god someone made me and stork look reserved! :D Though I didn't include the freeware stuff I use, theres a ton, but its mostly scenery, as i found better payware ships,

Do NOT buy the NGX yet. Its still having massive bugs, and issues fixed with practically weekly hotfixes, and patches. It was released in a beta state, and has issues with many systems, and interactions with activesky, vatsim clients and other features. I want it, but I'm waiting for it to be actually 'finished' first.

Half of my VA have it, and they don't stop cursing it.

So you don't have it, yet you can give an experience of it like you do? There's another thread on here about it, where a few of us on here have bought it and provided feedback on it. I think our experiences and opinions carry more weight than yours.

There have been 4 Hotfixes, and these were mainly to fix a problem that some people experienced where the panel would freeze. Most people didn't experience any problems at all. The Service Pack is due out any day now.

You make it sound like these updates are a bad thing. There isn't a piece of software in the world that is entirely bug free - look at the amount of regular updates your operating system downloads each week as an example.

I am a software developer myself and I'm astounded at how solid this piece of software is. The depth of systems simulation is incredible.

OP, At this stage there are plenty of reviews out there that describe it in detail. I'd read them before you take this posters comments which are based solely on hearsay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Nemeth designs; gorgeous helicopter models, but unfortunately, they fly like grand theft auto helicopters... like toys.

I believe that there are some modified FDE's available for some of the Nemeth Heli's on Hovercontrol.com.

The ultimate,by the book,helicopter available to FSX is the Dodosim B206

• Advertisement

So you don't have it, yet you can give an experience of it like you do? There's another thread on here about it, where a few of us on here have bought it and provided feedback on it. I think our experiences and opinions carry more weight than yours.

There have been 4 Hotfixes, and these were mainly to fix a problem that some people experienced where the panel would freeze. Most people didn't experience any problems at all. The Service Pack is due out any day now.

You make it sound like these updates are a bad thing. There isn't a piece of software in the world that is entirely bug free - look at the amount of regular updates your operating system downloads each week as an example.

I am a software developer myself and I'm astounded at how solid this piece of software is. The depth of systems simulation is incredible.

OP, At this stage there are plenty of reviews out there that describe it in detail. I'd read them before you take this posters comments which are based solely on hearsay.
    Nothing I've said is based on hearsay. Its based on the experiences of users. About 20 infact. Primary evidence? no, Secondary? yes. I never said it was my experience. However, I ask that you do not treat me like a rumour mongering eejit on the internet, spreading crap about something without evidence. From the experiences of many pilots within Canadian Xpress va, its had problems, and they have said if it was thier choice, they wouldn't have bought it yet. Yes, its got detailed simulations, most pmdg ships do. However, its had several rather big issues. Notably a response to activesky wind conditions creating massive problems with the flight handling.

Its not good enough yet, from what I've seen.

Nothing I've said is based on hearsay. Its based on the experiences of users. About 20 infact. Primary evidence? no, Secondary? yes. I never said it was my experience. However, I ask that you do not treat me like a rumour mongering eejit on the internet, spreading crap about something without evidence. From the experiences of many pilots within Canadian Xpress va, its had problems, and they have said if it was thier choice, they wouldn't have bought it yet. Yes, its got detailed simulations, most pmdg ships do. However, its had several rather big issues. Notably a response to activesky wind conditions creating massive problems with the flight handling.

Its not good enough yet, from what I've seen.

I'm not making you out to be an eejit at all but you're passing on opinions of a product that you do not own, and have not used. You're basing this on what you've been told by others. That is the definition of hearsay.

You say that there are 20 people on that VA of yours saying that they wish they hadn't bought it. I wonder what they're using instead of it? Definitely not the Ariane or iFly competitors if their standards are so high anyway.

It was in development for 3 years and in beta testing with 20-30 testers for 2-3 months. I find it hard to believe that 20 of your mates in that VA are experiencing such problems.

If you look at the PMDG forum, you'll see exactly what problems people are experiencing. People who aren't having problems won't be posting, and I'd imagine this is one of the best selling addons for FS so the number of customers would be very large (considering the relative size of the FS Addon market).

Can you name even one complex addon that did not require any updates or service packs? Even the LDS 767 had several updates and that was/is the benchmark that all sophisticated addons are compared against.

They've really pushed the bar with this addon in many ways. The night lighting in the VC is one of them, and it's incredible when you consider the restrictions that FS X imposes.

Anyway, that's all I'm going to say on the NGX. I'm not getting commission for sales, and that's the way it's beginning to look, but you can consider me one very happy customer :)

No, hearsay is rumour, when someone tells you directly of thier experience, that is evidence.

Your logic would make all reviews, of anything, hearsay and rumour.

As for the night lighting, I have seen that, and its good, similar to carenado's 337...

No, hearsay is rumour, when someone tells you directly of thier experience, that is evidence.

Your logic would make all reviews, of anything, hearsay and rumour.

As for the night lighting, I have seen that, and its good, similar to carenado's 337...

Not really. A reviewer will backup the opinions they express with examples and evidence.

You've haven't done this at all. You've just warned people not to buy it, and made a vague statement that it's buggy.

What exactly are your mates saying? The only issue being reported is an elusive bug where the panel freezes and won't respond.

Hot fix 4 was released in advance of the service pack to resolve it. That's good customer service, and from what I've read on the forums, it has fixed it for most people.

Not really. A reviewer will backup the opinions they express with examples and evidence.

General comment: I find the opinons of people who own a product to be far more valuable than those of reviewers.

Stork

storker wrote: »
    General comment: I find the opinons of people who own a product to be far more valuable than those of reviewers.

Stork

Absolutely, I completely agree and that's why I used the forums as a reference for the quality of the product rather than a particular reviewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

FSinn, Active Sky, PMDG 737 NGX, Eiresim scenery, VFR photographic scenery ireland, REX overdrive textures, lots and lots of updated afcads and Real Air Beech Duke.

Cant say I have had any issues with the PMDG 737 NGX. It runs perfectly on my pc which is far from top end at this stage. Its all I use lately when I get time for a flight. Its in a whole new league.

The Active Sky issue is actually a conflict between Active Sky and FSUIPC. There is a post with recommended settings on the PMDG support forum which sorts it out here.

bandit197 wrote: »
    Cant say I have had any issues with the PMDG 737 NGX. It runs perfectly on my pc which is far from top end at this stage.[/URL].

That's interesting - I would have assumed it to be a very demanding add-on. What are your PC specs?

Stork

That's interesting - I would have assumed it to be a very demanding add-on. What are your PC specs?

Stork

Intel Q6700 overclocked to 3.6GHz
    4GB DDR2
    ATI 4890 1GB
    Win 7 64bit

thats not top end, but its not FAR from top end! lol, you made out like you had an old p4!

As for the pmdg ngx business... issue mostly reported was an interferenace between the handling and active sky winds aloft creating adverse yaw disproportionate to the effect, and problems with electronic flight bag, and fs commander not seeing it as an aircraft.

Lets drop it, You're happy with it, cool, I've been warned by users of it, to not get it, because they felt it wasnt. I was simply passing that on.

Anyway, I barely give a toss about jet airliners. Boring crap. Thats not flying, thats flying a desk :P

• Advertisement

thats not top end, but its not FAR from top end! lol, you made out like you had an old p4!

Its about the minimum needed to run FSX at any sort of decent resolution so in my book its far from top end.
    As for the pmdg ngx business... issue mostly reported was an interferenace between the handling and active sky winds aloft creating adverse yaw disproportionate to the effect, and problems with electronic flight bag, and fs commander not seeing it as an aircraft.

Lets drop it, You're happy with it, cool, I've been warned by users of it, to not get it, because they felt it wasnt. I was simply passing that on.

Did you pass on the fix I posted for ActiveSky to your VA? Not sure about electronic flight bag because I don't use it but fs commander works fine for me, although I rarely use it because of the fully functioning FMC in the NGX. I was merely pointing out to anyone interested in getting it that it is not a beta release and works very well in my experience.
    Anyway, I barely give a toss about jet airliners. Boring crap. Thats not flying, thats flying a desk :P

Fair enough, each to their own.

Its about the minimum needed to run FSX at any sort of decent resolution so in my book its far from top end.

I'm even lower than you on the FSX hardware ladder...

Q6600 2.4 Mhz (not overclocked)
    4 MB RAM
    1 GB nVidia 8800
    Vista Ultimate 32-bit

I can usually count on at least 15 FPS in Orbx areas and frequently 20+, which tends to be smooth enough with FPS limiter running. 25-30 in non-Orbx scenery. That's at 1680 x 1050. It'll do for now until I can afford and justify an upgrade.

Stork

I'm even lower than you on the FSX hardware ladder...

Q6600 2.4 Mhz (not overclocked)
    4 MB RAM
    1 GB nVidia 8800
    Vista Ultimate 32-bit

I can usually count on at least 15 FPS in Orbx areas and frequently 20+, which tends to be smooth enough with FPS limiter running. 25-30 in non-Orbx scenery. That's at 1680 x 1050. It'll do for now until I can afford and justify an upgrade.

Stork

Not much difference in set-ups bar the overclock. That 8800 is a great card for FSX. You would see a good difference if you could get your hands on a copy of win7 64bit. Vista 32bit can only use 3.12GB of your RAM.

Back on topic, is anyone using Ezydok Camera?

Not much difference in set-ups bar the overclock. That 8800 is a great card for FSX. You would see a good difference if you could get your hands on a copy of win7 64bit. Vista 32bit can only use 3.12GB of your RAM.

Back on topic, is anyone using Ezydok Camera?

Yes, and I love it. Not only for the vibrations but for the view configurations, which I access via joystick buttons. In fact, apart from ATC and elevator trim, that's all I use joystick buttons for. It's so much second nature now that I completely forgot to mention it in my original list.

Where it comes in particularly handy is getting a square view of hard to get at parts of the cockpit. It also handy for looking over or around non-removable yokes.

Stork

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Crowman

Utilities
    Ezdock camera
    Track IR
    Flight tracker
    REX 2
    Ultimate Traffic 2
    FS Discover
    AES Lite
    Winchx
    Simmtracker
    CumulusX
    Air Hauler
    Cargo Pilot

Scenery
    Sion x
    Gibralter x
    Orbx PNW + various Orbx Airports
    Tongass Fjords
    Shawbury fields
    Horizon Cental England VFR
    Fscene 4x Total

Aircraft
    Realair Scout (Brilliant)
    Aerosoft Beaver X
    Aerosoft Twin Otter X
    L39 Albatross (Great)
    Aerosoft Lama X
    Justflight's Airbus A20
    Justflight's DC10
    Golden Age Sims Lockheed L12
    Calclassic's Super constellation (freeware and great)
    Aerosoft Discus X glider
    Aerosoft H36 Dimona X
    Carenado Cessna 185 Skywagon bush
    Carenado c337 Skymaster
    Razbam Corsair
    Razbam Intruder

Wow, it's not until you write it down you realise how much stuff you've got!

Crowman wrote: »
    Utilities
    Wow, it's not until you write it down you realise how much stuff you've got!

I'm starting to think that taking up golf would have been cheaper... ;)

(Not as much fun though!)

Stork

P.S. Your list reminded me that I forgot to put MyTrafficX off my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Okay, lets get back on topic.
    My add-ons are as follows,
    Aircraft
    PMDG
    • MD-11
    • B747-400X
    • 747-8i
    CaptainSim
    Wilco
    • 777:(
    Abacus
    • A380:o:(
    Just Flight
    • Airbus Long-Haul
    Level-D Simulations
    • B767

Scenery
    Aerosoft
    • London Heathrow
    • Frankfurt
    • Paris Charles de Gaulles
    • Manhatten X
    FlyTampa
    St. Marteen
    • Boston V.2
    • Tampa
    • Vienna
    UK2000
    • London Gatwick
    • London City Airport (on order)
    • Manchester
    • Birmingham
    Eiresim
    • Dublin Airport ;)
    • Cork Airport
    Armi Simulations
    • Bangkok Intl.(can't spell its original name)
    FlightBeams
    • San Francisco

Utilities
    • FlighSim CommanderX
    • REX v.2
    • Active Sky Evolution
    • AirHauler
    • FSPassengers
    • DBS Walk and Follow
    • Ultimate Traffic 2

I have many more add-ons which are downloads or on CDs that are not visibly seen to me at the moment.

Advertisement