Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any volunteer opportunities in engineering departments Limerick area??

Options
  • 10-10-2011 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi All, I am a qualified Plasterer in my late 30's living in Limerick. I need to get experience in something else than plastering as there is no future for me here. I am thinking of applying for an engineering course and would love to get some experience in an engineering dept and to get out in the workplace again.

Does anybody know how to go about this? Volunteer websites don't have these kind of roles and to be honest I don't know where to start.

(ofcourse we have considered moving, but leaving the country without sponsorship, with four children is extremely risky and my wife is terrified).

If there's anybody who would accept volunteers in their workplace, please let me know!!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭cozzie55

ErikaHof wrote: »
    Hi All, I am a qualified Plasterer in my late 30's living in Limerick. I need to get experience in something else than plastering as there is no future for me here. I am thinking of applying for an engineering course and would love to get some experience in an engineering dept and to get out in the workplace again.

Does anybody know how to go about this? Volunteer websites don't have these kind of roles and to be honest I don't know where to start.

(ofcourse we have considered moving, but leaving the country without sponsorship, with four children is extremely risky and my wife is terrified).

If there's anybody who would accept volunteers in their workplace, please let me know!!!

I assume you are thinking of going into the civil side of engineering?
    If so I'd say get on to some of the companies in limerick and ask them for a few weeks unpaid experience. Try Arup(which is on Hartstonage street) or Punch and partners(Henry street). These are the two biggest companys in limerick which are consulting engineers and may be willing to give a week or twos experience.
    In my experience though it is very hard to get placement in limerick, I tried for 3/4 years during my degree to get something in limerick but i've never even got the hint of getting something.
    Other than that there is a lot higher chance of getting a job in Dublin for a few weeks. It would mean moving out of limerick and away from the family for a month or so but it would be worth it in the long run.

Advertisement