Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cant aquire network address

Options
  • 10-10-2011 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

i was trying to remove a virus when my internet went down. spent an hour talking to my network provider and they said i needed a new nic card. installed the pci adapter and computer recognizes it and originally said it connected but browser would not work and when i tried to obtain ip address through command prompt it said no media was connected. now it wont even connect, it says its trying to aquire an address. os is windows xp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭swampgas

13whispers wrote: »
    i was trying to remove a virus when my internet went down. spent an hour talking to my network provider and they said i needed a new nic card. installed the pci adapter and computer recognizes it and originally said it connected but browser would not work and when i tried to obtain ip address through command prompt it said no media was connected. now it wont even connect, it says its trying to aquire an address. os is windows xp

"Mo media connected" means that the NIC card doesn't see itself connected to a switch or router. It might mean your cable is disconnected, or it might mean the cable is faulty, or it might mean that the NIC or whatever is at the other end of the cable is faulty. You have to fix this first.

First thing to do is make sure your cables are connected properly - there should be a light/LED that comes on when the cable is connected.

Next try a different cable.

I would not be surprised if there was no need to replace the NIC ... sounds a bit odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 13whispers

that was a slight error. no media message was for internet connection one. internet connection two is the one that says its aquiring network address. ipconfig says the ip address has been released. ipconfig/renew says theres a problem with the rsa server.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Reboot Internet Router, disconnect network cable and plug back in.

Disable the 1st Network Card too

Do an Ipconfig /all and post results.

windows ipconfig
    primary dns suffix:
    node type: unknown
    ip routing enabled: no
    wins proxy enabled: no

internet connection two
    description: 32 bit pci adapter
    physical address: 00 14 d1 1e 8f fe
    dhcp enabled: yes
    auto config enabled: yes
    ip: 0.0.0.0
    subnet 0.0.0.0
    default gateway:
    dhcp server: 0.0.0.0
    netbios over tcpip: disabled

Does "arp -a" show anything?

What is the make/model of the router, you should be able to guess the default IP address it is using. Then set a static IP on your PC in the same subnet and try pinging it. I would try setting the PC to 192.168.0.3 / 255.255.255.0 or 192.168.1.3 / 255.255.255.0 and then seeing if you can ping 192.168.0.1 / 192.168.0.254 or 192.168.1.1 / 192.168.1.254.

If it pings, maybe DHCP is disabled on the router? Then you need to log in through the web interface and configure it.

You haven't accidentally plugged the PC into the WAN port of the router, have you?

• Advertisement

there wasnt an arp-a that came up at all.

i dont have a router, just a modem. cisco dpc2100r2

there wasnt an arp-a that came up at all.

i dont have a router, just a modem. cisco dpc2100r2

The modem is the router in this case. There is a manual on-line (which you can't get at at home - I know) which describes the front panel indicators (page 22). Have a look at those and see if the lights on the front panel can tell you anything interesting:

http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/support/userguides2/4005527.pdf

The manual doesn't give the modem's IP address, but if this link can be believed it is in the 192.168.100.X range:

http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Cable-and-DSL/DPC2100R2-access-level/td-p/285375

it seemed to accept the ip address . it says its connected but still wont work with the browser so i ran repair on the connection and it says it cant clear the netb.

it seemed to accept the ip address . it says its connected but still wont work with the browser so i ran repair on the connection and it says it cant clear the netb.

So, I take it that the PC still doesn't get an IP automatically?

What do you mean exactly by "it seemed to accept the ip address"?

If you can get as far as pinging the Modem, the problem is likely to be with the ISP (or the modem itself).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You said you were busy removing a virus when your internet went down .. is it possible you messed something up software wise when doing this that's affected your PC, specifically the TCP/IP network stack side of things?

If you can borrow another PC, say a laptop, from someone else and connect that up, if that works it would rule out any problems with either the modem or your network card, and you'd probably be looking at a reinstall of Windows instead.

• Advertisement

no it wont pick up the ip address automatically. network connections says its connected but the browser says theres a connection error but wont tell me what it is.

when i tried to remove the virus, i originally tried a system restore but that didnt do anything. then i removed avg and installed avira. avira scanned the system and suggested i restart. in the process of restarting the pc froze and i shut it off from the back. thats when it all went to pieces.

at any rate, its not the modem, as the ps3 picks up the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Hmmm, sounds to me like something got screwed up software wise, possibly due to a combination of a failed attempt to remove a virus plus some disk corruption due to being powered off when it hung. Personally I'd go with saving all your personal data and doing a complete reinstall of Windows and see if that solves it. I'd also suspect that the NIC was never faulty to start with to be honest.

no it wont pick up the ip address automatically. network connections says its connected but the browser says theres a connection error but wont tell me what it is.

when i tried to remove the virus, i originally tried a system restore but that didnt do anything. then i removed avg and installed avira. avira scanned the system and suggested i restart. in the process of restarting the pc froze and i shut it off from the back. thats when it all went to pieces.

at any rate, its not the modem, as the ps3 picks up the net.

If the PS3 can get out on the net okay, the problem is likely to be that Windows is corrupt. One way to check is to burn a Linux Live CD and boot from that, if it can get out on the network your PC hardware is fine and you just need to reinstall Windows. If your system has had a virus, a clean re-install is a good idea anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Ryuken

Maybe your DHCP is disabled. In the internet properties make sure LAN is set to Automatically detect settings.

Advertisement