Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maghaberry-a nice place to live?

Options
  • 10-10-2011 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hello all,

Not sure if i have this thread in the right county as no one seems to know!
    Anyways am thinking of buying a house in Maghaberry in the new developments being built at the moment as we cant afford our first choice of Moira. I am very concerned about flags etc as I am a Dub and going out with a Nordy. I see from the latest census data, it is sided very much one way but I am aware this area has changed dramatically since the last census data was undertaken.

So just wondering from people who know the area do they think its safe, mixed, good place for kids etc?

Does anyone have any opinions one way or the other?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭paulgalway

snoopy29 wrote: »
    cant afford our first choice of Moira.

Did you look at Magheralin? Have a sister living there and she loves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭snoopy29

No, never looked there. other half said he didnt like it.
    kinda difficult when were mixed, would really love Moira but just too out of our price range. Saw fab house in Maghaberry and sister in law lives there im just a bit wary of the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭paulgalway

At least you will be close to the prison !:P

And it is only 1.6 miles from Moira

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Hello all,

Not sure if i have this thread in the right county as no one seems to know!
    Anyways am thinking of buying a house in Maghaberry in the new developments being built at the moment as we cant afford our first choice of Moira. I am very concerned about flags etc as I am a Dub and going out with a Nordy. I see from the latest census data, it is sided very much one way but I am aware this area has changed dramatically since the last census data was undertaken.

So just wondering from people who know the area do they think its safe, mixed, good place for kids etc?

Does anyone have any opinions one way or the other?

Hi, whats wrong way flags i live in a protestant area and i am of presbyterian stock there are a few catholics here and no one ever says anything to them. You'll be fine. Its county antrim after all expect union jacks everywhere its the norm here. But i wouldn't go there i'd go somewhere more scenic like countryside around ballymeana, south antrim is very boring. And whats this about the census data is that an attack against the protestant religion can you not live near protestants or something seriously southerners are so ignorant they think we are evil goats and we're ready to pounce on them any minute flip sake like. :rolleyes: Another thing all the protestant religions have increased in both % and numbers in the last ten years so don't think that they are decreasing the catholics are just growing quicker but they're slowing down now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

owenc any more accusations of ignorance will result in a ban. Constructive advice going forward please. Anyone attempting to derail the thread or turn it into a slanging match will be infracted and/or banned.

Posters have already explained why the flags are an issue with people who aren't from NI and calling it ignorant is unfair. Perhaps people from NI who can't understand why 'southerners' are so wary of the flags display a similar level of ignorance as you call it.

• Advertisement

Thank you pow wow

Listen im just genuinely looking for some sound advice here, not some ranting and raving. If i didnt like Protestant people then why on earth would I be engaged to one for the last 6 yrs so cop on!!

I am talking about feeling safe where you live and confident when speaking to people. Views like yours really put me off buying a house up here at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

I know a bit of a zombie thread bump but OP did you get sorted in the end?:)

I decided not to buy in the end, just didnt feel 100% comfortable.
    However, in saying that, have spent a lot of time in the area recently with visiting in laws and was in the pub for the Leinster/Ulster rugby final, feeling slightly nervous being the only Leinster supporter in the pub!
    Couple of "interesting" looking characters in there drinking at the time so decided to keep pretty quiet in my support. But at the end of the match a guy who I had randomly knocked on his door (he happened to live beside the show house) and asked about the area when we were thinkin of buying, recognised me and came over to chat and introduced me to all his friends (the people i had thought were "interesting" looking) and i have to say i was pleasantly surprised with nothing but good natured banter so perhaps i was too quick to judge unfairly.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

perhaps i was too quick to judge unfairly.:confused:
    on the other hand you might have been right!!

every area has it's fair share of nutters, though generally if you buy a round you'll be a mate forever.

You have to be 100% on a house!:)

You never really get to know an area in a few visits and this can affect our perceptions.

If you do decide to move in the future snoopy having inlaws up there has to be a good thing (assuming you get on of course!).

The rugby - Live in Leinster, Work in Ulster, Support Munster so I am well covered! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭John368

I think there is always a problem with posts like this as often people who live in the less fashionable areas will think they live in the best wee place in the world. that is not to say that Maghaberry is less fashionable than any other similar rural town/village.

Perhaps renting for a while in an area first would be a good idea. There is often a wide choice of rentable property even in the rural areas.

I thought I would update as people seem to randomly pick this thread up every now and again. I still havent bought a house yet. We had decided to move back to Armagh as the OH is from there and I quite like the city/town. Houses are cheap but the commuting costs to Belfast every day are very high so we are now back to Moira again.

Our problem is we have quite a good deposit from working in Dublin on boom time salaries but our monthly income is quite low (who says college education pays well was lying!) so we are yet again stuck! We started looking in South Belfast where we are currently renting as the area is quite nice but again no family support and broodiness is calling me these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Irish abroad

Have you settle in Moira yet?

Didnt end up buying a house in the end

Finally moved to Moira about 10 weeks ago, the village seems lovely so far!

Pop into The Meat Merchant - great place! :)

I've already been, great stuff in there. Going in again tomorrow to order 20 burgers and 20 sausages for a BBQ

Super! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 spanky007

hi was just wondering how you are getting on in Moira? I am from the south too and I am going out with a nordy as well.

We are looking at houses in magheralin and I was just wondering if you could give me some feed back on the area? any info would be greatly appreciated.

we were there this week and there was a lot of flags up and it really put us off :(

Advertisement